Celandine (Touchstone Trilogy, #2)

Celandine (Touchstone Trilogy #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  411 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Set seventy years before The Various, the second book in the trilogy follows the adventures of young Celandine at the onset of the First World War. Having run away from her detested boarding school, Celandine is too afraid to go home in case she is sent back. As she seeks shelter in the Wild Wood near her home, little does she think she will encounter a world where loyalty...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by David Fickling Books (first published November 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Celandine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celandine

Tithe by Holly BlackThe Hunter's Moon by O.R. MellingThe Iron King by Julie KagawaDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningThe Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann
Sidhe
79th out of 197 books — 41 voters
The Giver by Lois LowryWhere the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
Best kid books
133rd out of 162 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

James Comey
Steve Augarde writes with remarkable brushstrokes of color and character. He blends frail and strong people and "Little People" with unexpected story lines that encircle with cords of concern. Imagery, rich in the smells and sounds of the land, contrast with the brutal behavior of girls in an austere boarding school. In this second offering of the Touchstone Trilogy, Augarde successfully mixes psychology, mysticism, war(on many levels), family, loss and discovery, and the fierce determination to...more
Amy
I thought this was the first of the series. I'll have to go find the first one now. That says something about it though, that it can be the second and not be dependent on the first. That's rare sometimes in a middle book. I wonder what the first is about?

jennifer
Book 2 in this series was definitely better then Book 1. The storyline is beginning to take more shape and it becomes clear that this book is not really about "faires" or "The Various" as they are called in the book, but instead about the family on who's land they reside, and the relationship that develops with this family across generations. In this light, this story, and this book in particular, is more about a young girl's struggles in her life and how her relationship with the little folk he...more
NebraskaIcebergs
“She was running away for the third time. How terrible it would be if she were caught again.” With just these two sentences, Celadine by Steve Augarde proves more riveting but also darker than The Various: the first book in the Touchstone trilogy. Unlike its predecessor which I found in the juvenile section of my local library, Celadine was properly shelved as young adult. It is more disturbing, unsettling, and controversial. Whatever will the third book be like?

In Celadine, we are thrust back i...more
Rosie
I have to say that when I first picked up 'The Various' around age ten, I found the book rather tedious despite my love of the subject matter - fairies, or 'the little people'. I, however, persisted, and made my way through 'Celandine', the prequel to 'The Various' and 'Winetr Wood'. I enjoyed 'Celandine' much more than 'The Various' yet failed to pick up a copy of 'Winter Wood' until sometime earlier this year. Having reread the first two books in the trilogy, I can now appreciate the near-flaw...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

In book two of THE TOUCHSTONE TRILOGY, we are introduced to Celandine and her life in 1915.

Her governess is horrible and enjoys making her life miserable. When she's sent off to boarding school, she hopes things will be better. Instead, she discovers things can and do get worse. She's bullied and accused of being a witch, and to make matters worse, her country is at war with Germany.

When Celandine has the chance, she runs away from school and goes t...more
Joani
Now that I'm nearly done reading 'Celandine' I am wishing I had gone back and read 'The Various' to refresh my mind, which is rarely compared to a steel trap. However, there's always next time, and there will be a next time. 'Celandine' is the second in a trilogy which crosses the borders of time, existence and reality. In it, we get to meet Celandine, Midge's predecessor, made famous in 'The Various'. I always like a heroine who is extraordinary but even more ordinary and Celandine is that.
Thi...more
Purlewe
This is a wonderful story of the Various. There are 2 tales in this book. One is of the Ickri and their journey back to the Naiad to find the Orbis and reunite the Touchstone with it. The other of Celandine, which starts out as a little girl who fell down the hill during the Coronation party. While laying in the shade she first spies the Various in the trees.

The story follows Celandine while she is tormented in a horrible boarding school (being Austrian during WW1 was no picnic, but this school...more
Hilary
Sequel to 'The Various' or, actually, prequel: this takes us back to 1915 and the story of Celandine, Midge's ancestor and the first of her family to encounter the Various. This is very much a book of two halves: the story of Celandine, which is largely taken up with a long, miserable period of exile at a strictly-run boarding school peopled by hateful fellow-students and teachers who are little better and, running alongside that, the Ickri's pilgrimage from the cold north in search of their los...more
Brown

I'm not really a fan of the "everyone else is an abnormally unreasonable/obsessive bully, therefore the main character is 'special'" cliche.
This book was interesting at times, but there are probably some better things to read.
Lisa
Sep 12, 2008 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jade, Becky
Rather more substantial than the first book in the series, this deals with the history hinted at in 'The Various' - Midge's great aunt Celandine and her encounters with the 'little people' (and various others, including the dreadful lot at Mount Pleasant school).

