Start by marking “Hatter M: Volume Two - Mad With Wonder” as Want to Read:
Hatter M: Volume Two - Mad With Wonder

Hatter M: Volume Two - Mad With Wonder (Hatter M #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  630 ratings  ·  55 reviews
It's a mad, mad, mad world as Royal Bodyguard Hatter Madigan's maniacal quest to find Alyss continues! In Volume 2, Mad With Wonder, Hatter follows the Glow from London to the battlefields of America's Civil War in search of the Princess who must some day be Queen. The America that Hatter encounters is a sprawling, wounded, boiling landscape of innocence and energy run amo ...more
Hardcover, First Edition, 204 pages
Published October 5th 2009 by Automatic Pictures

To ask other readers questions about Hatter M, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hatter M

Bry
This book suffers from the same problems that the first volume suffered from. Namely the art - even though this volume was drawn by a different artist. While it is beautiful in a single frame it fails at coherently portraying a story from frame to frame as it is so ethereal, undefined, and foggy. It is often hard to determine what actions are taking place, and even after reading 2 volumes I am still unsure as to what Hatter really looks like.

The plot in this volume also jumps around and is hard
David Edmonds
Kate
I definitely didn't like this one as much as the first one but I will absolutely finish the trilogy. However, this one did quote Doctor Who, so that was a plus.
Lanier
Mar 15, 2012 Lanier rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic Book/Graphic Novel Lovers with epic and intelligent plots
While graphics are far more rudimentary in Beddor's comics, the story line, themes and ideas are intense and amazing. Perhaps meant for a far more mature audience, Hatter M, appeals to more of my current students than other comics from Marvel's ridiculous Daredevil series.

This series is "Dedicated to the lost Sir Cook, following his own radical map," which I'd like to say, I'm on a similar journey.

What I like best about Beddor's books are their subtle and not-so-subtle themes and how they are pi
Earl
Jul 14, 2012 Earl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, kids
I’m not much of a comic book/ graphic novel reader but “Mad with Wonder”, volume two in the “Hatter M” series, continued to be a good introduction to the genre.

Frank Beddor re-imagined Lewis Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland” so richly with “The Looking Glass Wars” that it’s no surprise the novels has spun off into an online RPG and comics to tell all the stories. In Beddor’s Wonderland, there are no rabbit holes and no mad tea parties but a full fledged war where cards and chessmen turn into soldi
Nik
*SPOILERS* Hatter M Vol 2 is great. It’s hard for me to outdo Vol 1, but this is a good follow up. Hatter is still looking for Princess Alyss and is still not finding her. But along the way he runs into other young girls with high imagination and manages to save them at times. Redd sends magic bullets with his name on them to kill him via 3 incompetent idiots. Is it me, or should Redd just come to Hatter and kill him herself with such stupid minions? In THIS volume, it is Hatter who needs to be ...more
Morgan Lee
This is an awesome graphic novel that follows the original storyline of The Looking Glass Wars, but also adds little bits and pieces of what Hatter M is up to while we're focused on other characters throughout the novels. Fantastic artwork and obviously a great storyline which Frank Beddor always delivers. A must read for lovers of The Looking Glass Wars and even those unfamiliar with the series as it stands on its own. The art in this graphic novel is wonderful and I can't say enough about the ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Starting off in Wonderland Redd receives a report of the events of book one (this also helpfully refreshes the reader's memory) then we return to Hatter who is now in London and five years have gone by since his search began. He then leaves London for America at the time of the Civil War, fighting all sorts of enemies from earth and Wonderland as he continues to search for Alyss. I've become more comfortable with the story at this point but with the appearance of characters from the novels reali ...more
Shelby
I only started this series because it was recommended to me. I really am finding it hard to get into these books. On the other hand, my daughter thinks they are genius. So there you have it. She loves everything about them but says that the art/illustration is better in book one. I think the opposite. I thought the storyline was better in book 2 and I also thought the art was better in book 2. More color, more detail... Though I have given this book only 3 stars, I don't want that to keep anyone ...more
Candice M (tinylibrarian)
I haven't read the Looking Glass Wars series of novels by Frank Beddor so I can't compare this to that, but I'm a big fan of Ben Templesmith's work so I really enjoyed his artwork in volume 1 of this comic. In this volume, Sami Makkonen has taken up the mantle previously held by Ben Templesmith as the illustrator. Makkonen's style is similar to Templesmith's and definitely adds to the atmosphere of the story, but I feel Makkonen's style is less refined and more sketchlike. Templesmith's artwork ...more
aaron
this is the second graphic novel release in the hatter m series by frank beddor. they are companion comics to the novel series which reimagines the alice in wonderland series. the hatter m series finds hatter madigan (the title character) hunting in the "real world" for princess alyss of wonderland. she had been pushed in the the pool of tears which connects to the real world and hatter jumps in to find her. he continues his journey and many different barriers attempt to take him down. this is a ...more
Mizuki
I also wanted to give this book 3 stars because the first few stories are a bit dim, but the rich imaginary of last story saves it from being too dull, so instead it's a four stars read.
Ingrid
Awesome! I just love Hatter Madigan and his hat. Can hardly wait to read volume 3!
Icats
In Volume Two, Hatter M – Mad with Wonder, we continue to follow Hatter Madigan’s search for the princess of Wonderland, Alyss. This time the glow takes us to America in the Civil War Era. Like Volume One, 5-stars for illustrations and graphic set-up, great eye-candy. Also like Volume One, it starts out a little slow and takes a while to get back to the meat of the story. I think I almost found Hatter M Institute for Paranormal Travel back section more fascinating than the story, but when it hit ...more
Catherine
Sigh. While the art is easier to follow in this volume, there are still times when I can't figure out what's happening. Also, some things only made sense after I read the extras at the end of the book. While there are a few interesting philosophical points about the nature of Hatter Madigan's journey, mainly that the people he encounters on his quest to find Princess Alyss are at least as important to his overall mission of saving Wonderland as the princess is, I find the story is largely filler ...more
Heather
I really like Hatter Madigan, I have a slight crush on him actually and I love the whole idea of these graphic novels where Hatter M is searching for the lost princess of Wonderland, Alyss, by following the Glow of Imagination off people in our world but I have a difficult time following the storyline and I don't really like the illustrations but it still keeps my attention and I did really like the historical part of this one and how Queen Redd's Black Imagination is fueling the American Civil ...more
David
When I started reading this series, I didn't like it much. It seemed a little forced, and in the beginning the background of the story seemed very uncomfortably unclear for me.

