Start by marking “Granny Made Me An Anarchist” as Want to Read:
Granny Made Me An Anarchist

Granny Made Me An Anarchist

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In 1964, Christie was arrested in Spain and charged with attempting to assassinate General Franco. He was 18, far from his home in Glasgow, and could speak no Spanish. The worst part was that the charge was true. Christie was convicted, and became Britain's most famous anarchist. In 1972 he was arrested again, this time in Britain, suspected of being a member of the Angry ...more
Paperback
Published 2004 by Scribner (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Granny Made Me An Anarchist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Granny Made Me An Anarchist

Nigeyb
An autobiography of Stuart Christie. I'd not heard of him until reading this book.

His main claim to fame is being charged with attempting to assassinate General Franco in 1964 when he was still only 18. Far from his home in Glasgow and unable to speak Spanish he was arrested meeting his Spanish contact. The worst part of the charge was that it was completely true.

In 1971 he was arrested again, this time in Britain, suspected of being a member of the Angry Brigade.

The book works on so many lev
Chris Scott
For me Stuart Christie's memoir of his early years, which ends in his acquittal following the Angry Brigade trial of 1972, picked up on page 84. Up to then I was slowly losing interest with his - can we call it radicalisation? - following his upbringing in the poorer tenements of west Glasgow. Perhaps because the geography and the era were unfamiliar to me.
Still, it's a necessary introduction into what led an 18-year-old politically active convert to anarchism to hitch hike, kilt-clad, to Spain.
Gary
Aug 23, 2008 Gary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair anarchists
The story of a young Scot who wishes to do something to settle Franco's hash. Franco, after all, was the last of the Axis fascist dictators who somehow survived into the 1960s. I did feel a bit uneasy about Stuart's lying to the Spanish authorities once he was captured, but who wouldn't do this in order to save themselves from the garrote or 20 years in a fascist gaol. Stuart explicitly acknowledges the lie in the book, so I don't feel that he fooled himself or betrayed his principles.

An interes
Sean
A engaging memoir by one of my favorite British anarchists. I knew of Christie primarily through his (now defunct) Brightcove website, which hosted hundreds of anarchist and left-wing videos, documentaries, and full-length movies in several languages. I was also acquainted with his ties to the Angry Brigade, Anarchist Black Cross, and the anti-Franco resistance movement, but never before had I heard the full story.

Christie relates his childhood days in working class Glasgow and traces his evolut
James
Book Review: “Granny Made Me An Anarchist: General Franco, The Angry Brigade And Me”
by Stuart Christie
Review by James Generic
Edited by Michelle Woods and Yoni Kroll
Some people are just born as natural rebels. Stuart Christie is such a person. He was born in 1946 in working-class Glasgow, Scotland, into a world split in two by the ever-present sectarian rift between the Catholics and Protestants. Christie was a member of the Orange Order growing up, an anti-Catholic Protestant fraternal organiza
Jennifer Inweh
for a book that wasn't intentionally written as comedy (well at least bi don't think it was), this is pretty funny. the book gives a good insight into the political atmosphere in regard to britain and spain, in a way that is different but just as accurate as any historical book on leftist politics during the 70s and 80s.

because it is written from an eyewitness account of what life was like in a political prison during franco's fascist regime, it adds a different insight and point of view into w
Matthew Antosh
Just a quick review - I really enjoyed this book. The thrilling tale of a young lads attempt to smuggle explosives to kill the fascist dictator of Spain, the arrest and prison experience of that lad, his freedom and re-arrest in Britain under suspicion of being a member of an urban "terrorist organization".

