Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A gorgeous reimagining of the beloved Christmas poem, set in Africa Since Clement Clarke Moore penned this Christmas classic in 1825, it has been beloved by children around the world. Now, Caldecott Honor winner Rachel Isadora sets the poem in Africa, capturing the anticipation and excitement of Christmas in her stunning collages. Children will pore over the enchanting art ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Christmas

Laurie
Libby
You know the poem, but this one has a black santa :)
Miri
Love this version, with the cut-paper collages and a Santa with dreadlocks. Like I read in a review elsewhere, the African setting doesn't feel forced—it just is what it is. After all, Santa's for all the little girls and boys of the world.
Sam
Apr 29, 2013 Sam rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: ed-310
This book has a minority group as the main characters. Good illustrations and story about Santa and his reindeer delivering toys. I wouldn't put this in my classroom though.
Anna
It is so hard to find quality books that have black Santa's in them! This is my new favorite Christmas Eve read. I love the art work and creative artistry. Absolutely recommend!
Jane
Couldn't resist Santa with dreadlocks. Love Isadora's interpretation of what is usually depicted with such sappy sentimentalism.
I wanted to like this. But the whole thing seems to be set in an African village strangely covered in snow.
Rachel Isadora always does a wonderful job with retelling stories with the setting in Africa.
Athornton
Not the actual version of this book that I read but who cares, it's a Christmas tale!
Jodie
African influence in this version of the story. Bright illustrations.
Megan
Nice traditional poem featuring African-American characters.
Lex
My students love this twist on the traditional poem!
Marcus
Check out all of Rachel Isadora's works.
Lovely illustrations.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Pink
Pink marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Rumy Ngan
Rumy Ngan marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Amaia
Amaia marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Laray
Laray marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Karma
Karma added it
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachel Isadora is an award-winning children's author and illustrator. She has written children's books on multiple topics including ballet, life in America and Africa, and has illustrated several Brother Grimm tales in an African setting. She is most well-known for her Caldecott Honor Award book "Ben's Trumpet". She was a ballet dancer before she became an illustrator and children's writer.
More about Rachel Isadora...
Ben's Trumpet Say Hello! Peekaboo Morning Old Mikamba Had a Farm There Was a Tree