Start by marking “The Disciplined Life: Studies in the Fine Art of Christian Discipline” as Want to Read:
The Disciplined Life: Studies in the Fine Art of Christian Discipline

The Disciplined Life: Studies in the Fine Art of Christian Discipline

With bold, deft strokes, Dr. Richard S. Taylor penetrates the shallowness of our culture and lays bare the dire need for disciplined living.
Published January 1st 1962 by Beacon Hill Press of Kansas City

To ask other readers questions about The Disciplined Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Disciplined Life

Havebooks Willread
Well, this book stepped all over my toes! Taylor holds nothing back in this short little book exhorting the christian to live a disciplined life in every area, from controlling moods and emotions, to speech and gluttony, and even avoiding procrastination and honoring time commitments. (!!!!!)

"none can qualify for the high rating of a truly disciplined character whose tongue is not restrained by the bridle of prudence and directed by the reins of love" (39).

"When students glibly cast off their t
Keith Slade
Inspiring book I read when I was in college and trying to get myself organized and to quit wasting so much time. Shows the importance of being disciplined in order to be a good tool in the Christian cause.
David Lysenko
Excellent book. It's got a lot of ideas missing from today's society. I recommend it to anyone interested in improving the quality of life.
Ed Washington
Jan 31, 2015 Ed Washington rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't write a book about the mark of Christian Maturity and use scriptures incorrectly. He talks about breaking your fast to appease family. And that it is okay for married couples to not have sex, instead they must find new ways to deepen their relationship to not give in to their impulse of cheating. - The Bible clearly states that wives submit to their husbands. And that the wife's body is not her own in marriage. And for the husband to love his wife as Christ loved the church, which is to di ...more
Sarah Ward
Jun 30, 2009 Sarah Ward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every christian
Recommended to Sarah by: I found this in a pile of old books my mother had :)
I've just finished part one of the book : "The Place of Discipline in Christian Living" and so far have been very impressed with the authors presentation of the role of discipline in the physical and spiritual life of a person. R.S. Taylor presents discipline as the key to power and the truest mark of maturity. He explores the results of discipline working on the appetites, emotions, moods, speech, priorities and submission to authority. He follows with a few chapters on the dangers of extreme " ...more
Tracy Groot
Aug 06, 2013 Tracy Groot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My, what a potent little book and yes, it's dated--written to a 1960s world--but the message isn't. I think what I liked best isn't Taylor's message on what discipline is, but what it isn't: "We have mistakenly labored under the delusion that holiness is the fruition of discipline." Or this: "It is a mistake to suppose that disciplined living is entirely a matter of rigid rule, routine, and habit; or that its highest exhibition is in being able to determine a course of action for the day and the ...more
Marc Hutchison
Sep 25, 2015 Marc Hutchison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered this fine little book in college in a class taught by Stephen Covey about 40 years ago. It was originally published in 1962, but it's message is more needed than ever. The fruits of undisciplined living are the problems of our times. I recommend this book very highly.
Luke
Nov 23, 2015 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This is an extremely good book. Contains very practical suggestions for becoming a more disciplined person. One of my favorite books right now. I checked it out from the library, but I definitely will buy it to add to my personal shelf.
Molly D
Although a bit outdated, the author did make several good points.
Bethany
I love this book! In fact, it is a "tradition" for me that I read it every year at the beginning of the year. It is the first book I read the first of each year. This is because it sets the tone for my year - to be focused, disciplined, growing,...

As best as I can recollect, this is the seventh year in a row that it has been my first book read of the year. I know I have read it before then but can't recollect the year.
Leah
Jun 18, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
So I thought this was a good book.
Mr. Taylor really does a great job of discussing discipline and how to become a disciplined person.
I recommend this book to anyone that wants to become a little more disciplined.
M
Sep 02, 2009 M rated it it was ok
The illustrations are all woefully out-of-date, but the basic teachings are sound and somewhat helpful. Perhaps the cover shown here is from an updated edition; the one I read was published in 1962.
Nancy Moffett
Aug 08, 2011 Nancy Moffett rated it liked it
Dated but not totally without merit. He encourages participation in fine arts, good manners, excellence in all endeavors as a Christian responsibility. Doesn't like rock music, tho!
Laura Simons-luke
Oh my! A book every Christian, every parent, every person should read. This book was written in 1962 and is more relevant today than it was then.
Carolyn Rico
Dec 27, 2008 Carolyn Rico is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am on my 3rd reading of this book. Hopefully it will begin to sink in.
Tim
Jun 23, 2009 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Tim by: Bob Jones University
A great challenge to discipline yourself to do right for the right reasons.
Kailey
Sep 12, 2015 Kailey rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Made me serious about life.
Juan Abad
Juan Abad is currently reading it
Sep 19, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Seighmy
Seighmy marked it as to-read
Derek Altom
Derek Altom is currently reading it
Jarrett Clay
Jarrett Clay marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Emy
Emy marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Ann Manet
Ann Manet is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Tammy
Tammy is currently reading it
Aug 15, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Shawn Berteig
Shawn Berteig rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Beth Mause
Beth Mause marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
E. Thomas Anderson
E. Thomas Anderson marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • The Seven Laws of the Learner: How to Teach Almost Anything to Practically Anyone
  • The Overcoming Life
  • Ministry in the Image of God: The Trinitarian Shape of Christian Service
  • Metaphysics
  • An Introduction to the New Testament: Contexts, Methods & Ministry Formation
  • Sustainable Youth Ministry: Why Most Youth Ministry Doesn't Last and What Your Church Can Do about It
  • Our Sufficiency in Christ