Start by marking “Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick” as Want to Read:
Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick

Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick (Mouse Books)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  344 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
One peppermint stick.
Two sisters.
See sibling rivalry
turn to sweet solidarity.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published August 7th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussAre You My Mother? by P.D. EastmanOne Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Best books for remembering childhood
75th out of 118 books — 36 voters
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesChrysanthemum by Kevin HenkesChester's Way by Kevin HenkesMy Garden by Kevin HenkesLittle White Rabbit by Kevin Henkes
Best of Kevin Henkes
19th out of 73 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

babyhippoface
Feb 18, 2010 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
I love Louise. She makes me smile.

This week I used this little board book to help 4th graders better understand the elements of plot: rising action, climax, and resolution. Takes less than one minute to read, and they get it.
Jackie
Apr 28, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
Sheila Rae has a peppermint stick...her sister Louise wants some, too. Sheila Rae teases her and asks her to do the impossible in order to get one lick. HA! The last laugh is on Sheila Rae, though, when her taunting backfires. A humormouse story of sibling rivilry.

Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 2001

Genre: Fiction, board book

Awards won: ABC Children's Booksellers Choices Award, 2002 Winner Babies and Toddlers United States

Themes: sharing, sisters

Annotation: Shelia Rae has a peppermint stick that she does not want to share with her younger sister. In the end, Shelia drops the peppermint stick, and it breaks in two. She then shares it with her sister.

Ways to use the book with children: discussions about sharing
Erin
Jun 04, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents and grandparents of small children
Great little book about an older sister who doesn't want to share with her younger sister. The illustrations really tell this story and convey Sheila Rae & Louise's feelings better than words could ever do. The last page, however, I often skip when reading to my daughter because it seems like it was tacked on to appease parents, and I don't find it believable. Too saccharine.
Kirsten Mellin
Sep 23, 2014 Kirsten Mellin rated it really liked it
I like that this book has excellent descriptive words. Plus it is a fun way for children to learn about being kind. I also really like how almost ironic it is that Sheila happened to say if there were two Louise could have one. I would say this is a very fun short easy to read book, but it isn't really a favorite or anything.
Elizabeth Lee
Feb 28, 2014 Elizabeth Lee rated it it was amazing
This is a nice picture book for children! It is about Sheila Rae, who has a peppermint stick, and her sister who wants some of it. I enjoyed the illustrations. They are very cute. I loved this book so much I even named my dog Sheila Rae!
T.E. Antonino
Aug 21, 2015 T.E. Antonino rated it it was amazing
A wonderful crafted book about sharing. Even the little ones can understand the books message. It's a cute little book for very young children.
Sarah Law
Jan 24, 2014 Sarah Law rated it really liked it
My daughter and son both love this book. Ages 2 and 3. I think it's a great book to teach sharing and the things that older siblings will make their younger siblings go through to get things sometimes.
jacky
Dec 07, 2012 jacky rated it liked it
This is a cute series by Kevin Henkes; for several holidays, there is a book based around an appropriate treat. This one is about a peppermint stick, which I would guess is Christmas. What is fun about the stories is that even though they each feature the treat, they are not cookie cutter. Each one has a unique story with developed characters from Henkes picture books. I loved how we see Shelia Rae being mean to her sister (at least Natalie and I decided they were sisters) in such a calculating ...more
Keshia
Jan 28, 2015 Keshia rated it liked it
cute, in a sassy sister kind of way.
Cheyenne
Jun 28, 2014 Cheyenne rated it liked it
Sheila Rae learns to share.
Josiah
Nov 03, 2009 Josiah rated it did not like it
I would definitely increase my rating of this book to one and a half stars.
The simple story is as fun and well-written as any of the others in this mini-series of board books that are based on the main characters in the acclaimed picture books of Kevin Henkes. The use of bright, pleasing colors is really something, as impressive to see as it was in Kevin Henkes's A Good Day. I really liked reading through this story.
Vivian
Feb 16, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Valentine's is about CANDY, so we began today's program with this "sweet" book. There were two story performers so one took the voice of big sister Sheila Rae and the other took the voice of little sister Louise. The performers also alternated voices on longer descriptive pages.

Voice one: Sheila Rae had a peppermint stick.
Voice two: It was long.
Voice one: And striped.
Voice two: And thin.
Voice one: And sweet.
Matthew
Aug 27, 2015 Matthew rated it liked it
For a board book, this one was highly engaging. Sheila Rae learns that she must share, but not before taunting her sister with the peppermint stick. When it breaks in two, she finally shares with her. She's kind of sweet, but not too sweet. Still, the book is well done. It's a good read for younger readers.
Ashleycarolhall O'Toole
Feb 19, 2012 Ashleycarolhall O'Toole rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. Sheila Rae is singing and dancing and basically taunting her sister with some candy! And you'll never guess what happens!
Anna
Mar 16, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great book--great justice tale. Loved by my 4 year old grandson from baby age onwards. We had the board book copy.
Sarah Kramer
Jun 20, 2007 Sarah Kramer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: storytime-books
Good sibling story as well as sharing. Short enough story for young toddlers.
Rachael
Dec 11, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is one of Bennett's very favorite- really cute!
Jim
Nov 26, 2011 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
cute art, good book about sharing and siblings
Flora
Aug 08, 2007 Flora rated it it was amazing
"Stick!"
Bob Wu
Bob Wu marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
Christa Norman
Christa Norman marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Brin
Brin rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Lindsay Yanoff
Lindsay Yanoff rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Megan Garbe
Megan Garbe rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior
  • My Car
  • Who Said Moo?
  • If You're Hoppy
  • Feet Are Not for Kicking (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior Series)
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • I Love Bugs!
  • White on Black
  • Potty
  • The Cheerios Play Book
  • The Day the Goose Got Loose
  • Tom
  • Timothy Goes to School
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell