Start by marking “Celtic Treasure: Unearthing the Riches of Celtic Spirituality” as Want to Read:
Celtic Treasure: Unearthing the Riches of Celtic Spirituality

Celtic Treasure: Unearthing the Riches of Celtic Spirituality

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The deep riches of the ancient tradition of Celtic spirituality are unearthed in this illuminating resource. Weaving together the stories and wisdom of the ancient Celts, it explores the contemporary relevance of prayer and solitude, creation and creativity, and community and hospitality as it demonstrates how each of these ancient paths can enrich the future. Other topics ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Lion UK

To ask other readers questions about Celtic Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celtic Treasure

Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: I am Catholic and am interested in the early Church, especially the Saints.

Well, honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this book. What was Celtic Spirituality? Was it some new age thing or Christian? Upon opening the little book I was immediately met with Scripture and St. Patrick's Breastplate along with stunning photography of Christian ruins from the 1st millenium in Ireland and Scotland. This is a lovely, hand-sized gift book printed on quality paper. A delight to r
kari
I liked this book for what's in it, but I'd have liked it more if it connected Christian spirituality with the pre-Christian history. That was what I thought this was going to be about and while I wasn't disappointed, I do wish it had included that so many of the sacred places actually pre-date the saints. That would have been more interesting, imo.
I'd have also liked to know what the photos were depicting, where the scenes were or what they were. Some simple notations on the photos or artwork w
Susan
3 stars for this little treasure. This is a sweet, little gift book, a nice stocking stuffer or friendship gift for Christians in the Christmas season, or for anyone interested in Celts. It is short at 80 pages and the format is one that is frequently found in card and gift shops: about 6" x 6.1" and hardback. It is filled with lovely photography as well as poems, prayers, Bible quotations, and information on Celt history and sprituality. For its little size, it packs a good deal more informatio ...more
Mara
This is the one I won from the giveaways feature. I was really excited to receive this. The pictures in it are beautiful, and I think the author did a great job of putting it all together. The only thing was that it just wasn't for me-was thinking it was more about Celtic Spirituality, as in, the religion of the ancient Celts. This was pretty much entirely Christian themed, which is fine, but like I said, just not for me. I'll certainly pass it along to another Goodreads reader who will have a b ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Celtic Treasure by Liz Babbs is a study of the history of Christianity in Ireland along with stunning photographs of the region. Babbs discusses the faith of the Celts including their focus on finding God in nature, their belief in monasticism and their hospitality. Each short chapter uses Scripture, quotes from Irish saints, along with poetry by the author to emphasize the point, bringing it home to readers. This charming book is perfect for readers interested in the faith of this beautiful cou ...more
Bruce
This is a small gift book. Within its 80 numbered pages are lovely pictures of natural landscapes, abbey ruins, and Celtic designs. One of the chapters provides short biographies of Celtic saints with some prayers attributed to them. The author has also written some excellent poetry that she intersperses with her prose. The Celtic Spirituality is definitely a Christian Catholic Spirituality. At this time of year, this would make a lovely gift for those attuned to this type of work.
Wyndy
I was very impressed with this mini coffeetable book. I call it a mini coffeetable book because it has the content and designs arranged like a coffeetable book but is hand sized. The pictures are calming, soothing, and very much like I imagine that land, the poetry and ancient prayers interesting, and the description of the spiritual places intriguing. It made me want to learn more about the Christian history of the Celts and visit their spiritual places.
Susy Flory
This is a small but mighty book. It's a gift book with gorgeous photos of Ireland. But it's also unique, featuring great content including historical information on early Celtic Christianity, along with the author's own original, contemplative Celtic prayers. I met author Liz Babbs earlier this year at a writers conference. She's a missionary for the Church of England and lives with passion, boldness, and joy.
Annamarie
Just realized that I've only posted some status updates of this book. What a disappointment this book was. It was entirely about Christianity on the British Isles without any reference to the vast spiritual history that existed long before Christianity arrived there. This is just one more fluffy book trying to take advantage of the western world's fascinations with all things "celtic" and bland religious writings.
Sandy Mckenzie
This is a small gift book. Within its 80 numbered pages are lovely pictures of natural landscapes, abbey ruins, and Celtic designs. It is a unique, featuring great content including historical information on early Celtic Christianity, along with the author's own original, contemplative Celtic prayers. I liked it, but overall I thought the photos and graphics were more impressive than the substance.
Sue
This is a small book (about 6 inches square and 80 pages) filled with interesting information about Celtic Spirituality. It is beautifully illustrated and filled with poems and quotes to give a good appreciation of the subject matter. Would make a good gift for a stocking stuffer or something similar.
Molly
I won this on first reads. This was a lovely read filled with insight and beautiful pictures. With thirst for knowlege concerning early European history and that particulary of the happenings of the church after Christ's death I found this book informative and well writen.
Tracey, librarian on strike
This is a beautiful gift book, a nice shape and size, and very attractive. The photography is wonderful, backing deeply thoughtful verse, mostly original. There is no CD included, though, as indicated in the synopsis above (at least in my copy).
Briscoe
Dec 03, 2009 Briscoe marked it as to-read
This is a great little book. It is filled with beautiful artwork and photos. It has a nice mix of prose, poetry, quotations, and scriptures. It would make a great gift for anyone who is a fan of Celtic lore.
Megan
This is a beautiful book that touches on several aspects of Celtic spirituality. I liked it, but overall I thought the photos and graphics were more impressive than the substance.
Aimee *just one more page...*
Beautiful pictures, interesting information. Great for anyone interested in all things Celtic.
Willa Grant
An incredibly lush & lovely book-
Carol
A lovely gift book.
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Michal Horák
Michal Horák marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Malia
Malia added it
Dec 16, 2011
Doug
Doug added it
Feb 21, 2011
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2010
Can God Help M.E?: Bringing Hope to Sufferers of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Transformed by the Presence of Jesus - Cover to Cover Lent (Cover to Cover Bible Study) Into God's Presence: Listening to God Through Prayer and Meditation Dalam Hadirat Tuhan  The Thing About Calories