Start by marking “Pea Boy: and other stories from Iran” as Want to Read:
Pea Boy: and other stories from Iran

Pea Boy: and other stories from Iran

Iran is a country of mountains striped with snow, dense forests where bears and lynxes still roam, deserts, bazaars . . . but above all it has stories — of fairies and demons, of a monstrous metal eagle called the okab, of romantic cockroaches and foolish weavers. During her travels in that large and diverse country, award-winning novelist Elizabeth Laird has gathered a we ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pea Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pea Boy

Betsy
Jul 09, 2010 Betsy rated it really liked it
I love my job. You would too if you were me. I work in the main branch of New York Public Library in the most beautiful children's room imaginable. More to the point, I profit off the talents of the children's librarians that have come before me. Thanks to their efforts over the last century, my room is privy to a large, lush, fantastic folktale/fairytale section. That means that when a parent or teacher comes in and says, "I need all your Aztec folktales!," I can actually provide them with what ...more
Heather
The stories are all well done, but the artwork is really spectacular. It is a combination of colored pencil, watercolor, and collage that is absolutely lovely. Some of the stories are similar to stories from other cultures, but The Giant Okab was entirely new to me. It was a very enjoyable collection, and the picturebook format with color illustrations makes this a more accessible and interesting title than Laird's A Fistful of Pearls.
Gwen the Librarian
Nov 03, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
As with any collection of folklore, some stories resonated with me more than others, but I really enjoyed this diverse collection of tales. Some tales were similar to Western tales and others were unique to me. The illustrations aren't great, but this is a welcome collection for any folklore library.
Maria Longley
I enjoyed the retelling of Iranian folk stories and the accompanying illustrations. The Miss Cockroach story amused me particularly (as I had been discussing these insects earlier that day with colleagues) and there was a nice spread of tales.
Mrs Bond
Jun 24, 2011 Mrs Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore
Adaptations of Iranian folklore. Tales include: Miss Cockroach and Mr Mouse, The Giant Okah, Kayvan the Brave, The Sparrow's Quest, Pea Boy, The Prophet Khizir, and The Cloth of Eternal Life.
Victoria
Sep 01, 2011 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Lively folk tales introduce the beauty of Iran – the place and its people. A little bit of magic. A little bit of the weird. Lots of humour. Just delightful.
Tamara Mckinney
Tamara Mckinney rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2012
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
L
L rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2010
Cherry Mosteshar
Cherry Mosteshar rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2011
Aida
Aida rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Hannahlily
Hannahlily rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Amber Berry
Amber Berry rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Edward Sullivan
Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2010
Alla
Alla rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Yelena
Yelena rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2010
Lindsay Beckman
Lindsay Beckman rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Hope L. Justice
Hope L. Justice rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Sara Jones
Sara Jones marked it as to-read
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2010
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2010
The Reading Countess
The Reading Countess marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2010
g
g marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2010
Julie Suzanne
Julie Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2010
Miss Melissa
Miss Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2010
PRES
PRES added it
Nov 08, 2010
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2010
Tara
Tara added it
Jan 06, 2011
george
george marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2011
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Apr 03, 2011
Paola
Paola added it
Mar 27, 2015
Skittson
Skittson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2011
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Hafsah
Hafsah marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Saifuddin Molla
Saifuddin Molla marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Zaynaab
Zaynaab marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Laird was born in New Zealand in 1943, the fourth of five children. Her father was a ship's surgeon; both he and Laird's mother were Scottish. In 1945, Laird and her family returned to Britain and she grew up in South London, where she was educated at Croydon High School.
When she was eighteen, Laird started teaching at a school in Malaysia. She decided to continue her adventurous life, even though
More about Elizabeth Laird...