Start by marking “The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power and Pageantry in the Reign of Nicholas II” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  247 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Praise for The Court of the Last Tsar

"Any book by Greg King is a book to be kept and savored. He has not only given us a fresh, clear-eyed, and often startling new look at the life of the last Romanovs, but also lived up to the promise of his title. He has shown us how the whole enterprise worked, from Tsar Nicholas to his lowest cook and chambermaid. This book is a great
Published March 1st 2006 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Court of the Last Tsar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Court of the Last Tsar

Nancy
May 31, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok
There's that old playground saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Well, Greg King started to fool me the second time, but I finally wised up. Abandoned. In retrospect, it's telling that the "reviews" are all by authors of similar works; I'm sure he returned the favor.

This is shallow and gossipy and patronizing. Affairs and jewels and feuds; so much for the worsening world situation, domestic political upheaval, or the plight of the peasants. As for the patronizing, j
Shane
Oct 21, 2009 Shane rated it really liked it
If you enjoy stories about jeweled frocks and crowned heads, with a healthy dose of Russian absolutism mixed in, you'll like this book. I've read many books about the Romanovs, but this is the one that gave me the greatest insight (subject to the author's prejudices) into how they actually lived.
Michael Llewellyn
Aug 21, 2013 Michael Llewellyn rated it really liked it
There are numerous books and films about Russia's last tsar, but author Greg King's contribution is exemplary for its detailed behind-the-scenes look at how these people lived, loved and died as the three-centuries-old Romanov dynasty careened toward its last gasp. Thoroughly researched and handsomely illustrated, it details everything from the tsar's daily routines and private family life to the ponderous protocol of funerals, coronations, weddings and imperial balls. Related in a rich, compell ...more
MeriBeth
Oct 22, 2014 MeriBeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Greg King’s Court of the Last Tsar is a detailed accounting of the royal court surrounding the last of the Russian Tsars. King not only details the Imperial family itself but the complex hierarchy of the Household servants and the Courtiers. He explains the interrelationships between the military, religion, and aristocrats and how their isolation from the bulk of the Russian population helped lead to the downfall of Tsarist Russia.

Additionally, King spends time describing in detail the various r
Tdempsey
May 01, 2012 Tdempsey rated it it was amazing
Great history. Well written and researched.

I didn't read every single word in every chapter, but got a good solid dose. This is extremely interesting stuff to me.

I learned an interesting tidbit by accident. I had always assumed that Red Square was named that by the Red Communists after they sprang to power at the time they murdered the last tsar and family. But it was called Red Square well before they ever took over!

Anyway - if you have any interest in Russian history, the Romanovs, etc. - chec
Liz
Aug 31, 2009 Liz marked it as to-read
Biography...was one of the recommended books from the "Tragedy at Ekaterineburg" at least I think that's what it was called. I finished it a couple weeks ago. Anyway, this one has a lot of previously unknown/unused info and the author is supposed to be quite good.
Sylvia
May 20, 2015 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-copy
One of the least sympathetic books in tone towards the Romanovs. King is half in awe, half slightly disgusted with the excess and the opulence of the Russian Court. A detailed and honest look at the complex world that was the old Russian Court.
Donna Jo Atwood
Dec 19, 2009 Donna Jo Atwood rated it really liked it
Lots of trivia type info about Russia's royal family up to the Revolution. Includes stuff about the officials and the residences. lots of pictures, appendices, gossip.
Task 25.9
Donna
Apr 30, 2013 Donna rated it liked it
Each chapter a different aspect of the court: family, clothes, parties. Meh. I love this stuff, but if you don't already, there's better.
Wurtsboroboy
Aug 15, 2013 Wurtsboroboy rated it really liked it
It took me almost a year to finish this but it was well worth it. An excellent history of how the Romanovs lived there lives.
Julie
Oct 30, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Interesting read.
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Beth Ann
Beth Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Eric Theriault
Eric Theriault marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Alejandra Coindreau
Alejandra Coindreau marked it as to-read
Laura Vinal
Laura Vinal rated it it was amazing
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Krista
Krista is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Dorothy
Dorothy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Samantha Wade
Samantha Wade marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
  • The Camera and the Tsars: The Romanov Family in Photographs
  • Nicholas and Alexandra: The Last Tsar and Tsarina
  • From Splendor to Revolution: The Romanov Women, 1847--1928
  • Once a Grand Duchess: Xenia,  Sister of Nicholas II
  • A Lifelong Passion: Nicholas and Alexandra: Their Own Story
  • Tsar: The Lost World of Nicholas and Alexandra
  • Little Mother of Russia: A Biography of the Empress Marie Feodorovna (1847-1928)
  • Michael and Natasha: The Life and Love of Michael II, the Last of the Romanov Tsars
  • The Flight Of The Romanovs: A Family Saga
  • King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led The World To War
  • Ella: Princess, Saint and Martyr
  • The Last Days of the Romanovs: Tragedy at Ekaterinburg
  • Alix and Nicky: The Passion of the Last Tsar and Tsarina
  • Lost Splendor: The Amazing Memoirs of the Man Who Killed Rasputin
  • Anastasia's Album: The Last Tsar's Youngest Daughter Tells Her Own Story
  • An Uncommon Woman - The Empress Frederick: Daughter of Queen Victoria, Wife of the Crown Prince of Prussia, Mother of Kaiser Wilhelm
  • Alexandra: The Last Tsarina
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
Greg King (born 1964) is an American author, best known for his biographies of prominent historical figures.

He is the author of eleven internationally published works of royal and social history, specializing in late Imperial Russia and Edwardian-era royalty, including The Fate of the Romanovs, The Court of the Last Tsar, and the UK bestseller The Duchess of Windsor. A frequent onscreen expert and
More about Greg King...