Start by marking “Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick” as Want to Read:
Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick

Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick (Mouse Books)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  18 reviews
One peppermint stick.
Two sisters.
See sibling rivalry
turn to sweet solidarity.
Board Book, 24 pages
Published August 7th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheila Rae's Peppermint Stick

Jackie
Sheila Rae has a peppermint stick...her sister Louise wants some, too. Sheila Rae teases her and asks her to do the impossible in order to get one lick. HA! The last laugh is on Sheila Rae, though, when her taunting backfires. A humormouse story of sibling rivilry.

babyhippoface
I love Louise. She makes me smile.

This week I used this little board book to help 4th graders better understand the elements of plot: rising action, climax, and resolution. Takes less than one minute to read, and they get it.
Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 2001

Genre: Fiction, board book

Awards won: ABC Children's Booksellers Choices Award, 2002 Winner Babies and Toddlers United States

Themes: sharing, sisters

Annotation: Shelia Rae has a peppermint stick that she does not want to share with her younger sister. In the end, Shelia drops the peppermint stick, and it breaks in two. She then shares it with her sister.

Ways to use the book with children: discussions about sharing
Erin
Jun 04, 2014 Erin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and grandparents of small children
Great little book about an older sister who doesn't want to share with her younger sister. The illustrations really tell this story and convey Sheila Rae & Louise's feelings better than words could ever do. The last page, however, I often skip when reading to my daughter because it seems like it was tacked on to appease parents, and I don't find it believable. Too saccharine.
Kirsten Mellin
I like that this book has excellent descriptive words. Plus it is a fun way for children to learn about being kind. I also really like how almost ironic it is that Sheila happened to say if there were two Louise could have one. I would say this is a very fun short easy to read book, but it isn't really a favorite or anything.
Elizabeth Lee
This is a nice picture book for children! It is about Sheila Rae, who has a peppermint stick, and her sister who wants some of it. I enjoyed the illustrations. They are very cute. I loved this book so much I even named my dog Sheila Rae!
Sarah Law
My daughter and son both love this book. Ages 2 and 3. I think it's a great book to teach sharing and the things that older siblings will make their younger siblings go through to get things sometimes.
jacky
This is a cute series by Kevin Henkes; for several holidays, there is a book based around an appropriate treat. This one is about a peppermint stick, which I would guess is Christmas. What is fun about the stories is that even though they each feature the treat, they are not cookie cutter. Each one has a unique story with developed characters from Henkes picture books. I loved how we see Shelia Rae being mean to her sister (at least Natalie and I decided they were sisters) in such a calculating ...more
Cheyenne
Sheila Rae learns to share.
Josiah
I would definitely increase my rating of this book to one and a half stars.
The simple story is as fun and well-written as any of the others in this mini-series of board books that are based on the main characters in the acclaimed picture books of Kevin Henkes. The use of bright, pleasing colors is really something, as impressive to see as it was in Kevin Henkes's A Good Day. I really liked reading through this story.
Vivian
Valentine's is about CANDY, so we began today's program with this "sweet" book. There were two story performers so one took the voice of big sister Sheila Rae and the other took the voice of little sister Louise. The performers also alternated voices on longer descriptive pages.

Voice one: Sheila Rae had a peppermint stick.
Voice two: It was long.
Voice one: And striped.
Voice two: And thin.
Voice one: And sweet.
Cheryl
Concise - effectively and entertainingly gets the theme of 'either share or get your come-uppance' across in fewer words that it's taking me to write this review. Funny, cute, and, yes, sweet. I will look for more stories about Sheila Rae and Louise.
Ashleycarolhall O'Toole
I LOVE this book. Sheila Rae is singing and dancing and basically taunting her sister with some candy! And you'll never guess what happens!
Anna
Great book--great justice tale. Loved by my 4 year old grandson from baby age onwards. We had the board book copy.
Sarah Kramer
Jun 20, 2007 Sarah Kramer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: storytime-books
Good sibling story as well as sharing. Short enough story for young toddlers.
Rachael
This is one of Bennett's very favorite- really cute!
Jim
cute art, good book about sharing and siblings
Lily
Lily added it
Jan 25, 2015
Ruby
Ruby marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
  • Mother, Mother, I Want Another
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • My Car
  • I Love Bugs!
  • Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)
  • White on Black
  • Tom
  • Read to Your Bunny
  • First Book of Sushi
  • Trashy Town
Kevin Henkes became an author/illustrator when he was nineteen years old, working on a card table in his bedroom.
Today he's the author of many award-winning picture books and novels.
More about Kevin Henkes...

Mouse Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • A Weekend with Wendell
  • Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse
  • Wemberly Worried
  • Lilly's Big Day
  • Penny and Her Doll
Chrysanthemum Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse Kitten's First Full Moon Owen Wemberly Worried