Start by marking “My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson” as Want to Read:

My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson

When journalist Jessica DuLong ditched her dotcom desk job to ply the waters of the Hudson River as engineer of a rusty antique fireboat, she found a taste of home in a maritime community that was quickly disappearing. In this heartfelt and marvelously illuminating book, she weaves together stories of life on the water with tales from Hudson Valley history.

Published to coi
Published March 24th 2010 by Free Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My River Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My River Chronicles

Steve
Oct 19, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Very interesting book. There were quite a few facets of the book that I enjoyed or found fascinating:
- The history of the Hudson River and its' importance as a trade route, a line of defense against the British, and growth of Industry in the United States' early stages.
- The authors' feelings of loss due to America's switch to a service economy versus a manufacturer.
- The authors' experiences and reaction to sexism from being one of a very small minority of engineers on an older boat.
- The histo
Ben
Mar 12, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable memoir about one woman's path from website engineer to fireboat engineer, and much more. This book includes lengthy exploration of the history of the Hudson River, the port of New York, and of boating in New York in general, as well as a veritable treatise on old work boat mechanical engineering. I found it fascinating, thoughtfully put together, and well written, if a bit heavy-handed with nostalgia and worry about the "direction of the country" at times. While I agree ...more
David
Mar 21, 2010 David rated it it was amazing
A brilliant first book by a young woman who is also a licensed merchant marine officer. It is not only an ode to the Hudson River, one of America's most beautiful and historic waterways, but also a thoughful essay on a vanishing breed - the inventive tinkerers and mechanical adepts for which this country was famous in olden times.

She deals with the Hudson River School artists, New York City and state politics, and the green movement. There's even a thoughtful interview with John Ratzenberger, "C
David Black
Aug 16, 2015 David Black rated it really liked it
My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson
My read was greatly enhanced by my knowledge of the strategic geographic importance the various campaigns within the area during the Revolutionary War

The author's leaving behind the "Holy Grail" of modern day bureaucracy was caught my interest, especially because of her competence in the halls of unbridled capitalism.

And, then, she did what he heart told her to do. She became an expert in the area of her expertise. The ease with which she
Martha Fiorentini
Feb 25, 2010 Martha Fiorentini rated it liked it
Alot of this book was dry, regarding the repairs and technical aspects of boating. But the parts I really enjoyed were glimpses into the fascinating past of the mighty industrial and industrious Hudson River. Having grown up in New Jersey, I have a fondness for this beautiful river and have kayaked and taken boat tours on it.

As always, it seems sad to read of more declining industries in the US.
Don
Nov 19, 2010 Don rated it really liked it
On the surface, DuLong chronicles her move from a dot-com desk job to becoming the engineer of a historic New York City fireboat, which is a fascinating enough by itself – the boat assisted post-9/11, and the author experienced pervasive sexism. She also seamlessly intertwines a travelogue and history of the Hudson Valley (and the decay of its industrial past), the loss of craft and trade skills in America, art and historic preservation.
Patty
Oct 16, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
A chronicle of her personal journey and its parallels in the rich history of the Hudson River. There is many discussions over the unappreciated blue-collar work this country requires and the value of working with your hands as well as many reflections on the natural beauty of the river. This is a book worthy of reading again and again.
Ellyn
Aug 03, 2011 Ellyn rated it really liked it
Interesting story of a woman who left her computer job to become a fireboat engineer. That story is blended with the history of the Hudson River and the industry that grew up along it's banks. Fascinating!
Susan Coley
Apr 15, 2012 Susan Coley rated it really liked it
AN interesting book about the Hudson River and the boats that work on the river. Probably not everyone's cup of tea. It was especially interesting after reading Being George Washington. The Chronicles told about the foundry at West Point as did George.
John
Sep 21, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Great historical view of the Hudson River to Albany and Troy,NY. Interesting view of shipping and boating on the Hudson as well.
Shannon Mccabe
Oct 01, 2014 Shannon Mccabe rated it it was amazing
Very informative and engaging, I highly recommend this book! Great story line, tons of information, I learned so much!
Sackett Street
Sackett Street rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Murray Simpson
Murray Simpson rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Lois
Lois rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2011
Brooke Cale
Brooke Cale rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2009
BJM
BJM rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2010
Chelli
Chelli rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2013
Aikoch
Aikoch rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
Mike Murray
Mike Murray rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2011
Julia Fierro
Julia Fierro rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
Diane Morgan
Diane Morgan rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2012
Jessica DuLong
May 27, 2010 Jessica DuLong rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bill
Bill rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Tsuneo
Tsuneo rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Bobat Chearsdotorg
Bobat Chearsdotorg rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Jessica DuLong, a U.S. Coast Guard-licensed merchant marine officer is one of the world's only female fireboat engineers. She's also a journalist whose work has appeared in NEWSWEEK INTERNATIONAL, ROLLING STONE, PSYCHOLOGY TODAY, COSMOGIRL!, PARENTING, TODAY'S MACHINING WORLD, MARITIME REPORTER & ENGINEERING NEWS, and other publications. Her passion for the Hudson River took shape at her post ...more
More about Jessica DuLong...