Start by marking “Bee-Bim Bop!” as Want to Read:
Bee-Bim Bop!

Bee-Bim Bop!

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  620 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
A wonderful paperback picture book about the joys of family and food, from Newbery Award winning author Linda Sue Park.

Bee-bim bop ("mix-mix rice") is a traditional Korean dish. In bouncy rhyming text, a hungry child tells of helping her mother make bee-bim bop: shopping, preparing ingredients, setting the table, and sitting down to enjoy a favorite meal. The enthusiasm of
Published November 10th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bee-Bim Bop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bee-Bim Bop!

Connie
May 15, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the catchy text. How many bouncy ways can we rhyme with bee bim bop? (A zillion, apparently.)

And I liked the recipe, and the family togetherness, and the artwork. (Note: I asked around when I cooked this, as I was short a few things, and was informed that this is one of those "meh" recipes where you don't have to be exact and can add or take away as you wish. I love those!)

As an atheist/agnostic I wasn't super-thrilled with the page dealing with them saying grace, however, this is
Gianni Llano
Feb 05, 2015 Gianni Llano rated it liked it
The book explores rhyming with a cultural dish. The cultural dish gives children the opportunity to explore their own favorite foods and find similarities among the ingredients used.
Kyrie
Aug 29, 2015 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, cookbook
Cute kid's story about a little girl who can't wait to make mixed up rice with her mom, and there's a wonderful recipe in the back that tells how to make it and how kids can help.
Michael Alumbaugh
Lee's drawings in the book go along very well with the story, and they are very entertaining. I read this book to my 4 year old and he keep laughing at the little girl who keep trying to help her mommy make supper. I think that the text was also enjoyable for him because it used a lot of repition and it was easy for him to read along to the words since he knew what was coming. I would use this book in a pre-k or a kindergarden class to help the students learn to read. Also you build a learning c ...more
Candice
Nov 24, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
A rhyming book about a little girl's favorite Korean dish - bee-bim-bop. There's a catchy rhyme and the little girl is certainly enthusiastic about helping her mom cook her favorite meal. The story tells how to make the dish and includes a recipe at the end. Even the recipe deserves a comment. It shows what a child can do (pour the rice into a rice cooker, mix the marinade ingredients), and what a grownup should do (mostly things with knives and the hot stove). Very enjoyable. And by the way, I ...more
Mooka Srisurayotin
"Bee Bim Bap" is one of my favorite Korean dish of rice topped, and then mixed with meats, eggs and various vegetables, then mixing the ingredients together in a bowl.

The book begins with a girl and her mother hurry to prepare Bee Bim Bop. A hungry girl tells story about helping her mother select groceries, preparing ingredients, setting the table and finally sitting down with her family to enjoy a their favourite meal, Bee Bim Bab!

The story depicts how a hungry child can be really helpful to m
Courtney Lauren Smith
Linda Sue Park did a great job with her book Bee-Bim Bop. Not only was the story fun to read with its rhyming play on words but the story was interesting and kept you wanting to know the whole time, "What is Bee-Bim Bop"? I found myself trying to guess just what is was going to be like as each of the ingredients and directions happened in the story.

