Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)

Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  454 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Her wealth and beauty have made Miss Portia Crompton the catch of the season. Secretly determined to wed the maharajah's son she left behind in India, Portia ignores the money-hungry bucks who ply her with bouquets and bonbons. But one suitor will not be deterred: Colin Byrd, Viscount Ratcliffe. He is persistent and presumptuous—and wickedly tempting.

Colin has no delusions...more
Published December 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Seducing the Heiress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seducing the Heiress

Rane
Colin Byrd, Viscount Ratcliffe is broke and has creditors breathing down his neck! Having his eye on the richest heiress of the season to get him out of his bind, he thinks it’ll be a breeze to charm his way with the heiress all the way to the wedding. Until he has to match wits and charm with the rich heiress herself Miss.Portia Crompton.

Colin is in a very tight bind, with the bills stacking up and running out of time and money, he comes up with a mercenary scheme. Marry the richest heiress o...more
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

It’s been a while since I’ve read a regency historical romance, and although it’s not my favorite romance genre, I still enjoy them on occasion, especially when it’s a captivating story with intriguing characters that keeps me entertained, and Olivia Drake’s Seducing the Heiress, which is the first in her An Heiress in London series, definitely held my interest.

Miss Portia Crompton is just a commoner, but she’s the hottest thing to hit the society scene than...more
Beanbag Love
This was a good book. It seems to be the first of a series, so there were some loose ends that weren't tied up, but that didn't actually hamper the story at hand.

I have to admit, though, that the discord went on too long for me. I don't think we got to see them being together as a couple for enough time to really feel satisfied by the end. There just weren't a lot of scenes of them being together without it being all fraught with sexual tension. Now, I like sexual tension as much as the next gal...more
♡Karlyn P♡
What a fun historical read. A light romp with great characters.
ChloeLeeNH
I adored this one! It was funny, sexy and quick to read. I loved both the hero and heroine. Though they put in the old love in India.. I really think that it could have stood with the same plot without it. But it did lend to some funny scenes regarding the said person. I am looking forward to the next for sure!
Claudia
this was a nice read. I had some troubles in the first half of the book because I could not quite get into feeling the attraction but that changed.

Colin is viewed as a scoundrel and is cut from society for murdering his father. the first impression we get is that he is obviously gamling away his money and is not to be trusted. but during the book there are a lot of incidents which prove that he is more to him than society thinks. He is generous, loving and - as we experience through the book - s...more
Tabetha Waite
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! A very entertaining page turner from start to finish. I thought both Portia and Ratcliffe were wonderful characters and that it had a very 'Pride & Prejudice' aspect. Very nicely done!
Annii Frazer
This book annoyed me with its anachronisms. I don't care if a girl's family is 'in trade' or if she was raised in India, there is no way during regency times that she would be sneaking in and out of unmarried gentlemen's houses trying to recover lost goods. Especially as she was trying to be proper and not destroy her reputation (and that of her family). Regency romances that can't stay with the social mores of the time annoy me SO MUCH.
Sheila
What's the star rating for "I liked it just fine, but don't have any interest in reading anything else by the author"? Threeish?
Amanda
This books is...well....ok. In the author bio in the back, Drake is a pseudonym for a best selling author. Well, that kind of makes sense. The dialogue is sharp, witty, and very entertaining. It is the plot that only gets one star. The book goes on until the very last little bit, then all kinds of devices are thrown in. Family issues are resolved, and frankly, the heroine was so smart, I'm surprised she didn't figure out the hero's secrets sooner. Basically, this only got one star because the an...more
Ann  Lorz
The reason I picked this book to buy was due to what the reviewer said about the author. She liked Drake's writing to Amanda Quick's. I love Amanda Quick, so I wanted to give this author a try. Soon into to the book I realized how wrong the reviewer was. Quick has a ton of humor in her books, which this one lacked, plus her characters were often not perfect in beauty, both characters were. I had trouble getting into the book until almost the end. I felt that there wasn't any real time spent with...more
Shan
I really liked this book. Portia has got to be one of my favorite heroines to date. She was head strong and no one could stop her from doing what she wanted to do. Along comes Colin to put a damper in all of her plans and steal her heart in the process. I am already looking forward to reading the next book in this series and can't wait for Lindsey's story.

