Start by marking “The Divine Romance” as Want to Read:
The Divine Romance

The Divine Romance

A book of power, beauty, and grandeur. Rarely has a piece of Christian literature combined the simplicity of the storytelling art with the profound depths of the Christian faith. In this sweeping saga, spanning from eternity to eternity, you will discover some of the deepest riches afforded the believer. Like some mighty symphony, here is a majestic rendition of the love ...more
Published March 15th 1993 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Romance

Lynne Stringer
Feb 05, 2015 Lynne Stringer rated it it was ok
I don't know if Gene Edwards deliberately took theological liberties in this book in the name of allegory or if he agrees with all the points he seems to make in its pages. I guess I could have misinterpreted things, but the trouble with making allegory out of scripture is that it can be taken the wrong way, and that's dangerous when you're dealing with things of God.
From the first few pages, This book seems to suggest that to be made in the image of God equates with being male. This is certainl
Colleen
Feb 10, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
This is a work of fiction that tells the story from God's perspective. From the very beginning when God created all that is, he longed to create a counterpart for himself because He was lonely. He created man (i.e., adam), in his image, but soon man was lonely and asked for a counterpart, which God made for him (i.e., Eve). God was still lonely.

Humanity fell from Grace but God still persued them to have a relationship with them, but after repeated failures on humanity's part to come back to God
Frank
Feb 25, 2012 Frank rated it liked it
As a novel this is a great book, but one that should not be taken out of the novel realm. The reader must not take the writing to represent the Christian God as revealed in Scripture. Nor the imagine of Angels to be taken as real nor what they say. I love his idea of Divine Romance and think there is a lot to be learned from the author. The famous poem "The Hound of Heaven" also talks of this Divine Romance. However one must not be confused in thinking what is written in this book is ...more
Jewell Drury
Jan 19, 2013 Jewell Drury rated it it was amazing
This is a fiction book which shares the love story of a God with his people but closer than that His love story with me .The story unravels beautifully like a play before your eyes as you get to see and hear conversations between Angels , of people through the ages as you catch a glimpse of Gods heart through the centuries . This is the best love story ever written in my view and it will compel you to the very heart of God as you become undone by his love for you .
Ben B
Mar 07, 2011 Ben B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
A very difficult book to explain or to talk about. You really just have to read it.
Todd Coburn
Oct 02, 2016 Todd Coburn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Beautiful. Intimate. Romantic.

These words spring to mind as the author paints the heart of God as it could be.

In this lovely book, the author tells the story of God and of mankind, starting with creation and culminating with the Church being reunited with Jesus Christ when she is presented to Him as His bride.

Yet Gene's perspective is unique in that his focus is on God's yearning for a love relationship and on His loving actions in crafting this relationship by giving up of Himself.

Gene artf
Jim Golden
Aug 24, 2012 Jim Golden rated it really liked it
This was not my first choice for reading being more the action or fantasy time of reader like the Lord of the Rings, but through my wife's persistance I decided to read it twice. It change my life and view of why we were created. Mr. Edwards definitely has some "inspired" info going on in this book you won't want to miss out on this revelation.
Amy Riccio
Feb 21, 2014 Amy Riccio rated it it was amazing
Gene Edwards has such insight and revelation into the mysteries of God and such a poetic, yet clear and concise way of bringing them to the page. I love the imagination mixed with truth in this story of the ultimate love of God for me.. His Bride.
Jake
May 14, 2013 Jake rated it did not like it
Some really classy writing, but the premise of a lonely God looking for a counterpart, takes the imagery of Christ and the Church to a perilous extreme. The end result is a colossally unedifying read.
Jerry
Mar 27, 2016 Jerry rated it did not like it
This book was mostly just a big mess; I bought it at a garage sale, and I still feel like I wasted my money.
Luke Jones
Jun 25, 2011 Luke Jones rated it liked it
The opening was great. Gene Edwards imagining of the Garden of Eden was really stunning. The rest of the book, however, didn't seem all that original.
Jason Collins
Aug 06, 2011 Jason Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
It is the most beautiful love story ever told...
Debbie
Dec 01, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Awesome book.
Andreea
Dec 04, 2016 Andreea rated it really liked it
Prin tehnica alegoriei Gene Edwards construiește creativ un unghi inedit al relației dintre Dumnezeu și om. Povestea fascinantă a Acelui mereu Unul care veșnic și-a dorit Mireasa, căutând-o, răscumpărând-o și aducând-o înapoi în locul din care întotdeauna a fost parte, în El.
Christopher Kanas
Feb 02, 2014 Christopher Kanas rated it really liked it
It takes me awhile to get into the prose of Gene Edwards. I must admit, when it comes to reading Christian-based material I am usually direct myself to more non-fiction, philosophical material but I was recommended Edwards "The Tale of Three Kings" and enjoyed that, and that book directed to this. And, again, I find myself appreciating Edwards perspective on this celestial and cosmological story.

