3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  513 ratings  ·  85 reviews
As a public defender, Caitlin McLoughlin dreams of someday locking the bad guys in prison instead of defending them. But prosecuting jobs are scarce, and Caitlin’s future seems bleak. When her current client is about to walk away from a brutal crime, she risks her career to make sure he doesn’t hurt anyone else. Yet what if her choice means sacrificing her career and the m...more
Published September 16th 2009 by Shadow Mountain

Fablehaven by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull
Best of LDS Fiction
84th out of 230 books — 228 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Help by Kathryn StockettCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareAn Echo in the Bone by Diana GabaldonBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
Best Books of 2009
407th out of 1,339 books — 6,679 voters

More lists with this book...

When I first heard of this book, I visited the author’s Web site and learned that the idea for her story came from the sad case of “an infant in Utah who was found dead after ingesting methamphetamines she had found in a plastic bag on the floor of her home.” What made this tragic circumstance even more notable and horrific is that weeks earlier her father had kidnapped the child, crossing state borders in hopes of protecting his little girl from her mother’s substance abuse.

Needless to say, I c...more
Cami Checketts
Inspired by real life stories, this novel tore my heart apart. One moment I found myself aching for Madeline and Parker, the next rooting for Parker to kiss Caitlin. I was afraid the romance in the story would seem false when interwoven with such a serious subject, but it felt very real.

Ms. Nunes delves into the critical issues of drug abuse, protecting precious children, and how sometimes our legal system can injure the innocent. It is obvious the author knows her subject well and feels passio...more
Heather

Caitlin McLoughlin is a talented public defender, assigned to cases where she finds herself defending the bad guy over and over. But in her position, she doesn’t mind when she loses a case—because that means the criminals go to prison where they belong.

But then a four year old is abducted from her home and when the police find the kidnapper, it’s the girl’s father, Parker Hathaway. When Caitlin is assigned as his public defender, she is eager to wrap up the case, until she discovers Parker’s mot...more
Kathryn
Anne

I recently had the privilege of reading Rachel Ann Nunes’ exceptional new novel, "Saving Madeline," and have to say if anyone’s looking for a romance that’s both compelling and thought-provoking, this is it.

I was immediately pulled into the awful dilemma faced by both Caitlin McLoughlin (a public defender) and her client, Parker Hathaway, who is arrested for kidnapping his own daughter (Madeline) to save her from his ex-wife, who is apparently addicted to drugs. As the story unfolds, Madeline’s...more
Teri
Saving Madeline by Rachel Ann Nunes

It's been awhile since I've read a Rachel Ann Nunes book, but this offering is a heart-wrenching story about a young Defense Attorney, Caitlyn McLaughlin, a fiery red haired, blue eyed Irish woman wanting to send the bad guys to prison that she defends. With the case she's working on, she gets to send her client to prison for a long time, but she's not sure she did it ethically or not. When she gets to defend Parker Hathaway, a decent guy who has kidnapped his...more
Laurie
Saving Madeline is a thought-provoking must-read that satisfies on every level. Inspired by true events, Nunes’ fictional storyline pulls the reader into the complex world of the law and its ethics as four adults play protective tug-of-war over a child named Madeline.

The book opens with two diverse but equally captivating story lines. Exhausted and disillusioned public defender, Caitlin McLoughlin of Salt Lake City, Utah, is repulsed by the thought that her guilty, violent client will walk away...more
Sheila
This is a wonderful book by Rachel Ann Nunes. I think that this is her best story she has ever told! That saying,I have really liked the other books she has written, but I read "Saving Madeline" in less than 24 hours. If I hadn't been forced to go to sleep,(yes, I did have to teach the next day) it would have been finished even sooner. That is a sign of a good book, in my reviewer's world!

Madeline will capture your heart and you will be praying for a happy ending for her. This story shows the...more
02trichelleb
By: Trichelle Brimhall

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury: I find the book “Saving Madeline” by Rachel Ann Nunes to be excellent at making the reader Excited, but sometimes gets edgy at times, however, there were areas in which the book was not quite as good when the characters would make you really frustrated and nervous a lot. The main problem in the book is making sure that Parker Hathaway’s daughter, Madeline, is safe.

I think the setting is okay how it is, however, It would ma...more
Janet Jensen

Saving Madeline, best-selling author Rachel Ann Nunes's latest romantic suspense novel, takes us into the world of Caitlin McLoughlin, a hard-working and dedicated defense attorney who grapples with daily challenges and conflicts in her professional life while keeping a firm and protective grip on her private life. Devoted to the needs of her beloved sister, who will always require a caretaker, and to her work, Caitlin hardly has a moment for a personal life, much less a serious relationsip. Yet...more
Katie Watkins
I was quite surprised by "Saving Madeline." Written by an LDS author, it was a very clean romance and a heart-wrenching-touching story of a serious modern issue, but was written in a way that was more on the touching side, then the wrenching side. Caitlin is an attorney and was appointed to represent a man, Parker, for kidnapping his own daughter. He did it to save his daughter from his ex-wife, who is a druggie. He is very concerned for her safety and the system just isn't working fast enough f...more
Lacey
I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to read this book before being published, and I have to say, I truly loved this book! My big hang-up with LDS fiction is that it all follows the same formula, but this one is not the same. Yes, there is some romance, but the main focus of the book is the title character and her father's desire to save her from the drug culture her mother has her in.

