Start by marking “Graffiti New York” as Want to Read:
Graffiti New York

Graffiti New York

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Decades after the movement globalized, New York is still the mecca of graffiti culture. Painting there is a badge of honor, with graffiti artists from around the globe making pilgrimages to New York for that purpose. This is the city where it all began, yet few know the back story.

Graffiti New York fills that gap, detailing the concepts, aesthetics, ideals, and social stru
Published October 1st 2009 by Abrams (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Graffiti New York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Graffiti New York

abcdefg
I picked this up mainly out of curiosity. You walk down the street and see letters written up on buildings, phone booths, bus shelters, etc. that you can't even read and you wonder "so, what's this about? What does it mean? How do they get their monikers? Is it gang activity?"

Mostly, from reading this book, I've found it's NOT as gang related as I initially thought it to be. There's a wide range of graffiti styles and each individual makes their name their own. From tags to throw-ups to pieces a
Dereth
The term "graffiti writers" is new to me. Northwest Washington State is not a hotbed of graffiti culture. I am an inveterate train-watcher and became a graffiti watcher, as well. What I observed on the cars as they passed by awakened in me the recognition of an art form. I am amazed at the shapes and forms writers create with letters and words. This is a beautiful book.
Reno (Falling Letters)
Review originally posted 1 February 2013 on Falling Letters.

A very thorough and enlightening read on the history of graffiti in New York. Lots of comments from writers throughout the decades, photos, input from law enforcement, description of techniques and supplies, etc.
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Rob Inglis
Rob Inglis marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Fatima Batool
Fatima Batool is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Kpod
Kpod marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Bill Benzon
Bill Benzon is currently reading it
Oct 04, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Marielle Lien
Marielle Lien marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Brian Bauer
Brian Bauer marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Landon Dias
Landon Dias marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Thomas Abrams
Thomas Abrams marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013