Start by marking “The One Percenters” as Want to Read:
The One Percenters

The One Percenters

Natural selection has become unnatural. Having dealt with the vicious murder of his wife, Edward Caine takes his rightful place as a One-Percenter, eliminating those not fit for the human race. He must fight his instinct to use his role for revenge; he is after those who live on only because of money and medicine.

The weak-gened are not fit to breed, and it's the job of Ed
Published September 1st 2009 by Damnation Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The One Percenters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One Percenters

Sally
Sep 21, 2011 Sally rated it liked it
I’ll come right out and say it - The One Percenters is a very strange, very awkward read, the kind of story that’s hard to peg as belonging to any one genre. This is a story that’s written in a casual, conversational tone, but filtered through one very disturbed mind. You come into it expecting one kind of read, but find yourself trapped in something very different.

That’s not to say it’s a bad read, just a different one.

The concept here is definitely intriguing. The story revolves around a man
Kimmy
Feb 29, 2012 Kimmy rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the idea behind this book. It turned out to be a quick read, but I just couldn't get into it the way I wanted to. I found it very difficult to connect with Edward, possibly because of the first-person narrative. Edward has some views on the world that I don't particularly agree with, such as his constant use of the words 'slut' and 'bitch' when talking about women.

While there are other characters in the book, they come and go pretty quickly, and so the only character the reade
Caroline Barker
Sep 16, 2013 Caroline Barker rated it liked it
In this dark psychological thriller/horror, The One Percenters, the reader has an insight into the mind of Edward Caine, who believes himself to be a one-percenter. A one percenter is one that can assist the natural selection process by ending the lives of those that do not seem fit to breed. Those that are only alive due to advances in medicine, technology and money.

Edward did not always think in this manner but after his wife’s rape and murder by a serial killer his mind drifts over time (and
Lark Neville
Apr 04, 2010 Lark Neville rated it it was ok
Offering a very distinctive narrative voice The One Percenters by John W. Podgursky captures interest with its first line. Edward Pritchard Cain is a unique and compelling lead character, but unfortunately there are elements within the novel that take away from it being a complete success.
Readers are asked to understand and sympathize with a killer from the start. Cain feels he is charged with a mission to restore the balance in a world where technology has interfered in the evolutionary process
Gef
Jan 17, 2011 Gef rated it liked it
Reading John Podgursky's novel, there were moments when I was reminded a little of Patrick McCabe's Butcher Boy, mainly because of the first-hand account from the mind of a killer, and then moments when I was reminded of that movie Identity, because the protagonist Ed Caine's journey through mourning, death, and discovery plays subtle and not-so-subtle jabs at his reality.

Ed Caine describes himself as a One-Percenter in his first person account of life in the wake of his wife's murder. A One-Per
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
Mar 16, 2011 Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Horror fans
In this book we meet Edward Caine, a man who has lost his everything-- his wife, Jill.

This basically send him into a downward spiral, a low in his life. When he hits the bottom though, he doesn't lose all hope, he takes his rightful place in the world. As a One Percenter. One of the few people that rids the world of the weak-gened, one of the few who will balance out the world. His first act, killing his friend and lover. I found this strange, and shocking though I don't know why. I liked the bo
Paul
Oct 08, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is about a man who finds his purpose in life, but not through any of the usual ways.

Edward is your average married man. He is now on the receiving end of the wrong kind of notoriety, after his wife was a victim of a serial killer. After several months of dealing with people's attempts at sympathy, Edward abruptly moves several states away. His plan is to make a fresh start.

Already in a downward emotional spiral, Edward hooks up with Cristen. They exchange stories of their difficult childhoo
Maria
Apr 27, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
I am so conflicted with this book because on the one hand, I loved loved loved the concept of this book. But on the other hand, the ending frustrated me so much. Let me explain...

