Start by marking “One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land” as Want to Read:
One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land

One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land

The Egyptians in Exodus 1 were intent on enslaving the Israelites, wearing them down so that God’s chosen people would become disillusioned and not live up to their destiny. Of the original two million Israelites who received God’s invitation to enter the Promised Land, only two actually entered it!

Similarly, modern day Christians often hear and understand the promises of
Published March 1st 2010 by B&H Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about One in a Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One in a Million

Ibelisse Sanchez
Oct 21, 2010 Ibelisse Sanchez rated it it was amazing
Has something that you needed but did not ask for drop into your lap unexpectedly? This happened to me with Priscilla Shirer’s new book, One in a Million: Journey to Your Promised Land. It is without a doubt one of those books that touches your inner fibers so profoundly that you will consider it a landmark in your spiritual journey. The kind that gives you goose bumps when you are reading it because you think it was written especially for you.

Shirer uses the biblical narrative of Exodus 1 to te
Larisha
Mar 04, 2011 Larisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to be challenged to move out of your comfort zone and into deeper intimacy with God? Then this book is for you.

The title, One in a Million, refers to the fact that out of approximately t
Aimee
Feb 07, 2012 Aimee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Priscilla is a very talented and relateable writer. She gave me fresh perspective on the exodus of the Israelites out of Egypt and challenged me to move out of my personal 'egypts' into my promised land. This is one of the most balance and real books that I have read on what it looks like to live in the promised land with lots of practical application. Priscilla makes scripture come alive!
Charisse Tyson
Oct 13, 2013 Charisse Tyson rated it it was amazing
Priscilla did a great job of encouraging Christians to come up higher and enjoy a Christ filled life despite any adversities the devil throws our way to rob us of our joy and peace. If you'd like to step into the best God has to offer this book will be encouraging to you.
Christi
May 31, 2013 Christi rated it it was amazing
If you're in a difficult or dry season of your life, this is a must read. I did what I never do and picked a book by its cover, and it was obviously God leading me to it. God used this book so much in my life and it has been the biggest encouragement in this season of life!!
faithful
Sep 20, 2010 faithful rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
.. like my pastor says "if you cannot say amen, say ouch".

The content of this book is dynamic, matches up with the Word, and is an exhortation to move deeper into a relationship with God.
Audrey
Apr 22, 2014 Audrey rated it really liked it
“The travel isn’t easy when you’re headed in the direction of abundant living” says Priscilla Shirer, and although too few choose to participate, she invites us to join her on the journey of our lives, one that will be sometimes exciting, other times daunting, but a ride that will never be boring. “God’s way is too unusual and mysterious for boredom even to be an option” declares Priscilla, and she promises that “the prize of abundant living will make the trip well worth it.”

With each book that
Diane
Dec 15, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, bookclub
3.5 stars. I enjoyed the book but enjoyed the workbook & video much more.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 23, 2010 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviews
MY REVIEW:

Would you like to be a "one-in-a-million" kind of person? Do you want to experience God in a deeper way?

Priscilla Shirer takes a look at what it means to eat, live, and breath the Christian walk. I appreciated her honest approach and vulnerability which meets you right where you are as you read. While I can not say that I agree with everything she said, I did appreciate much of her perspective and sharing of Scripture. My favorite part was the last chapter where Priscilla shared 7 very
Kristin
Apr 25, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
I loved the last half the book better than the first, but it was a solid book I would definitely recommend to other readers. I believe I enjoyed the book more as I read it, because I was further along in my spiritual journey than where the book began. Loved her style of writing and the truths she explored. Looking for my "one in a million" friend that will pursue truth with me!
Jenifer Smith
Feb 25, 2016 Jenifer Smith rated it it was amazing
God put this in my lap and told me to read it. He spoke through this book to me right where I was in my journey with Him. He used other messages I listened to at the same time along with His Word to confirm what He was telling me. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. Definitely a life-changer!
Jessie Pannell
Feb 15, 2014 Jessie Pannell rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I read this to search it out for an upcoming women's class. I really enjoyed Mrs. Shirer's style of writing. As to the content, I found it balanced and Biblical as well as very challenging. In short, I'm looking forward to the video session that correlate with this book and the ensuing discussions.
E.A.G. E.A.G.
Jun 17, 2016 E.A.G. E.A.G. rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and the details of how everything and everyone has a place if we actually choose to follow what is laid out for us. Won't give anything away. Just a great read. Did the workbook and video sessions. Didn't see the workbook on here.
Trish Mcallister
Feb 03, 2015 Trish Mcallister rated it it was ok
I am a big fan of Priscilla's, but I did not love this book. It was ok, but it certainly did not speak to me. Having said all that, you should read it for yourself and make your own conclusions.
Joy
Jun 21, 2016 Joy rated it it was amazing
Kim Justice
Jan 24, 2014 Kim Justice rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: reviewed
Oh My, Oh My... A very deep in the word and by the time you are thru this out standing Bible Study you will be CHANGED!

The ladies at the church in which I attend, Wing Of Faith Fellowship in Florida, had the awesome chance to study along with the amazing Author and Bible Teacher, Priscilla Shirer. Let me tell you ladies if you ever get the chance to do one or any of this Sweet, God Loving, Ladies Bible Teacher... Make Sure You Do! You will not be disappointed at all.

