Start by marking “Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures, #10)” as Want to Read:
Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures, #10)

Invasion (Kydd Sea Adventures #10)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  302 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
In the10th book of the popular series, rumors fly of Napoleon’s planned invasion of England, and British naval commander Thomas Kydd is sent to liaise with American inventor, Robert Fulton,who has created “infernal machines” that can wreak mass destruction from a distance. Fulton believes that his inventions, namely the submarine and torpedo, will win the day for the power ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by McBooks Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invasion

Michael K.
Nov 14, 2014 Michael K. rated it it was ok
It’s early in 1805 and Commander Thomas Kydd, now a seasoned commanding officer under fire, has regained his job and his ship in this tenth installment in the series (roughly the halfway point, from what the author says), and is sent to join Admiral Keith’s squadron in the Downs off the southeast corner of Britain. Napoleon is busily preparing his invasion forces and the Downs Squadron -- whose ships are mostly too old or too small -- is doing its best to disrupt French activities. The set-piece ...more
Jim
Mar 23, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
This, the 10th novel in the Kydd sea adventure series, covers the period when Napoleon put together his plans for the invasion of the English isles. At Boulogne, Napoleon gathered a fleet of 2,000 landing craft and an army of 100,000 soldiers to effect his conquering of England.

Kydd remains captain of HMS Teazer and is involved in various fleet actions designed to bottle up the French landing craft and prevent their deployment.

Renzi finds himself on a diplomatic mission to Paris to seek an exch
D.w.
Sep 19, 2010 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Nautical Fiction and especially the era of the Age of Sail, or the Napoleonic wars has long been a genre that has had many writers create long, well thought out series. Patrick O'Brian and and CS Forester are among the most well known. Julian Stockwin has his tenth adventure of Thomas Kydd, once a seaman but has passed through the ranks to become an officer.

That has set up problems before for our hero, for he does not speak like the gentry and despite thinking that he should, he constantly rever
Robin Carter
May 05, 2012 Robin Carter rated it really liked it
Book 10 (WOW...what a milestone) in a long running series that just seems to get better and better the characters keep growning and flowing with their ever expanding plot lines and movement into the ever larger arena of their times, as they and their careers / fortunes grow so do the scale and power of the troubles they encounter. The whole story and leaves the reader with a shanty lilt to their speech and a roll to their gait.

This is a book where i think we start to see a lead up to climactic b
Seth Shaw
Oct 22, 2009 Seth Shaw rated it really liked it
Commander Kydd, along with is ship's clerk and good friend Mr. Renzi issue forth on some new adventures. Being new to the series the first chapter was rather confusing and seemed more to resolve what appeared to be loose ends of a previous tale and simply work to get Kydd back in command of HMS Teazer. The first quarter of the tale deals mostly with transition and change for Kydd and the crew ending with a reassignment to the forefront of the fight with Napoleon's fleet. The second quarter deals ...more
Jeremy Poole
Apr 12, 2012 Jeremy Poole rated it liked it
When this book arrived through my door, my wife commented “You’ll like that, an historical novel”. Well normally she’s right(In everything). This time she wasn’t completely right.
This is the tenth in the Kydd serious of adventures, and perhaps this is my problem, I haven’t read the other nine. However a good book should be able to stand on its own two feet. This one does up to a point, it is historically very correct and well researched, the story is well told and the characters are believable.
Julia
Oct 17, 2009 Julia rated it it was ok
I wish I could have given this one and a half stars.

This book ought to have been my thing, but was not. I like the Sharpe books, the Horatio Hornblower series, Star Trek, (Kirk can be very similar to the Forrester's main character.) I also like Naomi Novik’s series about a Navy man who becomes the partner of a dragon, during the Napoleonic Wars, the Temeraire series.

