Start by marking “The 10th Victim” as Want to Read:
The 10th Victim

The 10th Victim (Victim #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  390 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The 10th Victim (La decima vittima) is an Italian cult sf film directed by Elio Petri in 1965. It is based on Robert Sheckley's 1953 short story "Seventh Victim". He published a novelization of the film in 1966.
The film begins with a man chasing a woman thru the streets whilst shooting at her. He's stopped by a policeman for questioning. The man shows his licence to kill.
Published September 1st 1987 by Roc (first published December 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The 10th Victim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 10th Victim

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsBattle Royale by Koushun TakamiMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica Roth
Let the (deadly) games begin!
53rd out of 105 books — 241 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankCatch-22 by Joseph HellerThe Complete Stories by Franz KafkaThe Chosen by Chaim PotokNight by Elie Wiesel
The Best of Jewish Authors
275th out of 455 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
Dec 05, 2013 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Das ist also Sheckleys Roman zum Film, der wiederum nach seiner Kurzgeschichte "The Seventh Victim" gedreht wurde. Noch sehr viel absurder ist die Handlung, deren Humor stellenweise gelungen, stellenweise aber eher fragwürdig ist. Insgesamt wirkt dieser Roman sehr den 60iger Jahren verhaftet; gelegentlich charmant, oft angestaubt.
In nicht allzu ferner Zukunft hat man Kriege abgeschafft, an ihre Stelle treten "Opfer" und "Täter", die sich in der zivilen Gesellschaft im Sinne der Brot & Spiele
Seth
Sep 05, 2007 Seth rated it really liked it
This book is an expansion of the Sheckley's story Seventh Victim. It is also the source for the (very fun) Marcello Matroianni vehicle by the same name.

It is also part of a loose trilogy of books exploring the effects of popularizing/accepting the media fascination with violence. The other two are Hunter/Victim and Victim Prime.

The three books together tell the story of how a society embraces controlled violence as the solution to uncontrolled violence and its effects on people. The books run i
Jim
Jan 27, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok
I loved the short story. This novelization appears to have been made for a Marcello Mastroianni/ Ursula Andress film, and it read like a trifle, with Sheckley jamming his elbow in my ribs repeatedly
Gcoritsidis
Nov 11, 2013 Gcoritsidis rated it really liked it
A future where the Hunt (which began in 1990) pits person vs. person in a battle to the death, the goal being to wean mankind away from mass war thru this officially sanctioned system of approved murder. The Hunts consists of 10 rounds, where combatants alternate between Hunter and Victim (hence the title). Winners get fame and fortune, losers get eternity in a pine box! 10th Victim is a counterintuitively a light satire (killings are televised and accompanied by post-kill dance numbers), with t ...more
Raro de Concurso
Sep 26, 2011 Raro de Concurso rated it liked it
Sheckley, de su cuento corto "la séptima víctima" decidió desarrollar más el tema y hacer una novela. Tampoco diría que es realmente una novela, ya que su extensión la haría quedarse en cuento largo. Pero en cualquier caso intenta sacar partido de una original idea para una trama literaria: la legalización mundial del asesinato, como deporte, mediante una serie de reglas.
En lo que en el cuento corto se vuelve rápido desenlace, con sorpresa final, aquí, en una novela llena de humor y diálogos ab
Kfir Luzzatto
Jan 08, 2016 Kfir Luzzatto rated it it was amazing
Possibly the funniest of Sheckley's books, but also (at the time) incredibly original. I reread it after 30 years and found it as entertaining as when I read it for the first time.
Karen
May 11, 2015 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-good
An entertaining short novel with an interesting premise. Sheckley's style of absurdism doesn't quite meet my preferences, but this one was pretty good. I don't know if I'll read the others in the series.
Luca
Capolavoro della SF sociologica, anticipa con preoccupante precisione il ruolo dei mass media - della TV in primis - nella società.
Voss
Jan 16, 2015 Voss rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
un racconto più bello dell'altro.
E tutti attualissimi.
Questi sì che è fantascienza predittiva :)
Jack
Jul 10, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it
I'd almost forgotten how delightful this little novelette could be. I last read it some 35 years ago in the late 70's. I'm not sure why I hadn't picked it up again.

You won't find anything surprising or edifying in this book (other than some of the words Sheckley used), but it is a fun romp as long as you're not expecting anything profound. Sort of like Ron Goulart's books, there is a certain amount of camp and droll humor slapped against the wall in a slightly off-hand manner.

