Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean

Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean (Center for Cartoon Studies Presents)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean, a graphic novel written by Sarah Stewart Taylor and illustrated by Ben Towle, tells the story of Amelia Earhart's historic crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in 1928.

Earhart developed a love of flying at a very young age...and she wasn't about to let any man get in the way of her dreams. What began as a simple joy became something much deeper...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Earhart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Earhart

The Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonHaven by Leonardo RamirezPride of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan
History through graphic novels
83rd out of 260 books — 169 voters
Lost in Shangri-la by Mitchell ZuckoffBomber by Len DeightonA Week at the Airport by Alain de BottonWings by Danielle SteelGoing Solo by Roald Dahl
The Plane! The Plane!
58th out of 89 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Jun 14, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: 2010, j-comics
Very engrossing and a very quick read. Details Earhart's historic flight across the Atlantic. Told from the perspective of a girl named Grace, who is very interested in Earhart's endeavors. Interestingly, since the story is told from Grace's perspective, we only get to experience what happens before the flight, and then we see Grace's jubilation when she learns that Earheart has landed safely on the other side of the Atlantic. There is nothing about the actual flight. I wonder why that is, becau...more
Emilia P
nicely drawn, a little too monotonous, a little too much just a Girl Power story. I would like to know more about Amelia Earhart but I didn't learn it here. Also, the all blue inking, I'm not sure I liked it here. The last few panels were pretty amazing. I think the art could have been great if the story was a little stronger.

I didn't realize that this, Houdini, Thoreau and .. one of the James Sturm's are all Center for Cartoon Studies. And that James Sturm founded it. That's pretty cool. Genera...more
Donalyn
Grace, a young Newfoundlander, witnesses Amelia Earhart's historic Atlantic Ocean crossing.

Eileen Collins, NASA astronaut, writes a heartfelt introduction to this graphic novel, crediting Earhart for opening the door for generations of women pilots.

The old-fashioned coloration of this book-- black, white, and Tiffany-blue--celebrates the comic book style of the 1920's and the water that Earhart crossed.

Panel discussions in the back provide historical information about Earhart and her experiences...more
Likes: Nice graphic novel (simple black, white, and blue pictures which reminded me of the sky and ocean, which was cool) about Amelia Earhart, told from the POV of a young girl who is a budding journalist in Newfoundland and meets Amelia at the start of her first Atlantic crossing. Has a chapter in the back with background info to accompany the panels, as well as some suggested reading. Should appeal to teens, tweens, and older kids who are interested in Amelia and flying in general. Could also...more
Sharon Medina
I really enjoyed this book by Sarah Taylor. The book is a graphic novel of Amelia Earhart which tells the story of Amelia’s crossing of the Atlantic Ocean which happened in 1928. The story is based off of a girl name Grace who lives in Treppassey in Newfoundland Canada. Amelia had made a stop in the small town and the girl Grace was able to interview Amelia regarding her life. Amelia is known to be the first woman to make the journey across the Atlantic Ocean in a plane.

This book does not focus...more
M.Q. Barber
This book has three separate elements, all of which are worth reading.

The foreword by Eileen Collins is wonderfully written and inspiring. Even if you usually skip forewords, don't skip this one. It's an elegant nod to the continuity of adventure and exploration. Given the end of NASA's manned shuttle missions, it reads a little bittersweet these days, but it's still inspiring.

