Start by marking “52” as Want to Read:

52 (52)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The epic follow-up to Infinite Crisis-starring the superheroes of the DC Comics universe.

Earth's greatest protectors-Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman-have vanished. The cities of Metropolis and Gotham are overrun with criminal activity both on the streets and behind the closed doors of powerful corporations as villains take advantage of the absence of superheroes.

In th
Published July 3rd 2007 by Ace Trade (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 52, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 52

BookMarc
The concept of DC Universe's novel '52' is very original in that it deals with a year in the life of earth without it's main superhero guardians...Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. It comprises of 52 chapters with each chapter dealing with the events that occur within that particular week. The focus of the novel then is actually built around characters that are not so familiar in the mainstream and, although I had my trepidations as I wasn't familiar with some of them, this turned out to be sur ...more
Jim C
A novel that is set in the DC universe. This one takes place right after Infinite Crisis. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are not around to save the day and lesser known heroes fill their shoes. This book has three different storylines that deal with Booster Gold, Batwoman, and the Question and all three storylines will intersect.

I have to first say that Greg Cox does a fantastic job with the novelization of the comic books. I am not the most ardent DC follower but I had no problem with the l
David
First, let me say that the author who adapted this material did a GREAT job with it. He managed to draw wonderful word pictures with fantastic prose, solid similes, and expand on the thinking and characterization of the characters.

Sadly, the material he had to work with didn't really excite me much. First, I was unfamiliar with this particular series, and the image of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman at the top of the cover was extremely misleading. We saw absolutely no appearance of these ch
Jeph
I listened to 52 in Audiobook form which was an experience unto itself. 52 is a series of comic books/graphic novels in the DC universe. It immediately follows the Infinite Crisis series and follows a few choice storylines of the comic series. In 52, following the Infinite Crisis, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman are all missing or out of action. It is left to the rookies and sub-heroes of the world to fill the shoes.

Fans of Justice League and especially Justice League Unlimited will recognize
Marcus
How many stars does a "meh" rate?

Okay, it wasn't terrible. At times it just seemed contrived. Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman are all out of action or otherwise engaged. Similarly, their arch nemesis are also absent (Lex Luthor, Joker, et al). It was like, "Hey, I've conveniently gotten heroes a/b/c and villans x/y/z out of the picture so now I can play with minor heroes d/e/f..."

Then you have Black Adam (from the Captain Marvel series) sharing center stage with Booster Gold (superhero from
Sam
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Greg Cox’s novelization of Infinite Crisis I decided to try his novelization of 52 as well. It is the story of the DC Universe in the immediate aftermath of Infinite Crisis. For the most part I really enjoyed this book, the story of a DCU without not only the big three but seemingly missing any of the more well know heroes was a lot of fun. The book is really three separate stories. The first story being the seeming redemption on Black Adam and then his ultimat ...more
Jason
While some of the writing was kind of "meh" - I'll give Greg Cox major props getting 52 weeks worth of multiple comic storylines down to 1 coherent book. I have a new appreciation for the character of Black Adam as well... great story arc. I wouldn't really recommend this book for anyone who isn't a fan of DC or comics in general. Definitely an interesting experience "reading" about these characters rather than seeing them inked out, especially with such a sprawling, epic story.
Keith Bell
Story of what happens when the Big 3 (Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman) are not around. (Events between Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis). Good story with lots of twists (almost too many). A couple of the story lines are good enough and would have been better as separate stories all together.

COOLEST thing to come out of this though, is that I did some research on Captain Marvel Jr. and found him to have been an influence on Elvis's look. Way Cool!!
Marzouq
There is nothing more enticing then a book that brings out your imagination and you can't seem to put down. This is the book that brought back memories, in a world where superheroes have to fight without the powers of Superman, Wonder woman, or Batman to help. Its an amazing story that pulls you in and ties everything together, I loved it and couldn't get enough of it. This would be my book of the year.
Andrew Perron
The original 52 maxiseries was a fun but flawed work, with high highs and low lows. This book, understandably, had to pick and choose from the storylines of the weekly series; unfortunately, they chose to cut some of the most interesting. The result preserves most of the lows and tosses out many of the highs. It's not a bad read, but I recommend the original comics.
Scott
A three-star rating solely for the fact that the "Multi-verse" is a bit beyond me. I must be too old or something. The writing was good, the story (eventually) kept me coming back to the book ... it's just difficult for me to rate a book with so many heroes whom I've never heard of. I did learn about them (through necessity) and once I did that, it helped.
Matt Randall
The thing I liked most about this book is that they didnt include the big three (Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman) instead they focused on a bunch of minor characters. Decent plot and pace throughout.
Earl
The only disappointing part is that in the end of The 52, we are back to zero as if all the major events in the first 51 episodes have been rendered barely significant. Well, maybe except for Black Adam.
Craig Leimkuehler
This book apparently so bad that I have only the vaguest memory of reading it. Apparently from my notes I said that it looked like it was slapped together on a long weekend. This is not good sign.
Mark
52 comes right after Infinite Crisis.
Another excellent Graphic Audio full cast DC Comics production, Part 1 & 2
Richard Rohan is the man. Best Narrator.
Jeremy DeBottis
I'd read some real heavy books prior to this. It was a light action story. Just plain fun. The perfect thing to relax your brain.
Sean
Greg Cox utilizes an INSANE vocabulary to tell one of the best stories I've read in a long, long time.
Ralph Chua
Even comic books can have deep and engaging stories!
Foggygirl
a somewhat mind boggling time travel story.
Glen
As always Greg Cox is awesome
Jeremy E.  Evans
Four stars for the audiobook.
Michael
Read the 52 comic book series. Then read this. The novel does skip a few character plotlines that were in the comic book series, but again Greg Cox meshes it altogether so it is a more streamlined and enjoyable read.
☯Bettie☯
Bridget
Bridget marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Justice League of America Superman: The Never-Ending Battle
  • Batman: Inferno
  • The New Teen Titans: Games
  • X-Men: Empire's End
  • Wolverine: Lifeblood (Wolverine (Mass))
  • Batman: Captured by the Engines
  • Civil War
  • Batman: No Man's Land
  • Exterminators
  • The Batman Murders
  • Batwing, Vol. 1: The Lost Kingdom
Underworld (Underworld, #1) Q-Space (Star Trek: The Next Generation #47; The Q Continuum, #1) The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #1) The Dark Knight Rises: The Official Novelization Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)