A Special Day for Mommy

A Special Day for Mommy

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Close your eyes and you will get a big surprise, Mommy Surprise

Mommy's getting breakfast in bed and a card and flowers and a whole lot more

Why?

It's a special day for Mommy
Published March 23rd 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Special Day for Mommy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Special Day for Mommy

Connie
I let my niece pick this up to give to her mother for Mother's Day, and we've lived to regret it.

The little pig in this book wants to make a nice treat for her mother. Well, okay - fair enough.

But everything she does is really making her mother clean up after her all day - and her mother just smiles and allows this! Very unrealistic, and I'm not sure it's the best message, either.

So, the pig makes breakfast - and spills it all on the floor. Later, we see Mom mopping it up. In our house, if you s...more
Adrienne
Totally adorable. I love the illustrations--those little pigs are the cutest! The story is cute, too, and I love how the pictures tell a little more of the story, how the girl is making a mess that Mommy has to clean up...but it's still a good day for Mommy :)
Heather
Every now and then I fall in love with a book because it hits really closet to home. I need a copy of this book for my mommy shelf. I see my children in each page, trying to please me and do special things for me and in the meantime creating more work for me with the messes they leave behind. Yet, as I read this book I don't hear a chorus of "put it away when you're through". I see Mama Pig smile. I need to be more like that. This book truly inspired me to see my life differently through it's gr...more
Cailean
This is SUCH a cute and simple book! It's all about how a little kid pig wants to make the day special for her mom so she does things like pour a bowl of cereal for her, pick flowers, etc. and in the process of everything makes a big mess for her mom! But the mommy pig just cleans it all up and lets her kid do all these nice things for her, knowing the intent is good. I love the message and I see there's another version for dads too.
Mary
Although this story is cute, it’s somewhat underhanded in how it expresses Mother’s Day. The child in the story desperately wants to do really nice things for his mother, but inevitably he makes messes wherever he goes. His mom is always cleaning up after him, and it’s obvious that she doesn’t appreciate that he doesn’t recognize the work that she does for him. It can be funny, but it depends on the audience.
Kate Hastings
Jan 09, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PreK-Grade1 Mother's day, mothers, messes
Shelves: picturebooks
Lordy this is cute! A child (pig) wants to do something special for Mommy, and is clueless about the mess she is making along the way. I love how the spirit of the child is not squelched by the mother and the child's enthusiasm and love makes the gift very special.
Alisa
This is one of the cutest "mommy" books I have read in a long time. Little piggy wants to please her mommy on her special day, but mommy ends up "cleaning" up after her the whole day. It is SUPER cute and touched my heart.
Tricia
little pig daughter makes a number of messes while creating suprises for her mommy. adorable.
Monique Mcdonald
Cute book for kids gives them ideas for what to do for mommy to make her feel special.
Staggerlee
As the Daddy book, just a great cute little story from a great Illustrator.
Used for Mother's day storytime
Svetlana
Svetlana marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Linda Huang
Linda Huang marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Anne Mcclain rose
Anne Mcclain rose marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2013
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 19, 2013
Kasia
Kasia marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Candice
Candice marked it as to-read
May 25, 2012
The Treasure Bath The Baker's Dozen: A Counting Book The Giant of Seville: A "Tall" Tale Based on a True Story Saturday with Daddy With a Little Help from Daddy