Start by marking “A Simple Habana Melody” as Want to Read:
A Simple Habana Melody

A Simple Habana Melody

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  304 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews

The Barnes & Noble Review

With an uncanny understanding of the intricacies of the human spirit, Oscar Hijuelos -- Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love -- creates beautifully flawed, emotionally fragmented characters who are at once passionate and sexless, impenetrable and vulnerable, godlike and meaningless. Hijuelos's melancholic, multila

Published June 28th 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Habana Melody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Habana Melody

David Lentz
Jun 20, 2011 David Lentz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this novel about the musical career of a Cuban composer is itself lyrical. The narrative is prose that aspires to be, and is, both poetry and music. The phrasing and the flow of the syntax is melodious as the composer's experience, because of his name, in a Nazi concentration camp runs counterpoint to the theme. And "Rosas Puras", his most famous and enduring composition, reappears faithfully as a leitmotif throughout the narrative. El Gordito, Israel Levis, and his close relation ...more
Roger DeBlanck
Aug 10, 2015 Roger DeBlanck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
Most of Hijuelos’ novels deal with Cuban immigrants and their process of acculturation in America. In his most interesting work to date, A Simple Habana Melody, he turns to Cuba, the homeland of his heritage, to explore the life of Israel Levis, a gifted and distinguished musician living in Habana (Hijuelos chooses to use the phonetic spelling of “Habana” instead of Havana). The novel begins with Israel’s return voyage home to Habana from Europe after his captivity in the Nazi concentration camp ...more
1.1
Dec 01, 2015 1.1 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Halfway into this novel I was already thinking about the review (I hate this when it happens, but it does) and wondering if two stars was too unfair. At the time I thought so, but somehow I was won over by the final pages, though still not convinced of any inherent greatness. It's a decent piece of fiction, but there are some really flawed and/or plain sections of prose (from a writer who is clearly capable of more) and the story is not entirely there. I don't like prodigies or stories about pro ...more
Nick
May 11, 2011 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is possible that no one admires Oscar Hijuelos' "The Mambo Kings Sing Songs of Love" more than I do. In "Mambo Kings", Hijuelos wrote what is my favorite kind of novel, one that opens up a community with depth and resonance, in which the narrative flows irresistibly. Subsequent efforts, some of them admirably in themselves, haven't measured up. "A Simple Habana Melody" reads almost like Hijuelos' effort to recapture the magic. Again, an aging musician lives in exile, again the haunting melody ...more
Ronald Wise
Aug 12, 2011 Ronald Wise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuban composer Israel Levis writes a simple melody called "Rosas Puras" which becomes world famous. Its fame and royalties allow him to relocate to Europe in time to be arrested in Paris as a Jew — he was a devout Catholic but the Nazis could not see beyond his name. I enjoyed the opportunity to see Cuba from times way before mine, and before my country's obsession with humiliating Castro. To me the simple melody was symbolic of a pure innocent desire, which lingered after all the destruction an ...more
Robyn
Oct 23, 2013 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with previous posters that this book is hella repetitive. Take, for example:

P98: "...in her case it was with the composer of "Rosas Puras", Israel Levis himself, who, ever gentlemanly, to her disbelief, had always been too timidly disposed around her."

P143: "...in her case with the composer of "Rosas Puras", Israel Levis himself, who, to her disappointment, had always been too timidly inclined around her."

That is but one example out of many.

