Start by marking “Cold Tea on a Hot Day” as Want to Read:
Cold Tea on a Hot Day

Cold Tea on a Hot Day (Valentine #3)

Marilee James has a complicated life--caring for her special-needs son, playing surrogate mother to an abandoned niece and temporarily running the local paper until the new managing editor arrives. She's so busy attending to everyone else that her own yearnings get pushed aside.Then Tate Holloway comes speeding into town in his BMW, bringing his whiz-bang laptop, journalis ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Tea on a Hot Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Tea on a Hot Day

Jan 04, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is terrible. I read it for a 2015 reading challenge as my "Book with Antonyms in the Title," and I'm sorry it was my first book of the year.
Perhaps it is because I am not from the South, that I didn't understand a lick of any of the character's motives, but I can't imagine that people are so simple there. Not this simple. One example: The protagonist breaks off a 5-year relationship with a man, not because he cheated on her (which she admits she "understands!" WHAT?) but because the l
Jan 03, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this book very much. It is another of Curtiss Ann Matlock's series about the little town of Valentine, Oklahoma and the eccentric people who populate the town. This one is about Marilee, associate editor of the Valentine Voice, small town weekly newspaper. She is also a single mom who has also taken in her abandoned niece, Corrine to raise with her son Willie Lee, who is mentally challenged.

All sorts of things happen in Valentine. Marilee gets engaged to her boyfriend, Parker, the local v
Oct 27, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just so you know, I DO NOT like romance books, but this was a delightful exception!! Set in the fictional town of Valentine, Oklahoma. It is about a single mom who works at the local newspaper. A rivalry for her attentions comes from the local vet and the newspaper's new editor. This book does an excellent job of bringing the characters of this small town to life, and makes you care about each and every one (not just the main characters). There are several books this author has written that are ...more
Claudia Cheyne
Apr 11, 2015 Claudia Cheyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed all of Curtiss Ann Matlock's books even though I've been reading them out of order. Her characters are so human and likable. You're never sure what's going to happen next. You really can pick one of her books up and have it stand alone, or if you're like me you will keep finding them until you have savored every one.
Jan 16, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book three in a continuing series and I'm enjoying all that I've read. I love the characters, and how each one has their own story and situation, yet is incorporated into the overall storyline. It continues in the next book, At The Corner of Love and Heartache, finding Marilee James as well as others figuring out their lives and their hearts journey.
The story moved along quickly, characters were likeable but something about the story was missing. Not enough connection between the characters I think. Or maybe, up until the end, all the characters were settling into a relationship rather than any real passion for their partners. When I read a romance I want a little more than eating dinner or having ice tea. I want to escape a bit.
Jun 18, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this small town story. I enjoyed all the characters and liked that they were dealing with real life situations. Marilee is a single mom trying to deal with real life and maintain the day to day normal life for her and her son. Great read!
Jul 23, 2012 Marjorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Tate Holloway has bought the Valentine Voice and meets Marilee James, the managing editor. Marilee has a special needs son and a niece that take a lot of their time. Marilee is also dating the veterinarian. Tate is persistent and gets his woman.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Still updating my old reads. Ugh, what a tedious task. I read this many years ago for All About Romance. The review is archived HERE .
Jul 19, 2009 Maggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good story, interesting characters, I just couldn't get into it. I picked up this book because the main character has a special needs kid and so do I but I ended up liking the Tate character more than Marilee.
Dec 10, 2013 W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a "feel good" book... I started with this one (#3 in the series) because my library doesn't have the others in an e-book. I didn't feel as though I was missing anything by starting with #3.
Pjwhitmer rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Lindy Trimble
Lindy Trimble rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Kathi rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2007
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Connie rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Cammie rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2012
Kat Sk
Kat Sk rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2010
Janga rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2008
Vivian Schmacher
Feb 27, 2013 Vivian Schmacher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story and the unexpected changes in the characters.
Donna rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2012
Lori1035 rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Lucretia Dewberry
Lucretia Dewberry rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Allie Sloth
Allie Sloth rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Jessica White
Jessica White rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Karen rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2013
Hélène Louise
Hélène Louise rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2015
jacklyn s maybury
jacklyn s maybury rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2015
Janis Nickel
Janis Nickel rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Roses Love Garlic: Companion Planting and Other Secrets of Flowers
  • South Of Sanity (Hannah Garvey Mystery #2)
  • His Second-Chance Family (The Women of Brambleberry House, #2)
  • A Girl Named Rose (The Best of Betty Neels)
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • Love, Lies and a Double Shot of Deception
  • Summer in Tuscany
  • Southern Comforts
  • Just Desserts (Jersey Strong #4)
  • Heat Wave
  • The Observatory
  • Cypress Nights
  • Sister's Choice
  • Keep Your Mouth Shut and Wear Beige
  • Surrender to Love
  • Skinny Dipping
  • Sis Boom Bah
  • The Squire's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #10)
Curtiss Ann Matlock is the author of nearly forty books and short stories. With over 7 million copies in print worldwide, her books have earned rave reviews, spots on the USA TODAY bestseller list and numerous awards.

Born in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, into a family of avid readers, Curtiss Ann began reading before entering first grade and was writing vignettes while still in elementary school
More about Curtiss Ann Matlock...

Valentine (8 books)
  • Lost Highways (Valentine, #1)
  • Driving Lessons (Valentine, #2)
  • At the Corner of Love and Heartache (Valentine, #4)
  • Recipes for Easy Living (Valentine, #5)
  • Sweet Dreams at the Goodnight Motel (Valentine, #6)
  • Chin Up, Honey (Valentine, #7)
  • Little Town, Great Big Life (Valentine, #8)

“Foolishness is the human condition, and exactly what God handles best.” 3 likes