I found this book completely engrossing, and the depictions of the little folk are unlike most found in books. These are no charming, pretty little fairies or elves, but ragged little tribes eking out a meager existence in the woods, liv...more
Caitlin Lillie
Hard to get into, but once I was one hundred pages in I was hooked.
Carly
I absolutely am in love with this book and Celandine and the Various themselves. I realize I started the series on the second book, but hopefully (it being a prequel) it didn't spoil too much fun. I found myself browsing the Teen section of the library and am surprised by the intriguing books I have added on my to read list. This book tells a timeless ageless story. I will be encouraging my 8 year old son to read it as well. For a "children's" or "teen" book it has absolutely no cheesiness whats...more
Nicola
I loved the story and the characters. I didn't know what it was about when I started reading, so I instantly fell in love with this book when I found out that it's not about Midge but about Celandine, playing in 1915. But the ending disappointed me a little bit, because there were SO many strange encounters in this book, but none of them were explained. None. So that leaves me hoping for the third book, which I'm definitely gonna read.
Yasmin
Jul 16, 2014 Yasmin added it
I picked this up having no idea what it would be: no dust jacket information, the back cover only says, "Not everything in this world should be seen by us, nor should it be...", and I didn't have the time to read the first pages or find a book I'd actually heard of. If I had read the first few pages, I probably wouldn't have read it, but then I'd miss out on something amazing.
Cupcake Girl
Celandine is a rather naughty girl which is half of what made this book so fun. When she attacks her evil governess, Miss Bell, and makes her leave, Celandine is sent to a boarding school. With Horrible teachers and nasty girls how will Celandine survive? Answer: She runs away 3 times. Once she runs away she seeks refuge with the various.
Susie
I read this 2nd book in the trilogy first. So far, I'm not sorry, because book 1 (The Various) happens much later in the timeline. This book has some fairly depressing parts during Celandine's boarding school experience, but has a satisfying ending. Not necessarily happy, but satisfying.
Catherine
I didn't actually finish this before I had to take it back to the library.

While it's well-written it didn't grab me and I wonder if it would grab any teen/young adult readers. Perhaps I didn't give it long enough.
Cheryl Estorgio - Pontillas
I believe that there is an explanation of everything- although we shall never know the explanation for everything. Not everything in this world can be understood by us. Nor should it be. It is not necessary.+
Joseph Levesque
Jenny
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this after finishing The Various, and it lived up to the anticipation. Definitely up there with The Stolen Child and every other wonderful magical children's adventure tale.
Flower
Liking this series. Can you believe my library and the ones they can borrow from only have book 1 and 2 but not 3. This is some kind of trick to get me to buy books. I do want to read the 3rd one.
Taylor
This was a charming and fun trip through WWI England and Faery-Land. Not the greatest writing, but a compelling story and interesting characters. Apparently not particularly remarkable.
Liz Yardley
Really interesting. This book caught me unawares. Not just an elf story. This is beautifully told from the POV of a young girl with challenging behaviour.
Grace
This book was a very good read! I enjoyed it, and am currently reading the first of the Trilogy.
Jane
I actually took a break in the middle of this one. It's very long. Looking forward to the 3rd.
Roseann
Love the fantasy of the little people and really like Celandine - or Dinah- so far. We'll seee...
CJ
It wasn't as delightful as the first one, but it provided some mystery.
Rose
Celandine: Book 2 in the Touchstone Trilogy by Steve Augarde (2009)
Lilly
Amazing book. Truly inspiring and creative.Simply wonderful
  • Haunted Warrior (Highlander, #6)
  • Anatopsis
  • Toby and the Secrets of the Tree (Tobie Lolness, #2)
  • Warrior's Last Gift (Warrior, #1.5)
  • Down a Lost Road (The Lost Road Chronicles, #1)
  • Aching for Always
  • The Hugo Movie Companion: A Behind the Scenes Look at How a Beloved Book Became a Major Motion Picture
  • Moonshadow: Rise of the Ninja (Moonshadow, #1)
  • Eirelan
  • Heart of Gold (The Laws of Magic, #2)
  • Path of Revenge (Broken Man, #1)
  • Eye of the Sword (The Angelaeon Circle, #2)
  • Strange and Secret Peoples: Fairies and Victorian Consciousness
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 02
  • The Third Heiress
  • Nightpeople (Darklands, #1)
  • Moonlight and Ashes
  • Pennies for Hitler
12030
I began writing children's books when I was at art college, which means that I’ve spent over thirty years as a children's author. Must be nearly time to grow up. About eighty titles published to date, I think. These include story books and pop-ups for younger readers, as well as my more recent novels for older children. I'm also an illustrator and paper-engineer, and you can see examples of this t...more
More about Steve Augarde...
The Various (Touchstone Trilogy, #1) X Isle Winter Wood (Touchstone Trilogy, #3) Leonardo Da Vinci When I Grow Up

“I believe there is an explanation for everything - although we shall never know the explanation for everything. Not everything in this world can be understood by us, nor should it be. It is not necessary.” 3 likes