The story itself is less about Amelia Earhart specifically than it is about an intrepid girl reporter and Earhart's inf...more
Glenda Peterman
Told from the perspective of a fictional, young girl named Grace, this graphic novel/biography focuses on Amelia Earhart’s famous flight over the Atlantic Ocean in 1928. Grace is an aspiring reporter and looks up to Amelia Earhart’s determination and strong-will. Grace admires that Amelia Earhart wants to break barriers for women. Even though the interaction of Grace and Amelia are fictional, the reader learns about a more personable Amelia. The story discusses actual events such as the struggle...more
Heather
Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean is a graphic novel which focuses on the journey Earhart made across the Atlantic in 1928. The story is told from the perspective of the character Grace. Grace's mother called her "Nosy Rosy" because she is always in everybody's business. Earhart shows up to Grace's town, Trespassey, Newfoundland. The town is a buzz with the excitement of Earhart launching her journey in this small ocean-side town. Grace follows Earhart around and is completely intrigued by her. S...more
Becky
I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't know there were other female pilots competing in a race across the Atlantic, but it makes sense. This graphic novel biography gave me chills, especially p. 51. More of my thoughts here: http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub/2012/...

Also interesting: How much telegrams were like text messages in their abbreviated-ness. Everything old is new again. :)

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act; the rest is merely tenacity," Amelia said. "You can do anything you de...more
Maribel
It is always nice to read about Amelia Earhart. This graphic-novel makes very easy to read about Amelia's first flight across the Atlantic in 1928. Although this book only talk about that trip, it is underline perfectly Amelia's determination and strenght. Beautiful introduction by Eileen Collins, first female pilot of a Space Shuttle,where she highlight the great achievements of this woman, even "...in a time when women were expected to be something else..." and recognizes the deep influence th...more
Katie Bruce
Another great book from The Center for Cartoon Studies! The drawings were really great and the panels easy to follow (for an "every once in a while graphic novel reader). I also liked how they only used black and white and blue.

Choosing to focus solely on Earhart's first crossing of the Atlantic worked well. However, I feel like I've been engaging with a lot of media about her recently (like that movie with Hilary Swank? Yeah, I totally just watched that a few months ago), so it is hard for me t...more
Lisa
Nice intro to Amelia Earhart for kids who want to know more about her and what drove her. The story is mainly about one event, her crossing the Atlantic as a passenger, the book also includes a quite a bit of other information about her and some of the other main players in the aviation field at the time. Pretty cool.
Mary
I thought this book was very good! It was educational as well as entertaining. I really liked how the main character Gracie was not afraid to be who she was even when everyone else was not as supportive of her choices. The recommended audience for this book would be children in grades second through sixth. This is a story about a strong woman, Amelia Earhart, who sets out achiever her goal no matter what anyone else said. I think that this is a great book for females beause it shows that females...more
Abby
A beautifully drawn comic that focuses on one short episode in Earhart's life (the obstacles she experienced in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland before her successful transatlantic flight), intertwining her actual experiences with those of a fictional young girl in Harbour Grace who dreams of being a journalist. A quick but engaging read that will spark interest in Earhart's life & accomplishments among older children & younger teens. Historical notes at the end of the book flesh out the stor...more
'sylvie'
cute but shallow
Sandy
An odd little blend of biography and storytelling as we get the story of Amelia Earhart's first crossing of the Atlantic Ocean from the perspective of a young girl living in the town where Earhart's flight is set to take off. As with other graphic novels from the Center for Cartoon Studies (Houdini: The Handcuff King, for example) the art is well executed in three colors: black, white, and blue.
Lupe
This story is set in Halifax and tells the story of Amelia's preparation for her trip across the Atlantic Ocean, through the eyes of a young girl. By putting the story in a youngster's perspective, the history seems more relevant to children. The graphic novel concept makes the story more interesting and easier to read. I also thought it was interesting to use only B/W with blue accents to emphasize the ocean. The author also includes notes and a bibliography - these could be resources for more...more
Marisa
Very interesting juvenile graphic novel biography of Amelia Earhart. Focuses on a very short period of Amelia's life -- her first trip across the atlantic, as a passenger. Yes, folks, in our not so distant history it was a big deal for a woman to RIDE across the Atlantic. Of course, not long before Amelia's time it was big deal for ANYONE to ride or fly across the atlantic. So let's not be too harsh in our judgements. Anyone, it's done its job in that now I want to learn more about Amelia Earhar...more
Jennifer B
A really interesting story and book-- I would not usually read a book about Amelia Earhart- not from lack of interest but I just don't read a lot of non-fiction especially historical figures but since this is a graphic novel and I met the artist at the 20`0 HereosCon I read this and am happy I did. Really stunning and unique drawings and since the story focused on just a small part of Amelia's life I thought it was really intriguing. I am tempted to read more about her.
Another selection for my 4th grade biography presentation. I like the way this presents the history, rather then trying to cram everything and every story into the narrative, it frames the basic story into one occasion and shows the determination Earhart faced and some of the obstacles she overcame. It was a quick read, and I think that it does present a different type of biography (which is what I'm aiming to present).
W.H. Beck
Amelia Earhart is best known for being a pioneering pilot and for her disappearance during her quest to be the first woman to fly around the world. This book tells the story (in comics!) of Amelia's crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in 1928. Here we get to see her relentless ambition, tireless will, and love for adventure through the eyes of a little girl with equal spunk.

