Start by marking “A Special Day for Mommy” as Want to Read:
A Special Day for Mommy

A Special Day for Mommy

Close your eyes and you will get a big surprise, Mommy Surprise

Mommy's getting breakfast in bed and a card and flowers and a whole lot more

Why?

It's a special day for Mommy
Published March 23rd 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Special Day for Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Special Day for Mommy

Connie
Jul 08, 2008 Connie rated it liked it
I let my niece pick this up to give to her mother for Mother's Day, and we've lived to regret it.

The little pig in this book wants to make a nice treat for her mother. Well, okay - fair enough.

But everything she does is really making her mother clean up after her all day - and her mother just smiles and allows this! Very unrealistic, and I'm not sure it's the best message, either.

So, the pig makes breakfast - and spills it all on the floor. Later, we see Mom mopping it up. In our house, if you s
Heather
May 19, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Every now and then I fall in love with a book because it hits really closet to home. I need a copy of this book for my mommy shelf. I see my children in each page, trying to please me and do special things for me and in the meantime creating more work for me with the messes they leave behind. Yet, as I read this book I don't hear a chorus of "put it away when you're through". I see Mama Pig smile. I need to be more like that. This book truly inspired me to see my life differently through it's gr ...more
Mary
Although this story is cute, it’s somewhat underhanded in how it expresses Mother’s Day. The child in the story desperately wants to do really nice things for his mother, but inevitably he makes messes wherever he goes. His mom is always cleaning up after him, and it’s obvious that she doesn’t appreciate that he doesn’t recognize the work that she does for him. It can be funny, but it depends on the audience.
Cailean
Dec 06, 2008 Cailean rated it really liked it
This is SUCH a cute and simple book! It's all about how a little kid pig wants to make the day special for her mom so she does things like pour a bowl of cereal for her, pick flowers, etc. and in the process of everything makes a big mess for her mom! But the mommy pig just cleans it all up and lets her kid do all these nice things for her, knowing the intent is good. I love the message and I see there's another version for dads too.
Kate Hastings
Jan 09, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-Grade1 Mother's day, mothers, messes
Shelves: picturebooks
Lordy this is cute! A child (pig) wants to do something special for Mommy, and is clueless about the mess she is making along the way. I love how the spirit of the child is not squelched by the mother and the child's enthusiasm and love makes the gift very special.
Alisa
May 03, 2011 Alisa rated it it was amazing
This is one of the cutest "mommy" books I have read in a long time. Little piggy wants to please her mommy on her special day, but mommy ends up "cleaning" up after her the whole day. It is SUPER cute and touched my heart.
Adrienne
Jan 29, 2014 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Totally adorable. I love the illustrations--those little pigs are the cutest! The story is cute, too, and I love how the pictures tell a little more of the story, how the girl is making a mess that Mommy has to clean up...but it's still a good day for Mommy :)
May 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Used for Mother's day storytime
Kimbra Marie
Kimbra Marie rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Shelli
Shelli rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2008
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Tricia
Feb 09, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
little pig daughter makes a number of messes while creating suprises for her mommy. adorable.
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2012
George
George rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2010
Heather Jo
Heather Jo rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2011
Monique Mcdonald
Cute book for kids gives them ideas for what to do for mommy to make her feel special.
Library
Library rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Jill rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2010
Staggerlee
Mar 14, 2009 Staggerlee rated it it was amazing
As the Daddy book, just a great cute little story from a great Illustrator.
Zainab
Nov 14, 2016 Zainab rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mom
Zainab loves books about mom and little girls.
Briony
Briony rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Nathan and Colin
Nathan and Colin rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Emily Cox
Emily Cox rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2009
Prettymisslara
Prettymisslara rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2009
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2014
Jenica
Jenica rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2011
Tam
Tam rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011