I put a full review on my blogspot, tcharmy.blogspot.com, and apparently it's linked to one of Rachel An...more
Angela Young
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Kept my interest and made me want to keep reading it.
Kamrey Olsen
This book is freakin' awesome I loved it is really great if you are into romance like stuff. It's bout this little girl who gets kiddnapped by her father because he doesn't think that the mother is taking very good care of her. He gets caught and arrested and his lawyer is really used to getting clients that are guilty so she doesn't think thatbhe will be any better. So eventuallynthey fall in lobe and it is really just an awesome book I really like all of Rachel ann nunes' books.
Tenille
This book is about a female lawyer, Caitlyn, who is tired of defending the bad guys and then letting them go free. Then along comes a man, Parker, who may actually be innocent. He had kidnapped his own daughter because he felt that was the only way to keep her safe from her druggie mom. It was really good. There was some romance, some drama and it was a great story. It's sad to know that this story was based on a true story, though in real life it wasn't a happy ending.
Vickie Rosado
I really enjoyed this book. Easy reading. A sad reminder of how Meth can destroy a life in so many ways. The author was inspired by the story of a father, here in Salt Lake City, who kidnapped his baby from it's mother. The mother was a Meth user. The father and baby were found and the baby was returned back to the mother. The baby was dead in a week. The baby got a hold of some drugs out of plastic bag in the house.
Andrea
Kristen
As a hard nosed defense attorney, Caitlin McLoughlin meets the dregs of society on a daily basis, until Parker Hathaway, a father accused of kidnapping his own daughter to save her from a drug abusing mother and his ex. In order to defend Parker, Caitlin has to overcome her mistrust and try to keep Parker from running again. She must also confront her growing feelings for Parker, and her suspicions run deep.
Hollie Robb
I was told to read this book. I was surprised by this book, it was good. It was nice that Rachel Ann Nunes, put a lot of adversity in the book, and that the characters didn't have a cheesy feel to them. One thing that did slightly irritated me was that the same arguing doubt with Parker and Caitlin; will she/he love/have me? That went around in circles way too much for me. But everything else was good, I liked it.
Jennybug
This book was a quick read and had an interesting plot. The only flaw was that Parker seemed to smart to do so many dumb things. Although, calling the police in the first place and getting custody of Madeline would have made for a pretty boring story. I did like the way the author introduced the three different love interests, and of course I was cheering for the construction worker the whole time.
Judie
I really enjoyed this story about a father who removed his daughter from an unsafe environment illegally to protect her. Obviously, the story came to a satisfactory conclusion while prompting an awareness of the ramifications arising from unfit parents who have custody of their children, and also parents who "steal" their children . . . with romance thrown in for good measure.
Paralee Johnson
I bought this book to read at my 3 hour glucose test and I had to know how it ended so I stayed up till midnight last night reading until I finished. I really enjoyed the book. It was an easy read and I really liked the story line. What is great about this book is that it has many possible endings so you have to keep reading to find out what truly happens.
Tiffany
This book is about a father who is trying to save his daughter, although by unconvential and illegal means. It's also about his relationship with his lawyer and what's appropriate and what's not. I would have rated it higher, but I just didn't like the message sent that it's okay to do whatever you want even if it's not right, legal, moral, etc.
Rachel
Rachel Nunes is my favorite LDS author. I like how she writes books with LDS values but it's not preachy. This was a very well-written, interesting story that addresses a father gaining custody, caring for an adult special-needs sister, child neglect due to drug use by parents and, of course, romance. Enjoyable read-
Heather
I love the risks Rachel Ann Nunes takes with her characters. There was a spot in the story was I was expepcting for the story to get wrapped up all nice and tidy, but she thru a huge twist to the story. That's one of the things I love about Rachel Ann Nunes books. They have depth and don't take the easy way out of situations.
Dacia
This book really causes you to think about our justice system and if it helps innocent children/people or not. I couldn't really get made at either the lawyer or the Dad because they were always acting in the best interest of the child. I probably would have done the same thing. This one is a good read.
Lynette
I liked this book. There was a lot of intrigue and frustration when the characters did something I thought was stupid. I did think that they got off pretty easy. In the real world, I think there would have been different consequences for their actions. However, in spite of that, I liked the book.
Misty
A little romance, a little suspense, a happy ending. Just my kind of book for light reading. I also liked that it's set in UT but has no LDS characters and nothing to do with the LDS culture. It was a nice change from the typical LDS fiction where everybody joins the church by the end of the book.
Terrie
A good, light read. Caitlin McLoughlin is a pubic defender who is representing a client guilty of committing a brutal crime. She risks her career to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone else. While all of this is going on, there is also a love triangle, kidnapping and blackmail taking place.
  • Crossfire (Saint Squad, #3)
  • Unsung Lullaby
  • Winds of Hope (Jason Wolfe, #3)
  • The Topaz (The Bracelet Series, #3)
  • Without a Flaw
  • Methods of Madness
  • Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
21980
Rachel Ann Nunes (pronounced noon-esh) learned to read when she was four and by seventh grade knew she was going to be an author. Now as a stay-at-home mother of seven, it isn't easy to find time to write, but she will trade washing dishes or weeding the garden for an hour at the computer any day! Her only rule about writing is to never eat chocolate at the computer. "Since I love chocolate and wr...more
More about Rachel Ann Nunes...
Ariana: The Making of a Queen (Ariana, #1) Daughter of a King Ariana: A Gift Most Precious (Ariana, #2) Ariana: A New Beginning (Ariana, #3) Winter Fire