Start by marking “The Falling Raindrop” as Want to Read:
The Falling Raindrop

The Falling Raindrop

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  23 reviews
As a storm rumbles and flashes, something wonderful happens up in the clouds: a raindrop begins his journey to earth, thrilled and delighted to be flying. But when flying begins to feel like falling, the raindrop can’t enjoy himself for fear that a big change is coming.

After hitting a campfire on the ground, the raindrop begins his journey back to the clouds as a wisp of
Published March 23rd 2010 by Tricycle Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Falling Raindrop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Falling Raindrop

paula
Emily
I can't add much to reviewer Paula's perfect write-up:

"The water cycle! Feelings! Fantastic minimalist illustrations! Suspense... and a happy ending! Say it with me all you teachers and librarians - STO! RY! TIME!!" (Paula)

--though I'd add that it would also make a great one-on-one read, especially to a child with worry or anxiety (I put it on my "tough topics picture books" shelf because I want to include tough feelings, like anxiety, there)

AND

that it would add a nice STEAM element to storytim
Heidi
I believe I ordered this. It sounded familiar when I saw it in our new books. I read it and thought, "Um. OK." Then I read the author bio and thought, "Oh! I get it." I think preschoolers might enjoy the "intensity" that could come from seeing what will happen. And it can be considered one of the quicker reads.

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 I used this as a filler at the end of both days, since there was time and I thought I'd try it. It wasn't that great. Not awful. But the larger crowd seemed to get a
Sarah Sammis
The Falling Raindrop by Neil Johnson was Harriet's library choice when she was learning about weather at her preschool.

The cover features an inviting, minimalist sketch of an anthropomorphized raindrop streaking downwards on a diagonal. Most of the book is just that, the single raindrop falling and thinking about things on the way down.

The raindrop about midway through the book starts to fear for the worst. When the raindrop started to get afraid, so did Harriet. When the approaching ground beco
Jackie
A gentle story which introduces a young child to the water cycle. As clouds gather and a storm forms, a raindrop is born. Gleefully happy that he is flying through the air, he is just about as happy as any raindrop can be. Then, however he realizes he may be falling instead of flying, and crashes into a campfire. The little raindrop becomes of wisp of steam, and rises, rises, rises, to join the clouds again...and someday turn into a falling raindrop once more.

The Falling Raindrop explains in si
Kristin
Positively reviewed. (www.denverlibrary.org, http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/di...)

A raindrop is traced through the water cycle as its journey begins with a thundercloud and ends with steam from a campfire. This depiction of the water cycle comes with the added message that the author and illustrator hope to convey: that life is short and should be lived without worry. Young readers can easily follow and understand the raindrop's journey, which has as much to do with life and death as it does
Mary
Very simple explanation of at least part of the water cycle with adorable illustrations that would be very appealing to children :)
Cute book about both the water cycle and also about not being so afraid in life that you miss out on things. I wish the illustrations had been a little larger or had a little more to them. The little raindrop is often the only thing on the page and he's so tiny some pages are 95% blank.
Really cute, short, and simple. And a good message. Read it at story time this morning to nine kids and six adults.
Dolly
May 15, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is a simple tale, but with a deep underlying meaning that is very philosophical. Younger children may not see the many layers, but they will understand the simple science lesson about raindrops falling out of the sky. As a parent, I could appreciate the lesson on taking chances and embracing changes without fear, of appreciating the now.
Carin Paige
This is the story of a raindrop as he is falling from a cloud and how he accepts his impending doom. This is great for making predictions and is an amazing example of voice. The book is great because it it only one character, but the writing allows for expressive reading. Perfect for read-alouds
Wendy
I would add this to any library collection for the dual value it offers readers. The cartoon like, simple illustrations do a first rate job of teaching the water cycle, while at the same the raindrops's fear teaches the reader how to have self confidence. That's a lot for one little raindrop.
Emily Murphy
I liked that this story was about two concepts, the cycle of water and the progression of life and how that might feel for someone. I personally think about how quick of lives are compared to the grad scheme of life. The raindrop had another chance at enjoying his fall.
Vicki
This worked really well with slightly older kids, and the illustrations are great for the kids -- not too much overload, but just enough for them to sort of latch on to and think about. It worked great with the rhyme "Rain is Falling Down".
Marcie
Dec 01, 2010 Marcie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Kristin's book log
This is an easy book that is a fathers answer to his sons question during a rainstorm. He asked if raindrops were scared too. Also provides an introduction to the water cycle. I liked it, but the illustrations left me flat.
Krupal Morjaria
This story takes us on an adventure and introduces us to a raindrop who is new to the world and doesn't know how to handle its destiny. The illustrations and words in the story truly make it exciting to read.
Angelina Justice
This book is a great read aloud about part of the water cycle and also addresses apprehension often found in young children and their relief when everything turns out okay.
Marie
Simple, but profound. Could be used with children with anxieties or to begin a discussion about death. Or could just be enjoyed as a story about a rain drop!
Caren
Loved it! One of my favorite picture books of the year. I was so excited when I found it, I could hardly wait to go up and pay for it.
Whitney Peck
A cute and simple childrens book with minimal yet impactful cartoon imagery while being educational about the life of a raindrop :)
Susan
Sep 05, 2013 Susan added it
Helps kids see it's better to enjoy life than fear it.
Lynn
An interesting way to talk about the water cycle.
Alicia
Stunning simplicity.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Simply Complexity: A Clear Guide to Complexity Theory National Geographic Photography Guide For Kids The Battle Of Lexington And Concord A Field of Sunflowers Big Top Circus