Start by marking “Hot Stuff” as Want to Read:
Hot Stuff

Hot Stuff

Love Is for Losers

Or so Laurel Kane believes. After wasting too many years looking for "the One," the attractive, level-headed journalist for the Washington tabloid DC Scene is convinced that mad, passionate, crazy love is an impossibility past thirty. A practical, sensible system's the only way to choose a spouse. And she's willing to argue her theory with anyone -- inclu
Published March 30th 2004 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Stuff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Stuff

Goddess Of Blah

Laurel Kane: a 35 year old career woman (journalist) who feels disillusioned by love, romance and all that jazz. She's decided forgo it and try the arranged marriage route.
Description: level-headed, reserved/shy, and risk averse.
Joe Squires: a 40 year old divorcee. He's intrigued by Laurel finding her witty, intelligent and sexy. But unsure about her views on Romance.
Description: spontaneous, charming, confident
Feb 09, 2008 Tammy rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Oh Lordy! The head-hopping and endless questions! The author may have intended to write Laurel as the logical, intelligent type of heroine, but she failed miserably.

Laurel was annoying and wouldn't stop with the questions - even during sex (which I might add lacked total chemistry). Example: "His words flashed along her nerves, thrilling her while raising a dozen questions she couldn't ask. For her? for him? Was it some sort of existentialist comment?" (Joe had asked her how she felt.) Who thin
Jul 04, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
In this book you will find Laurel and 35yr old who feels she has just gotten to old with love and after reading a book she sets out to prove she can get herself married and happy without love. Joe a 40yr old who knows a thing or two about love lost and yet still believes that love is what really counts is out to prove her wrong. Joe and Laurels banter is what really makes this book great to me, but the even better part of the banter is sometimes Joe didn’t even have to say anything; Laurel would ...more
Jul 09, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
3.5 This was almost a four star book for me. I liked the characters (although Laurel was a little dense), and the story was cute. What I wanted was a little more "bang" at the end, or a fun epilogue. The book built up to the ending nicely, but then wrapped up too quickly. (This is actually a problem I see often in romance novels. There should be workshops for romance authors on how to evenly pace the last scenes of a story to bring closure while making it fully satisfying for the reader.)

What happens when you read a book and it turns your life upside down, well let me tell you extreme hilarity. Laurel has seen the light or so she thinks, she know believes that women of a certain age shouldn't be looking for love. No they should be looking for companion-ship, something simular to an arranged marriage, but when Joe acts as the rebuttle on every point she makes things get real interesting.

This book was a quick read for me, I found myself not be able to put it down. I would recomme
Olga Godim
Apr 16, 2013 Olga Godim rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book made an impression on me. It made me think, and my thoughts steered into a path rarely explored by romance writers. 3,5 stars.
The protagonist Laurel is over 30, still single, and tired of it. She stopped believing in love some time ago: after all, love has never worked for her. So when she reads a book entitled Love Is Not the Answer, which promotes the cerebral approach to selecting a spouse, the approach based on common values, as opposed to the emotional approach, based on passion,
Jan 15, 2010 Jess rated it it was ok
Suffering from a lack of things to read, I picked this up at the library. I mean.. it was alright, but I wouldn't have paid to read it. It filled some time up, but the story became redundant and the last 100 pages I sort of wished it was over. But alas, as I said, I had nothing else to read.
Oct 02, 2014 Sophie rated it really liked it
I am seriously in love with Joe Squires. He was the perfect combination of brawniness, humor, cultured sophistication, and education. And sweetness / character (buying the gloves for the street resident...) All in a very unassuming, not-in-your face personality. Sigh! I think the author did a great job of portraying the chemistry between the two leads, though I found Laurel's obtuseness a little annoying and quite silly after a while. And I agree that it ends much too abruptly. If any couple des ...more
Becky Walsh
Apr 05, 2014 Becky Walsh rated it really liked it
Fun little silly romance story :)
Apr 25, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: read-adult
I still think the story was long winded, but the characters are really likable. The girl is frustrating not only for the male character, but for the reader. So, I can't fault that aspect of the book. I like the concept and I understood where both characters were coming from I just wished it reached the conclusion I knew was coming sooner.

P.S. I would marry Joe in a heartbeat. He's perfect!
P.S.S. I hate the name Joe it's so boring.

3 Stars: lame cover - long winded - to slow process - horrible tit
Mar 18, 2015 Kelly rated it did not like it
This book was infuriating.

I read this book when it was first out and in my rose-tinted teenage eyes it was a perfect romance. So perfect that I have kept the book on my shelf ever since. However, I have decided to have a spring-clean and found 'Hot Stuff' hidden beneath the depths of newer but equally as forgotten books.

At first the quick banter and Joe's easy personality made me smile and I thought, well it isn't as polished in regard to writing style as I remembered it being, but it is still
Jul 13, 2014 Katrin rated it it was amazing
Cute easy to read book. A great summer read for entertainment. The female main character Laurel can become frustrating and annoying.
Oct 03, 2016 Tina rated it liked it
Enjoyment - 2.00
Characters - 4.00
Story(s) - 1.50
Technical - 4.00
Overall - 3.00

At first I thought this one had a ton of potential. I absolutely loved the book in the first 5 or 6 chapters! But once the "dating" antics started, I was less than impressed (and fairly bored). This reads more like chick lit than romance, with everything being about Laurel. I did like the characters and really connected with Laurel, but at the end of the day this wasn't what I was looking for.
Apr 15, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
I really like the plot line of this novel and the way it ended. I was actually begging for more after I have finished reading it and this is by far my most favorite book written by Elaine Fox. Perfect for a summer read.
Drew Constance
Nov 18, 2011 Drew Constance rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2010 Nefret rated it really liked it
Ich stelle gerade fest, dass mir die älteren Bücher von Elaine Fox viel besser gefallen. Zum Beispiel dieser Roman. Sehr unterhaltsam.
Aug 10, 2009 Colleen rated it really liked it
This book was really a cute read. It kept me interested and entertained. I read it in two days.
Sep 12, 2016 SyLvIa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elaine-fox
awesome book, plot was interesting, and the chemistry between characters was great.
Jun 28, 2011 Eileen rated it liked it
This was an okay story line, but it seemed so slow moving.
Dec 25, 2012 Deepti rated it it was amazing
Nice romantic book... Love is in the air and everywhere!!!!
Aug 02, 2011 Fatima rated it it was amazing
One of the best books i have ever read!! =)
Aug 17, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-09
This was wonderful! Love does conquer all.
Shilpi Bansal
Jun 07, 2013 Shilpi Bansal rated it it was amazing
Great romance.. very pleasurable read
Jul 14, 2014 tc rated it liked it
It was ehh.
Nov 13, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: scpl, romance
read 04.18.07
Maeghan Chapin
Maeghan Chapin marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Charise marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Celeste rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Tress added it
Jul 25, 2016
  • The Ex-Factor
  • Between the Sheets
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
  • Dancing Shoes and Honky-Tonk Blues
  • Do Not Disturb
  • Wanted: One Sexy Night (Starlight Trilogy, #3)
  • Why Americans Hate Politics
  • Houston, We Have A Problem (Florida Doctors, #2)
  • Sighs Matter
  • That's Amore
  • Here Comes Trouble
  • Tell It To The Marines
  • Mother of the Bride
  • I'm In No Mood For Love  (Writer Friends, #2)
More about Elaine Fox...