The words flowed so nicely and the way the text was shaped on each page on certain lines made the story that much more fun to read. The illustration
DyolF Dixon
Jan 26, 2015 DyolF Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Bee-bim Bop by Linda Sue Park and illustrated by Hoo Baek Lee is the story of a Korean mother and daughter preparing a meal. They go shopping for the food. The food is repaired and cooked. The table is set. The family comes in the kitchen to eat. At every step of the process of preparing the meal the little girl said Bee-Bim Bop. The meal was rice topped with vegetables and meat. Bee-Bim Bop means mix-mix rice.
The whole book is a double-page spread. The colors are pastel and the pictures go out
Ashley Vang
May 11, 2016 Ashley Vang rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great because it tells the reader how bee-bim bop is made. The author tells the sotru in a great way a reader can understand how to make this rice mix with vegetables and meat is completed. This story shows a lot of rhyming and love from the authors heritage. It is detailed very well, based on the steps of how to make bee-bim bop, and what was included in the dish. The book was introduced through a way young readers can understand the culinary culture of Korea. The illustrations was ...more
Michael Ho
Oct 11, 2015 Michael Ho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bee-bim Bop! shows a little Korean girl that goes to the store with her mother to buy ingredients to make bee-bim bop. In this story, the use of rhymes and instruction. "Hungry-very hungry for some bee-bim bop!" You can see the enthusiasm in this quote because the little girl is really hungry. I like this book because it is also written in English. This gives non-Korean kids an opportunity to learn about other cultures. Reading this book, I'm sure a lot of kids will be curious to know what bee-b ...more
Cynthia
I enjoyed reading this book because it depicted a Korean family spending time together to make a traditional dish called Bee-bim Bop. I like how at the end we are given the recipe and a picture of the author cooking with her neice and nephew. We talked in class about making connections through foods and I believe this book does that. I also think this book is good to have in a classroom because it exposes us to another ethnic group especially because many people associate asians with being Chine ...more
Michelle
Dec 24, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this playful and engaging book, Linda Sue Park celebrates one family’s favorite traditional Korean dish, Bee-Bim Bop! From the grocery store, to the table, and all through the preparation time in between, a young Asian American girl maintains high excitement about her favorite dish. Park’s narrative text has great rhythm and flow, as well as a nice repetitive rhyming scheme that encourages participation. Lee’s exuberant watercolor illustrations are clear against a simple white background, and ...more
Melissa
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Review:Children's Literature
A young Korean girl is "Hungry hungry hungry for some Bee-Bim Bop." That is the refrain to this catchy, upbeat poem about a girl and her mother preparing dinner for their family. Not just any dinner, but Bee-Bim Bop, an appealing Korean dish that translates to "'mix-mix rice.'" The rhythm of this poem is irresistible and the little protagonist adorable. The illustrations convey the sense of urgency the protagonist feels as she anticipates her f
Hana Sm.
Jan 19, 2014 Hana Sm. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asian
A young Korean child is anxious to help her mother make Bee-bim Bop, which is a Korean dish made of rice, scrambled eggs, and beef with vegetables on top. The entire book involves rhyming words, most of which rhyme with the word bop. Page 2 reads, "Hurry, Mama, hurry Gotta shop shop shop! Hungry hungry hungry for some BEE-BIM BOP!" The pictures are cute but they look very cartoonish. At the end of the story is a recipe for Bee-bim Bop.