The book is not without some faults. Although it is fairly short, it could be condensed even more as
Ștefan Băbălău
Mar 07, 2013 Ștefan Băbălău rated it really liked it
,,Divina Iubire,, este o carte despre putere, frumusețe și grandoare. . . Rareori a îmbinat o opera literară creștină simplitatea artei povestirii cu adâncimile profunde ale credinței creștine. În această povestire cuprinzătoare, care se întinde din veșnicie în veșnicie, vei descoperi câteva dintre cele mai adânci bogății disponibile credinciosului. Asemenea unei simfonii extraordinare, aici este una dintre cele mai maiestuoase prezentări ale dragostei lui Dumnezeu, cea mai extraordinara dintre ...more
Ken Claassen
Mar 07, 2015 Ken Claassen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in 1987. I was 13 years old. This is the book that made me want to start writing Fantasy fiction (and Christian fantasy fiction if I could swing it) in the first place. Yes, some things in here are theologically and hermeneutically questionable. Does this make it any less a great story--one that introduces those that don't know to our Great Lover's great heart for them? No. The theological and interpretive errors made in this book can be corrected with time and patience, ...more
Bethany Phillips
Jul 06, 2015 Bethany Phillips rated it really liked it
I had a very fun time reading this. It was enjoyable..

This is about the angels seeing how the world was created straight through to the death and resurrection of Jesus. It was neat seeing it from a different perspective.

Gene Edwards is an awesome author and I have enjoyed two of his other books and I was really excited to read this one. His storytelling is really entertaining and hooks me from the start. His writing is very gripping and pulls you to read what he writes about.

I love the story of
Julie
Mar 15, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this love story and would highly recommend it! It fictionally portrays how God wants our WHOLE heart, mind and soul in a relationship with Him. From Scripture we know that God is perfect and complete in every way and could not be missing anything. However, He did choose to create man for His enjoyment and He delights in us. We cannot really comprehend that kind of love, so I think this portrayal is stimulating food for creativity.