The book revolves around a man named Edward Caine who is insanely in love with his wife - I mean, completely adores and cherishes her. And then, the unthinkable happens - she is raped and murdered by a serial killer. That is when Edward's life spins out of control and he comes to this conclusion: 98% of the human popula
The One Percenters is an incredibly quick read, but despite that many readers may find it challenging to get through due to the fact that it is an interesting and detailed journey through the mind of a seriously disturbed individual. Podgursky wrote a book that really toys with the reader’s mind. His writing is the strongest point of this work. It’s conversational in tone but incredibly memorable due to its raw and atmospheric qualities. The protagonist is very well done, but can be hard to rela ...more
Nancy
Oct 09, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
An interesting but very violent book is The One Percenters. Edward Caine has decided to rid our world of the nothings, the users and the people whom he thinks have wronged him. Whether they did or not doesn’t matter. He had been lost since the murder/rape of his wife and, while he mourned her, he was doing his best to glorify her at the same time. Jill had been his life and now that she was gone he was basically a shell.
Then it hits him – a lot of people aren’t fit to be alive. And so it becomes
Tara
Mar 20, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 16+
Recommended to Tara by: the author
I really glad this author contacted me because it made me realize how much I miss reading thriller books. This book is really different from the ones I am used to reading but I like it. It keeps you in suspense is the main character a killer or is he making this whole thing up? The only thing I did not really like was there was a lot of swearing. Also that some parts kind of dragged on and on. But other than that I really liked this book and totally did not expected the ending. I would recommend ...more
Courtney Conant
May 15, 2011 Courtney Conant rated it it was ok
I found myself very conflicted when reading this novel. The concept really intrigued me and kept me moving forward but I found my mind wandering off to other things instead of staying focused on the book. I don't blame this wholly on the book, but the formatting was so bad that I found it rather distracting. Of course, the formatting was only an issue with the ebook version, not necessarily the print copy...

Read the full review at Courtney's Reads & Reviews
Karen & Gerard
Sep 24, 2011 Karen & Gerard rated it really liked it
This psychological thriller contains some rough language that I didn't appreciate reading; however, that aside, the story itself is really good! Edward Caine creates his own little world and tells a fantastic tale that kept me reading for sure. The ending was a shocker to me! This is a good read if you can get past the bad language. This is the author's first book and I was surprised at how good it is!
(Gerard's review)
Teri Mallozzi
This book was written by my friend's cousin. It's a very different book for me, about a disturbed person. It kept me guessing until the end - even though there were hints along the way. It is very "dark" - skeptical views about life and the world and women. But thought provoking. If you are looking for something quick and different - give it a try.
Kayla
I could not get into this book. Though the idea of it seemed promising, it just wasn't enough to hold my interest. Random events seemed pieced together for no reason whatsoever, and I gave up trying to understand character decisions. I probably won't be attempting to read this again.
Jack Phoenix
Jan 29, 2013 Jack Phoenix rated it liked it
A quick read, The One Percenters is a surprisingly well-written gem from a small publisher but might leave casual readers scratching their heads.
Meredith Martin
Meredith Martin rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Ana Mardoll
Ana Mardoll rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2011
Colleen Wanglund
Colleen Wanglund rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2009
Captivated By
Captivated By rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2012
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2013
Marie Roy
Marie Roy rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2009
Damnation Books publisher
Damnation Books publisher rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2009
Tracy Dobbs
Tracy Dobbs rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2010
Jessebell
Jessebell rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2009
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2010
D. Alexx Miller
D. Alexx Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2010
Chessly Nesci
Chessly Nesci marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2010
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2011
Wenj
Wenj marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2011
Fiendishly Bookish
Fiendishly Bookish marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2011
Apr 22, 2011
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
May 15, 2011
Louisa
Louisa marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2011
Oct 05, 2011
Oct 07, 2011
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2011
Beckie
Beckie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2011
R.J. Gonzales
R.J. Gonzales marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2011
Emily McCune
Emily McCune marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012