Start by marking “Angels and Other Strangers Family Christmas Stories” as Want to Read:
Angels and Other Strangers Family Christmas Stories

Angels and Other Strangers Family Christmas Stories

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
‘With her gifts of insight and compassion the author weaves [9 contemporary] stories about miracles of the Christmas season [in which] the lowly are raised up and the proud are brought low. The stories are deeply moving and filled with humor. They are based on a faith that is rich with human understanding.’ —H. ‘For family sharing.’ —BL.

Author Biography:

Katherine Paterso

Published September 7th 1988 by Turtleback Books (first published November 1st 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about Angels and Other Strangers Family Christmas Stories

It's been several years since we read this and since it was one of our favorite Christmas books, I think it's time for us to re-read it.
Katherine Paterson + Short Stories + Christmas. I was psyched. But for me? = Meh. These read like dated scripts for Lifetime movies, and not in a good way. I just wasn't feeling the magic. Maybe I'm to cynical and jaded, but I don't really think that's it. Even allowing for schmaltzy-Christmasey gooeyness, many of these stories fell flat for me.
I really enjoyed the stories for what they are, short stories. However, I am a gal who likes series of books to really get to know a character, so a story that starts and ends in a few pages is a bit of a stretch for me. However, I thought the characters were engaging and I was left wanting more, which I suppose is a good thing. I like that these stories of Christmas were about people looking for, living like and actually aware of God. That was encouraging to me.
This is book I read during the Christmas holidays every 2 years or so. I enjoy the first story Angels & Other Strangers the most. Some readers will see them as as dated such as the references to the Biafran famine (Tidings of Joy). All the stories provide a sense of hope in the midst of very human failings and suffering. The first Christmas began with the poor and simple. These stories remind us that He has a "preferential option for the poor."
Aban (Aby)
Katherine Paterson is a writer of children's fiction and all her books are outstanding. This is a book of short Christmas stories, which is suitable for all ages and, over the years, I have read and reread these heartwarming stories which write of loss, heart-ache, love and (above all) hope. I have been ill this holiday period and what could be better than to curl up with this delightful book? I would HIGHLY recommend it!
Jan 01, 2009 Elle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are looking out for Christmas stories
Recommended to Elle by: my mother who bought it for christmas
I enjoyed these stories. They are darker than other Christmas stories, but nearly all the characters find hope in the end, which is inspiring. They do get a little old after a while (I've read her other collection, too), but it's understandable since she wrote a story every year for around twenty years. These were almost the very first stories she ever wrote.
This is an old favorite. It is a collection of short stories that all center around Christmas. Perhaps the most famous is "Maggie's Gift" about an old man that takes in two foster children because he doesn't want to be alone for Christmas.

On a side note, Katherine Paterson is the same person who wrote "Bridge to Terabithia."
Maggie's Gift is included in this wonderful collection of Christmas stories. It is a winner for a family read. An defiant orphan and her little brother, a widower on a pension, a church service and an unexpected outcome come together to reinforce the real meaning of Christmas.
I'm not very critical when it comes to books. I like most of what I read. But this book of short Christmas stories was bizarre. The stories were more dark and depressing than uplifting. Good thing it was short, because it was a waste of time.
Read this as an early teen, and was surprised how many passages still seemed fresh in my memory. This book has religious themes (the stories started as sermons) but they aren't heavy-handed for the most part. Very touching, and a moving read for the season.
A collection of what are supposed to be inspirational Christmas stories, but turn out to be overly sentimental or mawkishly sappy. Apparently it really is difficult to write a good Christmas story. Dickens, here I come.
Katherine Paterson explores the ramifications of the birth of Christ in this small volume of short stories about Christmas. Her characters are drawn from real life, but her approach is a bit sentimental.
Katherine Paterson is one of my favorite authors. This collection of Christmas stories is a gem. I've been thinking it's time to re-read it.
I've read this book every Christmas for many years. In fact, my copy is copyrighted 1972. It gets me in the mood every year.
Timeless stories for the Christmas season -- you just can't beat Paterson for stories of faith for all ages.
Another heart-warming set of Christmas tales.
the title story is absolutely wonderful
Re-reading this old Christmas favorite
Courtney Huehn
Courtney Huehn marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Christine marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Gwen added it
Dec 25, 2014
Dragonr marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted t
More about Katherine Paterson...
Bridge to Terabithia Jacob Have I Loved The Great Gilly Hopkins Lyddie The Master Puppeteer