Start by marking “Collected Tales and Poems” as Want to Read:
Collected Tales and Poems

Edgar Allan Poe

Collected Tales and Poems

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Thirteen classic tales and poems by the master of the macabre are collection in this anthology, including The Raven and The Murders in the Rue Morgue. Also includes a snap-in-place model of a pendulum, modeled after The Pit and the Pendulum. Consumable.

To ask other readers questions about Collected Tales and Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Tales and Poems

Tom
Jan 05, 2009 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Collected Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe is a compilation of 66 short stories and some 50 poems. I seldom start a book that I don’t finish but continued reading was too oppressive…..

Eagerly I wished the morrow; and hope to end my borrowed sorrow
Eventually my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
For the fact that I was napping in the throes of boring sagas
Gave me cause to cease my reading of this author’s dismal stories
Alas, I felt my mood improving as I discontinued reading
Then
Dani
I had already read and reviewed the tales of Edgar Allan Poe. Thus I will talk about the poems mostly.

I always prejudged Poe as a poet. I thought he was better at poetic prose, but after reading all of his poems, I must say he is equally brilliant at writing poems and twisted stories.

I love this man and I believe he is the precursor of mostly all the genres of literature (detective stories, satires, horror tales, adventure stories, romance, etc) His work is unimpeachable.

Through his poems, we se
Oct 05, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Poe is a masterful poet and storyteller. It's no wonder he is considered a master of horror, inspired later science-fiction writers and is credited with being the father of the detective/ mystery genre. With that said, I loved many of his stories, particularly "The Black Cat," "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "Berenice" and "Ligea," and as far as poetry, "The Raven" always stands out to me as one of the best poems written to date. Overall, however, I grew tired of the collectio ...more
Kelsey
May 12, 2015 Kelsey marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I bought this from Costco the other day as it seemed like a real bargain! I've since read a couple of reviews online and some people said this particular copy contains typos and the dye comes off. Anyone had experience of this with the copy in the picture?
J.L. McFadden
Dec 02, 2013 J.L. McFadden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For myself,Poe had been one of my all time favorites since before I was a teen. "The Pit and the Pendulum" is still to this day one of my favorites.

Poe's dark and twisted imagination is only enhanced in this marvelously illustrated edition of his collection; inside the graphic stories are graphically represented by the artists who loved Poe. His stories to this day still entertainingly enticing.

Though be a warning to all, this is a full collection that even those of the highest constitution wi
نزار شهاب الدين
I'm still reading this book, however, I have a lot to say already. Let me start by saying that every story presents a wonderful blend of novelty, eloquence, and genius. The poetry is very good as well. As for detective stories, I can clearly see the roots of Sherlock Holmes in Auguste Dupin.

Poe's knowledge seems to have been wide, he talks of and employs philosophy, mathematics, and physics, and other sciences quite knowledgeably.
Deb
Oct 12, 2009 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poe fans
Shelves: did-not-finish
I love Poe - he's a brilliant genius - but yeesh, I find him hard to read. I did read the poetry section of this book in full; wanted to read the stories (Poe's tales are so often referenced), but I couldn't hang! :(

The library edition that I read is a big, gorgeous book - one you'd want to own. Divided into sections of story types, and a poetry section.
Emily
Jan 03, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, anthology, mix
just to start off, this is not the complete collection, just a comprehensive collection, which I should have paid more attention to.
that being said, it is a good edition of his work. the illustrations work well with the stories/poems and it is not so clustered for the most part as to make it frustrating to read (which most big editions like this are).
Dale R Long
Jul 16, 2013 Dale R Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I Absolutely love this style of book. Reminiscent of the old Encyclopedias.

I would have liked some illustrations, especially the more vintage ones, but it looks great on the bookshelf.

Yes the content has been done before, over and over again, but one can never have enough Poe.
Hayley
Mar 02, 2014 Hayley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poe is masterful and imaginative, whether it's dark and Gothic or adventurous and fanciful. I really enjoyed the tale of Arthur Pym, and as always, loved rereading those spooky tales: Black Cat, Tale-tell heart, Pit and the Pendulum, Cask...etc... Always fun to jump in!
Gabrielle
Each story or poem has the same feel, but brings up different feelings and points. Edgar Allen Poe had a mind like no one else and he used it to gift us these unisual, but amazing collection.
Sad Face
Jan 19, 2010 Sad Face rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome stuff.

The Cask of Amontillado is my favourite story by Poe.

Read a few of his pieces and see what you think, they're really not long.
Celeste Batchelor
I think Edgar Allan Poe was a very demented author. I don't know if I can stomach any more of his horrors and mysteries.
Krista
Nov 24, 2009 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
This book sits next to my bed within easy reach because, every now and again, I need a little Poe in my life.
Melissa
Jun 13, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite stories and poems:
A Dream Within a Dream
Annabelle Lee
The Black Cat
The Tell-Tale Heart
Ahmed Xahabi
"so sweet the hour, so calm the time
i feel it more than half the crime"

Serenade
Evan Saucier
Jul 03, 2008 Evan Saucier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only question is whether he's better or as-good as Borges.
lita
Dec 29, 2010 lita marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
hasil hunting di periplus. dapet setengah harga euy
Rose Crist
Rose Crist marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Chris Rei
Chris Rei rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Mats
Mats rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Roshni
Roshni rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Stephanie Concordia
Stephanie Concordia marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Robins Zorn
Robins Zorn marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Andreea Mihaela
Andreea Mihaela marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Sean D.
Sean D. marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Ellika
Ellika marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and Other Stories
  • Jules Verne
  • The Collected Works of Oscar Wilde
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button And Other Stories
  • John Keats: Selected Poems (Penguin Classics: Poetry)
  • W.B. Yeats: Poems Selected by Seamus Heaney
  • The Brothers Grimm Volume 2: 110 Grimmer Fairy Tales
  • The Black Hope Horror: The True Story of a Haunting
  • The Norton Shakespeare, Based on the Oxford Edition: Tragedies
  • The Turn of the Screw/Daisy Miller
  • Mary Modern
  • Fairy Tales and the Art of Subversion: The Classical Genre for Children and the Process of Civilization
  • The Tao of Watercolor: A Revolutionary Approach to the Practice of Painting
  • Pieces of a Song: Selected Poems
  • The William Carlos Williams Reader
  • Eight American Poets: An Anthology
  • The Mysterious Stranger and Other Stories
  • Bedtime Stories
More about Edgar Allan Poe...