Need some mind can
Matt
Feb 27, 2014 Matt rated it it was ok
Good, but not nearly meeting my expectations after read The Status Civilization. It's way better. This was just, meh...
Tom
Jun 05, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent if a bit light. The ending was a pleasant surprise.
RC
May 25, 2015 RC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Sheckley story but undermined by the ending.
Milo22
Apr 23, 2013 Milo22 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peccato che un libro come questo, contenente racconti che sono vere perle, sia oggi quasi introvabile. Gli amanti de "La guida galattica per gli autostoppisti" o gli estimatori dei romanzi e racconti più ironici di Stanislaw Lem non possono lasciarsi sfuggire questa raccolta, frutto del dell'incontro tra ironia e intelligenza. Se poi non avete ancora visto il film (un po' datato) non fatevi sfuggire l'occasione di leggere il bellissimo racconto che dà il titolo alla raccolta, degno della miglior ...more
Jaime
Nov 15, 2014 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tres relatos muy buenos, dos pasables, los demas los senti muy pasados de moda
Wayne
Jun 27, 2010 Wayne rated it it was amazing
Robert Sheckley holds a special place in my heart as one of those rare SF novelists who really know how to write. He is also very funny. This book is one of his most entertaining and amusing, with great dialogue like the following:
Says a spurned mistress, "If I didn't love you so much, I would kill you."
"You may yet," Poletti said.
"Quite possibly," Olga said. "But first you must see me in my new dress."
Joseph
Dec 15, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this satirical, near future novel. Quick read. The writing is good, and the plot moves along briskly. Many of the reviews I have read say that the short story is better, and I will seek that out in the future. This may be the first Robert Sheckley I have read besides the collaborative novels with Roger Zelazny, and I look forward to reading more.
Jacob
Jul 24, 2010 Jacob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A goofy little book based on a goofy little movie based on a decent but predictable short story. This is a dystopian fiction only recommended for fans of Sheckley or fans of humor that (only) comes about due to repetition.
Erik Graff
Feb 16, 2012 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sheckley fans
Recommended to Erik by: Rick Strong
Shelves: sf
Sheckley wrote a short story, sold the rights, a movie was made and then he produced the movie tie-in novel. The novel is pretty poor. I'd be interested in seeing the original short story.
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 Alan added it
The problem arises in that it was a short story. Then the movie came out. The 7th victim. All this led to a game when I was a freshman in college. Hunters and the hunted.
Victor
Dec 10, 2014 Victor rated it liked it
Cheap fun older sci-fi. Reminiscent of Death Race. This was Hunger Games before hunger games. And without the hunger. Very quick to read, not much heavy thought.
Mike Lester
Jul 05, 2012 Mike Lester marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to this. One of my favorite films, and hopefully soon to be one of my favorite books.
R.
Jul 12, 2009 R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The Most Dangerous Love Connection.

***

Sexist and racist, more so than the other 2
Tom Loock
May 12, 2012 Tom Loock rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, pre-1982-read
If you like the movie, you will love the book which is much better.
Christine
Not my usual for Sci-fi, but an interesting read, nonetheless.
Casey
Casey added it
Feb 04, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • La foire aux immortels (Nikopol #1)
  • They Walked Like Men
  • Men, Martians and Machines
  • Maska (Stanisław Lem. Dzieła, #29)
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years From Home
  • The Iron Dream
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • If at Faust You Don't Succeed (Millennial Contest, #2)
  • The Wind Whales of Ishmael
  • Иван Васильевич
  • Holy Smoke
  • Unforgettable
  • The Waltz Invention
One of science fiction's great humorists, Sheckley was a prolific short story writer beginning in 1952 with titles including "Specialist", "Pilgrimage to Earth", "Warm", "The Prize of Peril", and "Seventh Victim", collected in volumes from Untouched by Human Hands (1954) to Is That What People Do? (1984) and a five-volume set of Collected Stories (1991). His first novel, Immortality, Inc. (1958), ...more
More about Robert Sheckley...

Victim (3 books)
  • Victim Prime
  • Hunter/Victim

“She was an extremely attractive woman if you liked the type, which could best be described as homicidal schizophrenic paranoiac with kittenish overtones.” 3 likes
“Many reasons had been given, and every man adopted the rationale which suited his own particular emotionality. But what seemed obvious at the time became less so as the years passed. Professors of history argued, experts in economics demurred, psychologists begged to differ, and anthropologists felt it necessary to point out.” 0 likes