But this, at least in the first 50 pages, had no characters to latch onto. No characters who jumped off the page and compelled me
Stephen Dawson
May 03, 2015 Stephen Dawson rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Continuing the return to form begun in the previous book, this is another strong showing, with an interesting melding of the story of Robert Fulton, inventor of the first practical submarine and early mines (called by him 'torpedoes'). Next please!
W. Nicol
Jul 24, 2014 W. Nicol rated it really liked it
I particularly like how Kydd is a constantly evolving character as well as being the device, along with his friend Renzi, to display the bywaters of the period. Excellently researched.
Bob
Dec 29, 2009 Bob rated it liked it
This is my 10th "Kydd Sea Adventure" book. I am very much a Stockwin fan and have given 4 stars to all 9 previous books. I enjoyed this series as much as I did the Patrick O'Brian’s Aubrey books. They are different, but still good solid 18th century sea stories. In my opinion, this book rates only 3 (or maybe even 2) stars because Stockwin moves away from “18th century sea stories” to more political intrigue and spy-versus-spy stories (which to me just was not as interesting). Hope his next effo ...more
Clint Flatt
This is my first book from the early reviewers and I got it on my first try. With that said it is the 10th book in a series so I came into the series with no knowledge of the past stories. However I was able to pick with the main characters and enjoy the book and it's historical fiction of which I am a big fan. An easy read with a good pace I was able to complete it before the release date which was my goal. I am now interested in catching up with the series and looking forward to the next adven ...more
Charlie Shaw
Very good
joe
Feb 23, 2014 joe rated it liked it
This is one of the better series regarding the Neapolitanic war era and the British Navey and especially the Kydd character. But this is the first book in the series that I grudging read through a part of the book that I couldn't wait till it was over and Kydd could move to the next chapter, I am glad I read it but was disappointed from his previous books. I guess you have to expect that when you have a long series and "keep it going" mentality.
Tará O'Sullivan
I enjoy this series a little bit. I am a huge fan of Alexander Kent and Patrick O'Brian and, to be completely honest, I never felt that Julian Stockwin's novels could hold a candle to either of them. He does, however, take a less technical, less historical approach to the naval fiction genre...And people who don't want to be bogged down with details would get some kicks out of the Kydd adventures.
Duzzlebrarian
Apr 02, 2012 Duzzlebrarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book thinking Want More!
One of the things I like about Kydd as a character, especially in this book, is his openness and his endless curiosity about his world. "I will buy you a beer, if you will sit and tell me what you do for a living." He pushes his nose into things that attract his attention, and so we get to see them through his eyes.
Philip
Sep 30, 2014 Philip rated it did not like it
Looks great from the cover doesn't it ?

It's not.

If you like your Napoleonic sea warfare written in shivermetimbers gobbledegook then this is the book for you.

If you don't, then don't bother.

I didn't.
Gordon Chambers
This is a gripping sea adventure set during the Napoleonic Wars. It is well written, as are all Julia Stockwell's books, and well researched. I was surprised at how enormous the threat of invasion by Napoleon was and how close the British Navy came to defeat.
Oismiffy
May 09, 2013 Oismiffy rated it it was ok
Disappointing.
I'm a big fan of the Kydd series but this is really slow going in comparison with other instalments.

The beginning and end are OK, but otherwise it stumbles along and provides very little.
stan
Apr 15, 2010 stan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a fan of Julian Stockwin. but the last novel Invasion did not do it for me. Very average. The plot in my opinion did not start until chapter12.
Vivyenne
My least favorite of the series so far... I just couldn't get myself interested in the torpedos.
Jim Hunter
Dec 21, 2009 Jim Hunter rated it it was ok
He ain't Patrick O'Brian
PETEY!!!!!
PETEY!!!!! rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Joseph
Joseph added it
Jun 22, 2016
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
James Dawe
James Dawe marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Mark Harrison
Mark Harrison rated it it was ok
Jun 07, 2016
Devin
Devin rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Lanny Vogel
Lanny Vogel rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Andrew Wills
Andrew Wills rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Pol Wulky
Pol Wulky rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
  • A Battle Won (Charles Hayden, #2)
  • By the Mast Divided (John Pearce, #1)
  • Band of Brothers (Richard Bolitho, #3)
  • Sea of Grey (Alan Lewrie, #10)
  • The Winds of Folly (Nathan Peake, #4)
  • Ramage & the Freebooters (The Lord Ramage Novels, #3)
Julian Stockwin was sent at the age of fourteen to Indefatigable, a tough sea-training school. He joined the Royal Navy at fifteen. He now lives in Devon with his wife Kathy. Julian has written 17 books to date in the Kydd series of historical adventure fiction, the story of one man's journey from pressed man to admiral in the age of fighting sail, and a non-fiction book, 'Stockwin's Maritime Misc ...more
More about Julian Stockwin...

Kydd Sea Adventures (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Kydd (Kydd Sea Adventures, #1)
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Seaflower (Kydd Sea Adventures, #3)
  • Mutiny (Kydd Sea Adventures, #4)
  • Quarterdeck (Kydd Sea Adventures, #5)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Command (Kydd Sea Adventures, #7)
  • The Admiral's Daughter (Kydd Sea Adventures, #8)
  • The Privateer's Revenge (Kydd Sea Adventures, #9)
  • Victory (Kydd Sea Adventures, #11)