Start by marking “The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon” as Want to Read:
The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon

The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Book DescriptionToo Much Too Soon is the definitive story of the most outrageous glam rock band of them all - The New York Dolls. The Dolls, peddling trans-gender posturing and incendiary rock 'n' roll, were dumped by the record business after making just two albums. But their influence lives on...
Published February 1st 2006 by Omnibus Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The New York Dolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Dolls

Wayne Simmons
Jan 27, 2016 Wayne Simmons rated it it was amazing
When it comes to rock bios, the benchmark for me has always been Motley Crue's The Dirt. No other rock n' roll tale seems to have quite the same candidacy or pirate-like debauchery. Nina Antonia's Too Much Too Soon comes very close with its story of the short-but-vicariously-lived New York Dolls. The Dolls only released two studio albums during their brief time with us in the early-to-mid 70s but their legacy can be seen in just about everything that came after that, be it punk, new wave or inde ...more
Dr. Detroit
Oct 08, 2009 Dr. Detroit rated it it was amazing
D M
Oct 09, 2012 D M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Androgyny in rock music began IMO with the New York Dolls. the quintet, all dolled up in make-up, dresses, and high heels, partied and rocked with reckless abandon through the first half of the 1970s. they cut a unique path in music history during their brief time together and in the process placed themselves on the precipice of rock music superstardom only to crash and burn from drugs, tragedy, and music business politics.

the New York Dolls created the framework for british punk, the New York m
East Bay J
Jan 02, 2013 East Bay J rated it liked it
Shelves: music-bios
I really dig The new York Dolls and received Too Much, Too Soon as a Christmas gift this year. I'd read Kris Needs' rather decent Dolls bio and enjoyed it quite a bit. Nina Antonia's Dolls bio is equally enjoyable. While both are a bit light on the facts and details, they tell the story of the Dolls in an engaging fashion that conveys some of the spirit of the era and of the band themselves.

Antonia relates the Dolls' career in a light, easy manner that is a good read but sometimes skimps on deta
Armand
Jun 20, 2014 Armand rated it it was amazing
I actually own this book. The New York Dolls are my favorite band and this is an indispensable resource.
Ed Wagemann
Apr 14, 2012 Ed Wagemann rated it liked it
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Bryan Dunn
May 16, 2013 Bryan Dunn rated it it was ok
Like a lot of music bios, you'll like it about as much as you like the band. Well researched, but the author comes across as too much of a fan sometimes (which is common, and I guess if you're going to write an entire book about something you kind of have to be). I'm not really a fan of the Dolls; I know they're important, but I'm more interested in some of the artists they influenced. And there's nothing in the book that really convinced me otherwise.
Lolo
Jan 09, 2014 Lolo rated it it was ok
I will admit I'm not a huge Dolls fan, but I like the time & the writer. However, this book fell a little short for me. Great pictures, just not juicy enough for my liking. Please Kill Me is a much better read.
Tosh
Nov 16, 2007 Tosh rated it really liked it
Not as great as "Please Kill Me," which covers the same ground with respect to the great New York Dolls,but nevertheless essential biography on the band. For one thing it is such a tragic sad story - due to Thunder and Nolan's heroin use, Art Kane's recent sudden death. The one thing that gives hope is the Doll's music -- which of course is superb. David Johnansen is a great figure. A witty writer up there with Cole Porter and Ray Davies.
Tyson Marshall
Sep 03, 2012 Tyson Marshall rated it really liked it
I was in need of some light reading. Some junk food for my imagination/creativity. Something to take me back to my college days and early influences/interests. This delivered the goods. I didn't care much for the writing style, but it's a book about the new york dolls so I wasn't expecting shakespeare. Anyway I enjoyed it.
Jef
Jul 26, 2011 Jef rated it really liked it
so, "who are the mystery girls?" if you've ever wondered, this is a good place to start. no- (or very few, anyway) holds-barred look at the forefathers of punk. this is a true trash-and-burn tragedy, with far too many instances of "if only."
Sparrow
it's a great book, but the binding is a real problem -- you can't open it up! It tries to close again, like a spring-trap!
Mike
Apr 14, 2008 Mike rated it liked it
5 guys in drag and trying to play their instruments, overall a good history of the band.
Chicagobattles
May 04, 2011 Chicagobattles rated it really liked it
NINA KNOWS HER SOME DOLLS , LIKE NANKER PHELGE KNEW HIM SOME STONES.
Solarider
Solarider marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Crawdaddy Simon
Crawdaddy Simon rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Furbjr
Furbjr marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Greg Goulette
Greg Goulette rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Ismael Schonhorst
Ismael Schonhorst marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Steve Davidson
Steve Davidson marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Lysanxia
Lysanxia rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Elle Buckley
Elle Buckley marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Aislinn
Aislinn marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Dorie Koch
Dorie Koch rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016