Yet, I did not think this book was boring an
Janice Thompson
Jan 11, 2015 Janice Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not since I read Andre Dubus' "House of Sand and Fog" did I cry so much at the ending of a novel. First rate. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Apr 24, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
v good book reads well plus some added history of early 1920-1940 Cuba and brings in the WW2
Alicia
Jun 27, 2015 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cuba
Not quite as engaging as his other works, but still lyrical writing.
Sue
May 21, 2009 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: international
With a style as lyrical as music itself, Hijuelos explores the depths of longing and loss, and the pinnacles of life and love. Israel Levis, a devout Catholic and successful composer in pre-war Cuba, struggles with the challenges of success, love, and family, survives imprisonment in a Nazi concentration camp, and ultimately finds salvation and peace.
Maria Martinez
I liked the book. The characters were memorable and the description of what the musician went through in Germany during WWII was quite disturbing and impressionable. His description of what happened in Cuba under Machado was accurate in some way and not in others. The book could have been shorter. A little repetitive but I finished it.
Andrea
Jan 17, 2011 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BOOOOOOOOORING. Fiction written like a biography of Cuban composer. Just didn't capture my attention, though the author really tried through a variety of methods including referring WAY too many times to the main character's giant penis and how admired it was by the MANY, many women he took to his bed. Ugh. Not impressed.
Monica
Sep 10, 2007 Monica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: insomniacs
This book is so boring, so annoying. Doesn't go anywhere. I felt like the author had a word quota, so it seemed like he had to keep repeating things. And the story line barely gets anywhere. I stuck it out hoping it would get better. I'm trying to save the rest of humanity from the suffering. Don't bother with this book.
Neil
Aug 03, 2012 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyed it in the end, although it was dull through the middle. It could have been a hundred pages less, some chapters were pointless and added nothing to the story. And seriously, how many times do we need to be told about his giant lad and his attraction to men, I got the point the first time
Becca
May 09, 2012 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becca by: Dad
Sometimes when reading I would get lost and realize that I didn't understand the last few paragraphs - the language was often that flowery. But I enjoyed the story, and wanted so much for this man to finally be happy and be with his love and to find out how he ended up where he did.
Jim
A good story of a Cuban Bachelor pianist and composer who writes a famous song, struggles with his sexuality, is misidentified as a Jew in WWII Paris and is sent to a concentration camp, and his love for two women. Not as good as some of his other books, but a good read.
Debby K
Dec 18, 2012 Debby K rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I agree with many reviewers in that I found this book boring when I read it years ago. I wonder perhaps if I had read it today I might have appreciated it better.

Liked the movie " The Mambo Kings" based on his other book though!
Marvin
Aug 11, 2009 Marvin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It repeats itself endlessly, as a Cuban musician who had traveled to France & been interred in a concentration camp during WWII, reflects on his life after he returns to Cuba. (I gave up after about 100 pages.)
Tami
This was ok. I also read Hijuelos' other stuff, like Mambo Kings, as well as Empress of the Splendid Season. I really really enjoyed reading Empress of the Splendid Season, a great read. This was ok.
Tammy
Mar 22, 2009 Tammy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed taking the journey with the lead character, a Cuban bachelor who worked as a composer. The book follows his lifelong unrequited love affair. Beautifully written.
WhoisSane Khalil
The BEST book I have read in my life. The perfect unfaulable description of the Habana of the past. The family ties, the love and the trials of life.
May 31, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so. boring. I hated the main character, and it seemed to go on about 100 pages too long. I wouldn't recommend at all.
Heep
Jan 18, 2012 Heep rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read but a little slow. "Half-Blood Blues" covers similar themes and time period but is a far more impressive work.
Bonnie
Apr 11, 2009 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Slow, boring, I gave up in the middle, he just wasn't hooking me in. After 140 pages, it was just to repetitive and tepid.
Elisa
May 10, 2012 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've got tears in my eyes in public because I just finished this unbearably beautiful book. It's on my favorites list forever.
Carolyn
Jun 11, 2009 Carolyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Liked the historical context and the character development, but it just wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped.
Rachel Coyne
Jul 31, 2011 Rachel Coyne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
humid, immense, organic at time overwhelming. unfortgettable characters. delighted to have read this.
J
Nov 01, 2010 J rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Liked the style, liked the historical aspect, found it a bit repetitive.
Francine
Jul 23, 2014 Francine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Based on the facts of Moises Simons life. it bothered me
Erin
Feb 11, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Random book I picked up this summer, but really good!
  • Adios Hemingway
  • Caramba!: A Tale Told in Turns of the Card
  • The No World Concerto
  • Tropical Night Falling
  • Paradiso
  • The Agüero Sisters (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
  • Morningside Heights
  • Set the Night on Fire
  • Pocho
  • Peacekeeping
  • Black Shack Alley
Oscar Hijuelos (born August 24, 1951) is an American novelist. He is the first Hispanic to win a Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Hijuelos was born in New York City, in Morningside Heights, Manhattan, to Cuban immigrant parents. He attended the Corpus Christi School, public schools, and later attended Bronx Community College, Lehman College, and Manhattan Community College before matriculating into and
More about Oscar Hijuelos...