Start by marking “The Generals (Revolution, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Generals (Revolution, #2)

The Generals (Revolution Quartet #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,139 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The second in this epic quartet of novels focusing on two giants of European history, Wellington and Napoleon

It's 1796 as THE GENERALS opens, and both Arthur Wellesly (later Wellington) and Napoleon Bonaparte are making their mark as men of military genius. Wellesley, as commander of the 33rd Regiment of Foot, is sent to India, where his skill and bravery make a remarkable
Paperback
Published May 31st 2007 by Headline Review

To ask other readers questions about The Generals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generals

Sharpe's Tiger by Bernard CornwellSharpe's Eagle by Bernard CornwellSharpe's Havoc by Bernard CornwellLiberty or Death by David        CookMarksman by David        Cook
Napoleonic Wars (Historical Fiction)
62nd out of 85 books — 58 voters
Taking Chances by Christina PaulMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasMr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. ForesterLiberty or Death by David        Cook
Napoleonic War fiction
71st out of 98 books — 116 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather
Jan 24, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
I'm glad I read it, only because of what I learned about Napoleon and Wellington - but I did find myself skimming over many pages at a time because the author is obviously far more interested in the details of 18/19th century warfare than I am (the battle scenes, of which there were many, were described in minute detail).
Redfox5
This book follows on where 'Young Bloods' left off. Wellington has much more action and excitment than in the last book but unfortunately still falls short of whats happening in Napoleon's life and I enjoyed the latters chapters much more. This book was also lacking in the more personal touch, there are lots of battles. I know this happened and their were lots of battles but there are only so many times the same thing happening can keep my interest. I found most of the battle scenes dull. I was ...more
Jun 28, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Scarrow's series documenting the lives of Napoleon and Wellington side by side. This deals with them as young men, after their first tastes of battle as they struggle to climb their way up the ranks. Although not as enthralling as the first book it is still an excellent read. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with an interest in this period of history.
Steve Smy
Jan 30, 2013 Steve Smy rated it it was amazing
First of all, this is not a book review. Since childhood, I've been fascinated by the Napoleonic Era. It seemed logical, therefore, for me to read this series of books by Scarrow, Simon, which is about two of the most important figures of that time - Napoleon and Sir Arthur Wellesley (later the Duke of Wellington). It was with some surprise, then, that I found myself being drawn more into Wellesley's history in India.

The Generals (Revolution, #2) by Simon Scarrow I confess that my knowledge of Wellesley's early years is sadly lacking. I wa
George
Jun 05, 2012 George added it
The book The Generals by Simon Scarrow is an amazing non-fiction story about two brave, ambitious and fearless leaders; Napoleon and Wellington. This is the second book in the Revolution series and comes after young bloods.

My favorite part in the book is Napoleon's campaign in Italy and how he was able to lead an army without proper supplies or equipment. The campaign in Italy was just after the French revolution and all of France's supplies had been drained. It wasn’t a surprise when Napoleon s
Iceman
Dec 30, 2012 Iceman rated it liked it
“Os Generais” é o 2º volume de uma série de quatro que se inicia com o já publicado “Jovens Lobos” e que, conforme poderemos perceber no site do autor, narra a vida de duas figuras que ficaram nos anais da História da Humanidade: Napoleão Bonaparte e Arthur Wesllesley, mais tarde conhecido e assim imortalizado por Duque de Wellington.

Geralmente evito emitir uma opinião sobre um livro isolado de qualquer série. A menos que não pense em continuar a ler a série, vulgarmente leio todos os livros e s
Johnny Sparrow
Sep 10, 2014 Johnny Sparrow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I make this really quick, because I'm kinda tired and sleepy.

Great book! Like the last one it captures greatly what sort of people Napoleon and Wellington were. While leaving many things out, the story is still pretty accurate, considering the actual events.

-1 star, because I found that Scarrow could have written more about Napoleons rising. I mean, yes, he was lucky and fortunate and it all went rather fast, but not so fast as Scarrow would have us think.
Andre Wemans
Aug 17, 2016 Andre Wemans rated it it was amazing
Following the first volume I enjoyed this very much. I had some idea of Napoleon actions in this epoch but was completely unaware of Wellington actions in India so the book was not only a pleasure to read by itself but also a source of future discover of a man so important both to European history and Portugal.
George Davies
Nov 10, 2014 George Davies rated it liked it
This book felt like the middle one of a trilogy, which it is of course. It would have been nice if the story didn't feel like it was just trying to get you from book one, which was very good, to book three which so far is as good as the first.
Kate Millin
Aug 19, 2012 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing
Napoleon and Wellington are both developing their careers, in quite different ways. Napleon through a campaign in Italy against Austria which leads to One in Egypt. Wellington, on the other hand ends up campaigning in India under his brother Robert who becomes the government's senior representative in the country. The result for Napoleon is that he becomes First consul in the first step of France moving away from the revolutionary leaders. Wellington's organisation of the army in India, and his ...more
Ron
Aug 24, 2016 Ron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Partly adventure novel and partly historical essay, unfortunately the two parts begin to clash as the story develops.
Simon
Apr 10, 2016 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Interesting historical based saga of Napoleon and Wellington, their military history and personal, fact mixed with fiction but in keeping with actual events. Book 2 of four in the series. Took a while to read as 600+ pages and smaller font size. Good battle scenes.
Sam
Nov 17, 2009 Sam rated it really liked it
Shelves: historic-fiction
One of the best historical fictions books i have read in a while, the book describes both Wellington and Napoleon and their rise through the ranks. Wellington is portrayed in a better way than the other character and I would guess that is how history describes them.