(96 pages)
Shaeley Santiago
The story of Earhart's trip across the Atlantic told from perspective of a young girl who publishes her own daily newspaper in the small Canadian town of Trepassey, Newfoundland. After many setbacks, Earhart and her crew finally take off on their trans-Atlantic flight.

Interesting historical facts at the back of the book including info on The 99's and other female pilots.
Excellent and highly recommended! Not a biography although there is factual information in the end pages but more a snap shot of her trip across the Atlantic. I love how the personal story unfolds to show how much of an inspiration to girls/women she was. The writing and illustrations are good. Great for everyone 3rd grade and up.
Erin
The monochromatic illustrations were charmingly old-fashioned, but I felt this was less about Amelia Earhart and more about strong women role models and the effect they have on young girls.

A good read, and very girl-empowering, but not as much of a biography as I thought it was going to be.
Megan Park
This is the second book I have read from The Center for Cartoon Studies and I have to say it is a fabulous short telling of Amelia Earhart's crossing of the Atlantic. Not only is it entertaining, but full of interesting facts about many of the early women in aviation.
Tracey
Graphic novel based on Amelia Earhart's Atlantic Ocean crossing in 1928. It was interesting to read a non-fiction book in this format. It think it would make non-fiction more appealing to certain students. Very quick read - one hour.
Jess
A wonderful motivational story told through a graphic novel. I must say the graphic novel is one on my favorite mediums, especially for biographies, there is just so much that you can tell through a picture and minimal words.
Ellen
Perfect blend of fact and fiction in this graphic novel told from the point of view of a young girl reporter who meets Amelia Earhart before her flight across the Atlantic. Lots of historical details.
Ms.Gaye
The Center for Cartoon Studies has created a fun history book. Text is easy to read, simple blue & white drawings. Additional information is included at the back of the book.
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • Thoreau at Walden
  • Amazing Greek Myths of Wonder and Blunders
  • Around the World
  • Lost Boy: The Story of the Man Who Created Peter Pan
  • Words Set Me Free: The Story of Young Frederick Douglass
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready
  • Electrical Wizard: How Nikola Tesla Lit Up the World
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Set to Sea
  • Houdini: The Handcuff King
  • The Extraordinary Mark Twain (According To Susy)
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • The Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook
  • Becoming Babe Ruth
202386
Sarah Stewart Taylor was born in 1971 on Long Island, New York and was educated at Middlebury College and Trinity College, Dublin. Her first novel, O' Artful Death (2003) was nominated for an Agatha Award. In addition to writing mystery novels, she teaches at the Center for Cartoon Studies. She lives with her husband and young son on a farm in Vermont.
More about Sarah Stewart Taylor...
O' Artful Death (A Sweeney St. George Mystery #1) Mansions of the Dead (A Sweeney St. George Mystery #2) Judgment of the Grave (A Sweeney St. George Mystery #3) Still as Death (A Sweeney St. George Mystery #4) O' Artful Death: A Mystery (Sweeney St. George Mysteries)