Start by marking “Sunday Chutney” as Want to Read:
Sunday Chutney

Sunday Chutney

The new girl at school has a glamourous life. What more could she want? Sunday Chutney is not your ordinary every-day girl. Sunday has lived everywhere and been everywhere. The only problem is this means she is always the new girl at school and she never really has a place to call come. But Sunday doesn't mind, not really. After all, she doesn't care what people think, she ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Front Street, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sunday Chutney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunday Chutney

Jen
Didn't really like this CBC nominated 2009 picture book. Didn't like the pictures very much, especially those of the main character Sunday Chutney - something to do with the mouth I think. Also, didn't like some of the choice of words to tell the story of Sunday, who is always on the move with her family and has to change school often. Some of the sentences were a bit out of character - like her comments about "the benefits of a big breakfast". Would she really have said that? Worthy message ...more
Treasure
Mar 04, 2010 Treasure rated it it was amazing
Sunday Chutney is an eccentric, confident, honest girl who shares in this picture book what it is like to be frequently moving and starting new schools because of her dad's job. She offers pros and cons (pro--living overseas is fabulous and exotic, con-- always being the new weird kid in school), her likes and dislikes, and other amusing information about herself.
I enjoyed how uterly confident and funny she was, and that right when the ending begins to get sappy, she throws you for a loop with a
Librariasaurus
Mar 15, 2016 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now, this one has a good message, even if it gets slightly mixed up in the middle. The only place this falls down is the part of the text where it was like Blabey couldn't decide if he was writing a book about being the new kid or being part of a family that moves a lot. To me those could/should be two different stories.
But I like Sunday Chutney, she's different and fabulous. This would be a good book to gift a child who may be going overseas, moving house or changing school.
Garren
A story about the power of minority coalitions! ...and how being yourself is cool and being decent to other people is important.
Maggie Burgess
Sep 25, 2016 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Some good messages I could definitely use in my teaching in this one, but it also jumps a bit and the back and forth could throw some kids off.

Overall I like it though, and would try it with my students.
Amy Forrester
Jun 08, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
This is Sunday Chutney, a little girl with a big smile and an even bigger imagination, and she’s a bit unusual. She’s lived all over the world, which is mostly great. The only downside is that she’s always the new kid at school. But that’s ok, because Sunday doesn’t care (or does she?), because she has a vivid imagination and quite a few hobbies, from drumming to marine biology. Although it can be lonely moving around so much, Sunday has become an expert at making friends with girls, but not ...more
Elfdart
Jul 12, 2010 Elfdart rated it really liked it
this is a fun book about a girl who’s always the new girl. her parents are always moving from place to place so she’s been all over the world and has seen many things.. but as a result she doesn’t have any friends and is always ‘the new girl’ in school. despite this however, sunday has a really bright outlook on life. right after she says something depressing she bouces back with something funny or quirky. she has an amazing imagination and is not afraid to use it. for most of the book her ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Jun 04, 2010 Bridget R. Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sunday Chutney is a spunky little girl. She reminds me of Clementine and Pippi. I love her imagination (mad tea party and her animal friends).

Sunday Chutney is always the new girl at school. The wonderful thing about Sunday Chutney is she doesn't care what the other kids think about her.

What I thought: A delightful book that will be a must read for any new kid at school. Sunday reminds me of several other characters (Clementine and Pippi to name two). She's spunky and happy despite all the movi
Mary Refalo
A contemplation on identity, Sunday Chutney is a lovely read. Sunday and her family move a lot, giving her good reason to feel lonely at times. The picture book explores identity through her perspective: Sunday describes the things she likes and the things she doesn't in a simple, naive fashion and in a way that makes it okay to be unusual and interesting in an adolescent world in which conformity rules. Blabey's illustrations are delightful and further engage the reader. Short-listed for a ...more
Linda
Jul 04, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
This story tells of an unusual little girl, Sunday, who talks about moving too much, and how that’s hard to be the ‘new girl’ so often. Aaron Blabey tells us many things about her, her likes and dislikes, including an optometrist because of her ‘lazy eye’. He shows a wonderfully interesting girl who embraces life despite all that moving. It celebrates individuality beautifully. I imagine reading this to young students to help them find topics to write about in their own lives. How are they like ...more
Janet
Dec 28, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Reminiscent of Eloise or Olivia in her moxie and resourcefulness (and in the book’s imagination-engaging illustrations), Sunday Chutney is a grade-school girl whose family moves frequently because of her dad’s occupation. As she shares her likes and dislikes, and reflects on always being the new girl in school, Sunday reveals a little anxiety and vulnerability, but readers are assured that her self-confidence will get her through every new situation. A funny, positive story of resilience for 4-8 ...more
Kelsey Peterson
Oct 24, 2012 Kelsey Peterson rated it liked it
In this book a little girl named Sunday Chutney is one of a kind. She is her own person and has the world wrapped around her besides one thing. She has to constantly get up and move, so she is always the new girl in the classroom or around town and can never make any friends that she can keep for good. This book can be related to many students in thie world, so I think that it is a great book to make into a lesson within the classroom.