To read more of my review:
Feb 25, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Great Bible study. We just finished this one at WOW. It was a 6-week study. I learned a lot from this study about wandering in the wilderness, that God sometimes leads us into the wilderness to teach us obedience, to test our faith, to show us miracles. We have to obey God completely and immediately, we should expect miracles, we should have courage to step into the raging waters, we should do exactly what God tells us to do. God loves us. We are His people. He is always with us. When we need so ...more
Sandy
Mar 04, 2015 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Bible study PFB
Mindy Reed
Apr 15, 2015 Mindy Reed rated it it was amazing
One of the best I have ever read. It's easy to read Exodus and see the Hebrews as faithless, complaining wanderers with no trust in God. Il for the first time I could really relate and see myself in their story.
Englandjennifer
Aug 27, 2011 Englandjennifer rated it it was amazing
Priscilla was talking to me from one page to the next. Very convicting and her own personal stories just add to scripture and help you not feel so alone. Whether you are still in Egypt, in the wilderness, at the mountain...there are so many places along the journey where you could be stuck and she shines the light for you so you can "turn, set and go" towards your promise land. I really loved this book, and the funny part I didn't think I would and I had no intentions of reading it
Glenda Billingsley
Sep 16, 2013 Glenda Billingsley rated it it was amazing
Awesome book and Priscilla Shirer is wonderful. This book came to me at a very tough time in my life and I truly believe The Lord put it into my hands to read now. The Israelites wandered in the desert and faced trials and tribulations, much as I find myself doing now. If we can learn the lessons God wants us to learn by going thru these situations, we will grow in our faith and truly get to know our Lord more intimately. That can't be a bad thing! I may start over and read it again!
Brittany Turner
Jun 01, 2015 Brittany Turner rated it it was amazing
Fantastic and practical push to live life different and in the abounding grace of God's extravagant love.
Kelli
Nov 14, 2010 Kelli rated it really liked it
A great book for wisdom on things that we (women..and probably guys too) struggle with alot in our day to day thought life. I always tend to have to pray for reassurance of just whatever I am going to do in life, or praying to do, and Priscilla has the pinpoint of how and why to trust God fully. Her writing makes it feel like she is talking to you across the table at starbucks. Simple ways of understanding tough things.
Holly
Feb 17, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
this book was instrumental in helping me make some major decisions for our family.
Ricka
Feb 14, 2013 Ricka rated it it was amazing
This is one of the many books that came into my life at just the right time. I needed this book so much that I bought a copy of it to keep, refer to often and share with anyone else in need of the words of wisdom that fill this book.

Cle Buckley
Jun 12, 2012 Cle Buckley rated it it was amazing

Taught as a small group women's Bible study. Really an eye-opener to why we are not experiencing the abundant life God has for us. Also full of practical lessons on how to get to that abundant "out-of-the-box" life. Worth the study time.
Chrissy
Jul 25, 2013 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is ready to really believe God's plan for their life and act on it.
Recommended to Chrissy by: N/A
This is one of those books that makes me think I should start a list of books to read over each year. Fantastic. Priscilla's writing style is enjoyable and entertaining to boot and feels as though she's writing to her closest friend.
Stephanie
Oct 16, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
A great perspective on the similarities between the Israelites and our lives as Christians. Priscilla Shirer is great at writing conversationally--I felt like we were having a chat :)
Jessica
May 17, 2012 Jessica added it
Recommended to Jessica by: Kelly Cook May
Comparison of the journey of the Israelites to the Promised Land to the trials of women today. So far fairly thought invoking, some surprises.
Brienne
Jun 22, 2013 Brienne rated it really liked it
I completed this study with my bible study. It was thought-provoking and easily applied a journey,that did not seem to relate to me, to my life.
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • James: Mercy Triumphs (Member Book)
  • Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl
  • Faithful Abundant True Weekend Retreat and Study Guide: Three Lives Going Deeper Still
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • It's No Secret: Revealing Divine Truths Every Woman Should Know
  • The Girl's Still Got It: Take a Walk with Ruth and the God Who Rocked Her World
  • The Friendships of Women
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life

“Living in freedom means learning how to walk again—learning how to walk God’s way for a change—because, listen, you can be 100 percent saved and still spend the majority of your time in Egypt. Unbelievers aren’t the only ones who contribute to Egypt’s overcrowding.” 1 likes
“The taste of manna "was like wafers with honey" (Exod. 16:31, Num. 11:7)... It was indeed the "bread of heaven" (Ps. 78:24)... Just bcause the sharp, strong bite of their beloved Egyptian foods had become preferred tastes of choice in their mouths did not mean that nothing else had the power to satisfy them. In fact, God likely created the moist, sweet manna to serve as a marked contrast to their monster-breath favorites, those fire-breathing flavors that had so long grown delectable to palates poisoned by Egypt's influence. The purity of God's nightly manna against the harsh, high-heat quality of onions and garlic was not merely an ongoing gift of nourishment, but also the beginning of a long process to wean the Hebrews from their loves. It was a clear change of taste.
While the enemy works overtime to keep us addicted to past likes, God relentlessly shapes us through wise amounts of blessing and correction to make us want what's really good for us, till we can truly "taste and see that the LORD is good (Ps. 34:8). He refuses to offer us anything that would excite our prior obsessions, knowing that if we are ever to start living like free men and women, we need to start eating like it.”
0 likes