I would have my class make up a story using words that rhyme
KidsLit Book Club
Jun 29, 2014 KidsLit Book Club rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents & teachers of kids birth through preschool
Recommended to KidsLit by: Other preschool teachers
Shelves: june-2014
The sing-songy rhythm is excellent, and the 2 year olds in my classroom loved reading this again and again. It's a great book for introducing a cultural-specific food to kids who haven't heard of it before, without any statement unnecessary "lesson" about Korean culture, etc. It's as good a book for kids who regularly eat bee-bim bop as it is for kids who haven't heard of it before, and the recipe at the end makes it easy to try out.
jacky
Dec 04, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: preschool - grade school
Shelves: picture-books, tv
This was featured on Between the Lions. This was a cute story of a little girl excited over her mother making her favorite dish, bee-bim. The daughter really enjoys helping her mother and watching her mother cook. There is nice rhyming and repetition to get young children interested and reading along. The content of the story gives a little bit of insight into Chinese culture through describing the food, which most kids will understand because the ingredients are things they will be familiar wit ...more
Maggie KutsBorg
Wow. Really, wow. I was lukewarm on this book for storytime - I loved it on its own but I was convinced that the toddlers wouldn't care about it, follow it, or know what it was talking about. I was so, so wrong! They LOVED this book - totally engrossed. They even chanted "bee bim bop" with me whenever it came up in the rhyme, and completely without me coaching them! It was astonishing. Great, great storytime book.
Stephanie Rudzki
Feb 16, 2014 Stephanie Rudzki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story tells us what goes into the traditional Korean dish, bee-bim bop. The name simply means, "mixed up rice." A very cute short story about a young girl who goes to the grocery store with her mom and goes through the steps in order to make this dish at home. You can tell it is her favorite and she is in a huge rush to eat it. This book even has the recipe for it on the very last page.
Renate Robey
This rhyming book follows a young girl as she and her mom make a Korean dish called Bee-bim bop, which translates to "mixed-up rice."
This book shows diverse characters, foods and language. At the end of the book, there is a wonderful recipe that includes parts for a child and parts for the grown up. This builds phonological awarenss through the sounds and vocabulary.
Akoss
Jan 25, 2016 Akoss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter and I both enjoyed this book A LOT.
I'm sure the fun and bouncy rhymes have something to do with it.
I'm a fan of the author's writing and I'm so glad I got to appreciate her picture book writing skills.
We definitely need a copy of our own and maybe when my daughter stops being a picky eater she might be willing to try Bee-bim Bop. It is quite delicious.
Jana
I love the heart-warming illustrations that go along with the text. This book tells all of the steps (in rhyme) of making this yummy meal. The mom takes the little girl shopping, they work in the kitchen preparing this dish, they sit at the table with the whole family to enjoy it together. I love that the book includes the recipe so you can make it yourself after imagining it.
Abby Pooch
May 15, 2016 Abby Pooch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a really cute, rhyming story about a family making bee-bim bop (a Korean dish) together. The illustrations are fun, and the book is simple enough for young kids. Although no deep thoughts or ideas are presented here, it is a warm story of a family cooking together that is from a culture that not a lot of English children's books are written about.
Kelsey Ruggirello
Feb 05, 2015 Kelsey Ruggirello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book because it's about a little girl really excited to eat bee-bim bop and she's in such a hurry and then at the end of the book, there's instructions on how to make it. I think this will motivate students to want to make it at home with their parents because of how good the girl seemed to make it.
Shelli
Jun 17, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I have never tried “Bee-bim bop,” a traditional Korean dish with rice, meat, vegetables and eggs, but after reading this book I hope to soon. Even though the story is best suited for smaller children, my daughter and I both enjoyed reading it together and look forward to trying the delicious recipe the author provided in the afterward.
Tasia
Jun 11, 2014 Tasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hit! Our ESL kids were teaching their classmates about their home countries, and so we read this to supplement our Korean girl's lesson. The whole room caught onto the rhyming scheme, calling out "bee-bim bop!" when it was time. Just seeing their reactions tells me this is a good book to have in kindergarten.
Alex Deats
this is a fun little book about a girl that is shopping for groceries with her mom for a traditional Asian dish. What is so great about this book is that there is a lot of rhyming going on in the book. Kids will love to listen along. the pictures are great too. I like how they're simplistic and yet realistic as well.
Sunny
May 22, 2014 Sunny rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my son, but I'm sure I got as much enjoyment as he did reading it. Linda Sue Park does an outstanding job describing one of my favorite dishes and sharing the customs of my childhood. Written in a fun rhythm, I highly recommend this book to anyone with a kid or if you are just a kid at heart.
Monique
May 21, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Park has done it again. She has penned a delightful take about a family making dinner together. The light hearted rhythmic narrative shares the cultural magic of meal time. The illustrations are wonderful. The recipe at the end along with personal picture and explanation makes this a tale to share.
Rosie
May 14, 2016 Rosie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You love the rhythm of this fun book. You are often humming parts of this book long after we've read it. We love the process of cooking and it reminds you of what we do together. It's also great to actually have the Bee-bim Bop recipe at the end with cooking instructions for both adult and child.
Beth Felker
Nov 25, 2012 Beth Felker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a traditional Korean dish and a little girl helping her mom make this dinner. The child is really hungry and cannot wait till dinner! The text is rhythmic and predictable. My teacher used this book in my practicum classroom and the children just loved it because they were able to read along. The book shows a modern American Korean family which is also good for the children to see diversity. Linda Sue Park did a really good job writing this book. The illustrations are also grea ...more
  • Dumpling Soup
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Feast for 10
  • Mama's Nightingale: A Story of Immigration and Separation
  • Whopper Cake
Linda Sue Park is a Korean American author of children's fiction. Park published her first novel, Seesaw Girl, in 1999. To date, she has written six children’s novels and five picture books for younger readers. Park’s work achieved prominence when she received the prestigious 2002 Newbery Medal for her novel A Single Shard.

More about Linda Sue Park...