Blabey, Aaron. Sunday Chutney. Honesdale, Pa.: Front Street,
Brandi
The story of Sunday Chutney, a little girl who is always the new kid at school, teaches the importance of liking oneself and acceptance. This book would be a perfect introduction to making connections in reading. Students are likely to be able to relate to the uncertainty of being a new kid or being in a new situation. Sunday's quirky habits and lifestyle could be used to teach about diversity as well. This book is perfect for a read aloud. It is just the right length and has interesting, large ...more
Ella
Feb 29, 2012 Ella rated it it was amazing
"I'm Sunday Chutney...and I'm a bit unusual" Sunday Chutney is not your average little girl. She travels around the globe, starts new schools every so often and always is fabulous! She has the imagiganation of einenstien. Sunday loves travelling in style but sometimess she just wishes she could have one home. This astonoshing, beautifully written/ illustrated book by Aaron Blabey is seriously a must read for any 'fabulous' pearson!

"if i could have one wish...
... it would be to always have the
Helen Hanna
Aug 13, 2016 Helen Hanna rated it it was ok
Children's book. I bought it to read to C & T. I don't think they like the pictures so weren't that keen on it. (ie. didn't ask to read it again). One of the teacher's at school dressed up as Sunday Chutney for the Book Parade this year. As I hadn't heard of the book I thought it must be good and wanted to read it. Should have borrowed it from the library instead of buying it. A little bit humorous in parts.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
I wanted to like this book. I expected to like this book. I'd enjoyed the beautiful warm feel of Blabey's first book. This has the same feel, but is rather more along the geeky scale, than the warm fuzzy scale. Sunday Chutney has parents who are always on the move, so she is always the new kid turning up at school, and she has developed some strategies to deal with that. She does have an imaginative view, but it's a bit too Deliberately Quirky.
Jul 19, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
I didn't think that this was a great book because there was no real plot to it, but I think that children would connect to the book because Sunday Chutney is a realistic girl. I think that children who move a lot and have to start at new schools will definitely benefit from reading this book because they will see that they are not alone and that there are other children who are in a similar position to them.
Book Bazaar
I enjoyed Sunday Chutney. She is a bright child but isolated due to the family moving frequently and has a wonderful, rich imaginary life. I liked the quirky illustrations and the funny comments - the kind of things kids say when they are parrotting things Mum and Dad have said to them.

I particularly liked the way Sunday went up to children in the playground to make friends - a nice message to kids on how to meet new people.
Traci Bold
May 12, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
My heart goes out to Sunday with all of her family travelling for her fathers job. However, she goes about life with exuberance and tolerance and care. She embraces the adventure and always being the new kid on the block.

A wonderful picture book about #adventure, #bravery and #courage.

Written and illustrated by Aaron Blabey, published by Front Street.
Felicia
Dec 04, 2015 Felicia rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorites! Chutney is a girl who has to change schools often due to her dad's job. She is used to being the new girl and tries to make the best of the situation. Although she does her best to stay optimistic, there are times when chutney wants a friend. Her biggest wish is to have the same home..or a monster truck!
Emkoshka
Nov 03, 2013 Emkoshka rated it liked it
Sunday Chutney is quirky and cool but she struggles to fit in at school. Illustrates well the tension between a transient childhood and the need to belong, but also the joy of being a free spirit whose imagination is often friend enough.
Krupal Morjaria
Sunday Chutney has moved around quite often and due to all of her moving around she isn't worried about what other people think. She's used to being the new kid in town. The story does a great job of teaching the readers that we have to learn how to let others in.
Irene Chen
May 06, 2013 Irene Chen rated it liked it
I love the optimism it spreads. Yet, the truth is, not knowing why, I feel she is lucky enough to have parents around wherever she goes, while many kids are left alone, or with one parent, or with grandparents, or at boarding schools.
Beth
Apr 08, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Both the story and Sunday herself are quite eccentric. An interesting book that celebrates being comfortable in the world and in your own skin. I still felt like there was something missing from the story, I'm just not sure what.
Allison
Feb 19, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
Sunday Chutney is different. She doesn't like having to change schools all the time, but it does mean that she gets to travel! Which is fabulous! She is good at making friends with girls, but, "if you ask me, boys smell, have germs, and probably love me."

Rock on, Sunday Chutney.
Leigh
Feb 21, 2012 Leigh rated it liked it
Sunday Chutney is about a girl called Sunday who never stays in the same place, she travels all around the world because of her dad's job. But what Sunday wants is to stay in the same home. Or a Monster Truck, it depends
Jan 27, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
A little weird, but I think that's the point. Go message of liking who you are and being okay with being different.
Kaitlyn V
Mar 06, 2012 Kaitlyn V rated it really liked it
it is a good book to read about friend ship and how people move and if you thinnk boys are smelly you enjoy it
Rachel Ann
Jun 03, 2014 Rachel Ann rated it it was amazing
A beautiful yet simplistic children's picture story, that has morals executed in a very humorous way. One of my favourites.
Jan 10, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations in this story about Sunday, who moves a lot and has to make new friends often. It is a perfect choice for reading at the start of the school year.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Pete & Pickles
  • Willow (Willow, #1)
  • A Child's Garden: A Story of Hope
  • Me With You
  • The Eensy Weensy Spider Freaks Out! (Big Time!)
  • By My Brother's Side
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Laura Numeroff's 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster
  • Rabbit's Snow Dance
  • The Little Refugee
  • The Magic School Bus and the Climate Challenge (The Magic School Bus, #12)
  • The Short and Incredibly Happy Life of Riley
  • Those Shoes
  • Don't Worry Bear
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an
More about Aaron Blabey...