The period where Wellington is posted in India and his motives like bringing law and order to the natives sounds a little farfetched I don’t think the British or the East India Company had such lofty ideals.

I wish the battle of Ass
Neil
Mar 14, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it
To put this simply, the four books that comprise the 'Revolution' quartet are a parallel biography of Napoleon Bonaparte, (the corsican who almost made us all learn French), and The Duke of Wellington, (who was Irish and is credited with preventing that outcome). Neither is a very nice person.
The books and the story are among the best I've ever read, fiction or non-fiction.
Each is the size of a very thick brick, so resign yourself to a long and enjoyable journey.
But Books for the Beach they'r
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing
In this second book of four Simon continues a spell binding tale of two of Europe's best generals, two very different men who we know are destined to meet on the bloody battlefield of Waterloo.
But before they get there Simon weaves a mesmerising tale of hardship, luck and ingenuity that led these two men from military mediocrity to the leading Generals of their nations armies.
Its barely half way through the year and it will take some serious effort on the part of other authors to knock this book
Mayank Agarwal
Oct 17, 2013 Mayank Agarwal rated it it was amazing
Great Read, Book 2 of the revolution series deals with the rising military careers of Napoleon and Wellington. Simon Scarrow does a wonderful job in bringing out the military tactics and the different situations both the generals had to face in different environment. This book is more military and war then its predecessor and still gives us a good look at the local culture and political scene. Loved the way India and its problem are portrayed.
Antonio
Jun 23, 2015 Antonio rated it really liked it
Shelves: hystory
I always lacked some bits of history in Napoleon time. After these two books of Revolution series I can say I filled those gaps. Anyway, I like Scarrow from the Roman series about centurion Cato and I think I'll read another two of Revolution series.
Dee Green
Apr 05, 2013 Dee Green rated it really liked it
This book is good, but not as good as the one before. I found myself getting bored when it was about Napoleon but very interested when it was about Arthur. Maybe it is because I have already read so many books about Napoleon. Either way, it was good. Just not great.
Harvey
Jun 22, 2008 Harvey rated it really liked it
Scarrow does a great job of seamlessly tying together fact and fiction. For those purists out there Scarrow can be a bit frustrating, but I enjoy his style. Recommend to anyone wanting a fast paced good read.
Margareth8537
Particularly interested to read about Wellesley in India - I think it was probably from the Sharpe books, although I did also read some non-fiction.
And new nothing about this period of Napoleon's career
Ray
Aug 19, 2012 Ray added it
Stopped reading after 40 chapters of 69. The book never really engaged me and I was not suprised to learn that Scarrow had been a history teacher before becoming a writer...
Peter Bell
Oct 20, 2012 Peter Bell rated it really liked it
A good continuation of the the story of Napoleon Bonaparte and Arthur Wellesley that was started in Young Bloods. Excellent read, highly recommended.
Chris
Very readable story detailing the military rise in careers of both Napoleon and Wellington. This series makes history fun!
adam-p-reviews
Apr 02, 2012 adam-p-reviews rated it really liked it
Check out my review of this brilliant book at http://adam-p-reviews.blogspot.co.uk/...
Donna Devos
Feb 18, 2015 Donna Devos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Looking forward to finishing the trilogy.
Rachael
Apr 17, 2012 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Scarrow brings life to two of history's greatest military minds with an unsurpassed skill. Superb stuff!
Alexandra
Feb 16, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Loved it! True, just a few too many battle descriptions, hence the four stars, but still great!
Steve Vernon
A solid and entertaining look at the early lives of Wellington and Napoleon.
Jeannot667
May 03, 2010 Jeannot667 rated it it was ok
A VERY liberal take on history but entertaining nonetheless.
Alistair Shields
Apr 02, 2014 Alistair Shields rated it it was amazing
Excellent, Simon Scarrow bring the Napoleonic world alive
  • Sharpe's Regiment (Sharpe, #17)
  • The Prow Beast (Oathsworn, #4)
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Four Days in June: Waterloo: A Battle for Honour and Glory
  • Ramage & the Renegades (The Lord Ramage Novels, #12)
Simon Scarrow is a UK-based author, born in Nigeria, and now living in Norfolk. He completed a master's degree at the University of East Anglia, and, after working at the Inland Revenue, went into teaching as a lecturer at City College, Norwich.

He is best known for his "Eagle" series. This is Roman empire military fiction, starting with the second invasion of Britain, and continuing with subsequen
More about Simon Scarrow...

Revolution Quartet (4 books)
  • Young Bloods (Revolution, #1)
  • Fire and Sword (Revolution, #3)
  • The Fields Of Death (Revolution, #4)