My only problem with the book is that the sense of time is kinda off, the 50s, 60s and 70s sort of blend into each other in a way that makes it a little hard to make a time frame for yourself
karly
this is basically an autobiography written by stuart christie, a long time UK anarchist and one of the founders of the Anarchist Black Cross, about his youth and time in franco's prisons. It also covers the famous angry brigade trial in which christie was acquited. it has an interesting section in which he talks about when he left the uk to go to spain the "culutral revolution" of the sixties hadn't happened yet and when he came back he was kind of blown away but at the same time unimpressed wit ...more
Trawets
Stuart Christie was eighteen years old when a Spanish court sentanced him to twenty years for his part in an assassination attempt on General Franco.
In this book Christie tells what led him to that court, his experiences during his three years incarceration and his later trial in England charged and found not guilty of conspiracy in the Angry Brigade bombing campaign of the early 1970's.
In some ways an interesting and at times exciting book, however Stuart Christie, tells us far more about the A
Jennpants
Wonderful writing style, easy to zip right through.

Like Ann Hanson's Direct Action, this was an autobiography that did nothing to glorify violence or violent acts -- despite the fact that both Hanson and Christie spent time in prisons for various "criminal" acts. They simply tell their stories of actions and reactions against the state/fascist dictators/people in power/etc.

Roger Cottrell
I loved this memoir of the period which was given me by the author after he read my crime retrospective, HOLLYWOOD BOWL, in which the Angry Brigade feature as fictional characters. I've since been comissioned by Stuart to write the screen adaptation of the book which I have done. Magnificent and highly readable.
Miquixote
Mind-blowing, this guy actually tried to assassinate Franco, got thrown in Spanish jail for it, was let out years later(!) and then was falsely associated with the Angry Brigade attacks in England in the 70s. Very much an adventure story, but real! If it weren't so off status quo, it should be a best-seller.
Stephen CM
This is the story of how Stuart Christie developed his politics and put them into action in the 60s and 70s, with a number of explosions and prison stays along the way. It's not Papillon but the story is engaging and peppered with lots of details about twentieth century radical movements.
Ipswichblade
Brilliant book with a tough subject made very easy to read. Despite having read a lot about the sixties and seventies Stuart Christie was a name I was unfamiliar with. How refreshing to see someone stick to their principles throughout when it would have easier to denounce them
Allan
Maybe I am just a sucker for stories from radicals, bt this was really enjoyable. a radical life well lived through fascinating periods. Stuart Christie weaves a good tale of inspiring antics and struggle.
Alex
Excellent memoir of growing up in the deprived, working class area of Glasgow and becoming involved in radical politics in the 60s and 70s.
Erok
liked this alot. a story of a lifelong anarchist who was persecuted and framed for his beliefs. highly readable, highly recommended.
Teresa
hilariously tongue in cheek. found the beginning parts more interesting than the ending but nonetheless a lovely autobiography.
James Mcsporran
excellent autobiographical account oc growth of an anarchist and his travails. highly recommend xx
Lucia
Nice to read about Spanish history from someone actually involved, but from the outside.
Katrina
Good book about a Scottish anarchist who takes up the Spanish anti-Francoist cause.
Emma
An engaging account of a fascinating life.
Benjamin
Go granny go!
Letsjustgo
Letsjustgo marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Uri
Uri marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Katie Jane Smyza
Katie Jane Smyza marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Aimo B
Aimo B marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Questionable Publishing Date 2 23 Jun 18, 2013 08:22PM
  • Black Flame: The Revolutionary Class Politics of Anarchism and Syndicalism (Counter-Power vol 1)
  • The Russian Anarchists
  • Dynamite: The Story of Class Violence In America, 1830-1930
  • Bakunin: The Creative Passion
  • Free Women of Spain: Anarchism and the Struggle for the Emancipation of Women
  • What Is Anarchism?
  • Pacifism as Pathology: Reflections on the Role of Armed Struggle in North America
  • Mutual Aid
  • Anarchism: Arguments For and Against
  • This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible
  • Living My Life, Vol. 2
We, the Anarchists!: A Study of the Iberian Anarchist Federation (FAI) 1927-1937 A Tale of Two Cities The Floodgates of Anarchy Christie File Stefano Delle Chiaie