I must note that by the end of this book, I was reaching for the other two I had checked out after it- glad that the series had continued. I loved the 'Millinary man' Madigan, and I love his quest... really interesting once you get into it- and I got very attached to him as a character. Good stuff!
Rosa
I like the artwork for this volume a lot more then I liked the artwork for the previous volume. It's really gorgeous to look at. Unfortunately while it's pretty to look at, the hazy free flowing style does make the action difficult to follow. I really love the story line and I like how the author weaves real historical figures and actions into the story line. (I'm a sucker for good historical fiction/fantasy interweavings).
Drucilla
Actual rating: 3.5 stars. I much prefer this artist over the last one. The art is clearer and you can make out what is going on. As for the story, I like it better too. Hatter isn't self-contained during his quest and the reader gets to see the people he meets and how he affects them. And not only does this book tie together more with its companion series, it also gives more backstory on Hatter, which is great.
Despite the fact that there is a different artist at the helm this time, I again wasn't very into the illustrations. The colors were very murky in this volume, and I found that some of the characters were quite distorted, such as what was supposed to be an 11-year-old boy looked like an adult male. While these books are never very text heavy, the dialogue seemed particularly sparse in this installment.
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

Hideous art.
Weird dialogue.
Crap pacing.
Worthless story. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Looking Glass Wars series and adore the whole concept, but the author is going NOWHERE with these books.)

It's plain bad.
Terribad.

And I have a complete inability to explain to myself why I'm even bothering at this point.
Tom
Jan 27, 2011 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I'll be perfectly honest, I preferred Templesmith at the visual helm. However, I do enjoy this installment of the comic series - seeing Hatter work his way through the American Civil War was sort of a neat way to anchor the story in time, and did have some fairly poignant moments. I look forward to future installments.
Chris Hutchinson
A great reader and a great filler to the storyline of the Looking Glass War. I enjoyed how the Hatter is searching for Alice and having to jump through the puddles hoping he will land and be able to rescue his charge. Looking forward to the next story hopefully being able to see the battle between him and the Cat.
Ted Child
The concept of this garphic novel and the entire series, including the prose novels, are better than the actual application, unfortunately. Great art and not terrible writing make this worth checking out but not worth getting excited about. I think Beddor could have done a lot more with this idea.
Hank
Jul 07, 2011 Hank rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: trash
The war over imagination continues in America. Hatter still seeks Alyss fervently and cannot rest until he finds her. The art in this books, created by Sami Makkonen, reminds a great deal of the scratchy discord that of Lynn Varley used to draw the unsettling world of The Dark Night Returns.
Rachel Olivia
Not nearly as violent as the first one, but still very dark and macbre. (I love that word.) I like this artist so much better than the other one. These had a dark and almost evil look about them and Hatter looked much cooler thanks to the awesome and billowy trench coat he wears. I want it.
Danielle
Hatter Madigan's quest to find the lost Princess Alyss continues... Five years have past and he's still no where closer. Overall, it's very much like volume one. A lot of questing and no finding the princess. I really feel like I need to have read the novel to be getting into this series.
Stacy
I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels-too much graphic, not enough novel, but I wanted to see the backstory to Hatter Madigan and his time searching fro Alyss. I enjoyed it very much. Wrongs are righted and he goes about being a hero even when he isn't finding the princess.
Christina
INteresting continuation of Hatter's search for Alyss. I still don't like the art style, but the story is fun. Hatter meets a Native American shaman out West, and battles evil possessed rebel soldiers from the Civil War, and of course he still doesn't find Alyss.
Shannon
The artwork is very beautiful, but the writing could be improved on a bit. I love Frank Beddor's novels, but his diologe in the graphic novels leaves a little to be desired, sometimes it's hard to follow, and at other times things are a bit unnecessary.
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 2
  • Tales from Wonderland, Volume 3
  • Girl Genius Omnibus Volume One: Agatha Awakens
  • Wormwood, Gentleman Corpse, Vol. 2: It Only Hurts When I Pee
  • All Things Alice: The Wit, Wisdom,and Wonderland of Lewis Carroll
  • Jabberwocky
  • Jack of Fables, Vol. 1: The [Nearly] Great Escape (Jack of Fables, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Cable and Deadpool, Vol. 2: The Burnt Offering
  • Elephantmen, Vol. 1: Wounded Animals
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • God Save the Queen
In addition to being an author with a penchant for retelling Alice in Wonderland, he is also a champion freestyle skier, a film producer, stuntman, actor, and CEO of Automatic Pictures Production Co.
More about Frank Beddor...
The Looking Glass Wars (The Looking Glass Wars, #1) Seeing Redd (The Looking Glass Wars, #2) ArchEnemy (The Looking Glass Wars, #3) Hatter M, Vol. 1: The Looking Glass Wars Princess Alyss of Wonderland