The cross and crucifixion part of the story w
Rose on aish
Jul 04, 2016 Rose on aish rated it it was amazing
The Divine Romance is awesome! It's a story based on the reality of spirit life about the creation and God's purpose for the human being from before the world was made. It illuminates a most awesome description of the bride of the Lord Jesus Christ and God's romantic passion for her. The reader is drawn into a rich encounter with Christ, because Gene Edwards used such imagination which is sparked by a deep love for Jesus. It paints an incredible picture for the believer that they might ...more
Serena
Mar 23, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it
Cast is the majestic yet lonely, longing for love & continually neglected hero...God, the Creator, the Builder, the source of all love, as He watches from the heavenlies as His creation, man & woman, experience this beautiful thing called falling in love with their counterpart. while we along with the angels eagerly hope & wait for God to have what He has yearned for since before time even began, someone to love Him...His bride. Such beautiful yet simple story telling that makes you ...more
Lorie
A book that makes categorization difficult. The Bible Study that my roommate and I hosted in 1985 consisted of ourselves and a few fine fun folks we met at University Pres.: Christopher, Patty, Rob and Barry. A few others would come and go, but this was the devoted core. Structure was casual with rotating leadership. For my turn, we read and discussed A Divine Romance. I devoured it, and was grateful to experience the obliteration of my self-serving ruts on who and what God is. How fresh was the ...more
Steve Walden
Jul 08, 2014 Steve Walden rated it really liked it
Recommended to Steve by: Leslie Walden
Years ago, in high school (class of '91), I read this with the intent of just bagging a quick read for my english teacher's assignment of reading two books per month. What I didn't realize was that it opened my eyes to the realization that God valued me much more than I ever expected. I appreciated that this book was unlike so many Christian books in that it did not go for eloquence and structure and forethought. It went for simplicity and artistry and passion. At the end, I so wanted it to keep ...more
Grace
Apr 07, 2012 Grace rated it it was amazing
This book is now one of my favorite books of all time. Yes, I do agree that this should not be taken literally, or as somewhat like the Bible, but it gives a new perspective to readers. It shows God in a different perspective, someone familiar, someone like us. We can easily relate to the God portrayed in the story and we can feel the emotions there. It touches the readers' hearts more than ever, making them feel the love of God more. It is really a wonderful read.
Matt
Oct 07, 2011 Matt rated it it was amazing

6 STARS!

This book deserves it. This book should only be read by people who have fairly good knowledge of the Bible.
This book is not "Gospel" and possibly not always %100 theologically correct? but it may be??
However it brings out certain truths in ways that are absolutly brilliant and makes you realise how much God loves us all over again.

Diane
Mar 17, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-builder
This book has stunning imagery which spoke to my soul in a profound way. It was a moment in time that led to a shake up in my life. If you have trouble understanding time, the universe and the crucifixion - this book is for you.
Devon
Sep 05, 2012 Devon rated it it was amazing
Opens up the imagination to induce awe and worship of the beauty and creativity of God. Not to be taken literally, the journey it takes you on is both whimsical and thought provoking. I dove right in!
Andrew
Aug 30, 2008 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This book literally changed my life. I have never encountered such deep pain, such beautiful Life, and such wonderful, wonderful Love. Gene Edwards reveals the heart of God in a purity that is rarely seen.
Siki Dlanga
Mar 12, 2008 Siki Dlanga rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoy creatively told stories
beauty, beauty beauty. it was written with me in mind. if you want to understand a bit of the mystery of creation, the beauty of a woman and her role incomparason to what the church is meant to be. the blble told in a way that captivates your imagination.
Erica Mbasan
Hmm I was disappointed.. I didn't like it so much. I thought there was potential for a great story but I found the author took a lot of liberty that he shouldn't have and it just wasn't good. I loved Gene Edwards' "A Tale of Three Kings" and I had hoped this would have been better.
  • Holiness Truth and Presence of
  • The Torch and the Sword
  • A Heart on Fire: Catholic Witness and the Next America
  • Secrets of the Secret Place: Keys to Igniting Your Personal Time with God
  • Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith
  • Spiritual Writings: Gift, Creation, Love: Selections from the Upbuilding Discourses
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Experiencing the Presence of God: Teachings From the Book of Hebrews
  • Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future
  • The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus
  • Sit, Walk, Stand
  • If You Will Ask: Reflections on the Power of Prayer
  • The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament
31941
Gene Edwards is one of America's most beloved Christian authors. He has published over 25 best-selling books, and his signature work, "The Divine Romance," has been called a masterpiece of Christian literature. He has written biblical fiction covering nearly the entire Bible, with titles that include the following: "The Beginning," "The Escape," "The Birth," "The Divine Romance," "The Triumph," ...more
More about Gene Edwards...

“All sin was now accumulated in one place—in him. Divinity” 0 likes
“So this is how it feels to be a man tempted—face to face—by the tempter. So” 0 likes