Anyway, I couldn't stand Edith Crompton or Lady Ratcliffe. I guess it was a sign of their time, because they were some very selfish women. I u...more
Amanda
Nov 14, 2011 Amanda added it
Okay so to me the book had a mellow flow I totally loved the plot and the passages are so descriptive. Im a fan of H/H alternating POVs but the fact that hmmm even if you dont read the decription about the other books in the trilogy something funny is going on with Portias parents. There was intigue and mystery, the tension between the H/H was palpable full of steaminess. Colin wasnt at all what he seemed and as you move along and get to know him better it feels like Colin is alot more worth tha...more
Victoria
Loved the main characters!! There were times in the book that I didn't think they were going to make it. To my relief they pulled through. A very enjoyable read!
Kristi
Though it did keep my interest throughout the book, it wasn't spectacular. The love connection and love scenes were a little lack luster for me. The ending was a bit of a disappointment as well. Arun finally returns to Portia, and he's totally cool with her being in love with another guy. He travels all the way from India to see her, and doesn't even put up a fight?! Just seemed a little unrealistic. The actual ending of the book felt to be unfinished in a way. Portia and Colin profess their und...more
Elizabeth
Such a waste of time!
P.S The word "Dunno" did not exist at that times and here it is used a lot.
Tishke
Cynthia
I was on vacation and I was able to read three book and this was one of them..... I adored this one! It was funny, sexy and quick to read. I loved both the hero and heroin. The Hero drowning in debt, Colin, Lord Ratcliffe must find a way to seduce and marry the wealthiest Lady of the season Portia Crompton there story takes you on a theme park ride which you really enjoy and catch yourself laughing out loud I totally recommend this book and can't wait to the next book which is about Portia siste...more
Michelle Cerrato

Eh, I had a hard time getting into this one. I probably would've enjoyed it more if it was obvious from the beginning that the love interest, Ratcliffe, was taking the rap for someone else where his reputation was concerned. I never felt a real connection between the main characters until about 2/3rds through. There was also a mysterious visitor to the house hinting something about the mother's past. It doesn't come up again in this book, maybe in a future book? It was just confusing.
Jean Tatro
I started this book because I needed something fluffy and light after the last book I read. I wasn't expecting much, but I quite enjoyed it. The characters had good chemistry, the plot was interesting, the writing was good. The pacing progressed well, twists came at appropriate times - it's all around solid book. Perhaps nothing new, or mindblowing, or revolutionary, but I didn't getting bored or angry at it once, which I find myself doing too often these days.
Donna
This book was just sort of average for me. I don't really have any big negatives, but I didn't really have any highlights, either. Portia and Colin were both likeable and I certainly wanted Colin to get the girl, but I found a lot of the plot line predictable and uninspiring. I found the duke's animosity and quest for "revenge" too over the top to be really believable and Colin's loyalty to his selfish, immature mother also lacked credibility.
Annii
Cathiecaffey
I got this book as soon as it was out and was captivated by this read and its a debut in this name but a favorite author of mine, Barbara Dawson Smith.

Loved this heroine of Portia, so independent and so know what she wants! And Colin, Lord Ratcliffe, he does have a huge heart! He's drowning in debt but too drowns in lust and love with her. I did too!
PBnJ
This book had moments I enjoyed but for the most part it was rather lackluster. The problems and resolutions were a bit contrived; nothing too exciting, nor terribly romantic. The banter between the H/H was mildly humorous; mostly they just lusted after each other. When they finally did hop into bed it was the standard flowery fare of a regency romance.
Fira Rosli
Meh. This book is just okay for me. First half of the book is waaaay better then the another half of the book. I don't understand why the author has to drag and drag the ending, making more complications when she could have easily end the story happily and write a satisfying epilogue? Ugh. I hate it when a story doesn't end with an epilogue.
Charlotte
A spunky heiress and a rake with a heart of gold make for a satisfying, if not particularly original, love story. It's a pretty cartoonish portrayal of the regency period and the plot can't be taken seriously but the dialogue is sharp and the writing goes down easy.
Claudine
Enjoyed the story overall. Will be looking for the next bok in the series to come out this fall, Never Trust A Rogue. The three Crompton sisters (Portia. Lindsey & Blythe) will make for a delightful series.
Pamela
Rated 4.5 Blue Ribbons
Review courtesy of Romance Junkies: http://romancejunkiesreviews.com/artm...
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was fun but it felt really rough, like it was written too fast. Likable characters, and several interesting takes on an age old plot.
Very good book. Keeps your attention right up till the end! I love that the 'villian' has a secret side that he is afraid to show!
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • An Accidental Seduction (Accidental, #1)
  • Touched by Fire
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Promise Me Tonight (Weston #1)
  • Tempt the Devil
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Compromised
  • When A Lady Misbehaves (Pleasure Emporium, #1)
  • Mastering the Marquess (Stantons, #1)
  • Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2)
  • Too Wicked to Wed (Lords of Midnight, #1)
  • To Tempt a Saint (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • How I Met My Countess (Bachelor Chronicles, #6)
  • Temptation of a Proper Governess (Cameron Sisters, #1)
Shortly after graduating from Michigan State University with a degree in journalism, Olivia Drake sold her first novel two weeks after sending it to a publisher. She now lives in Texas in a cozy cottage with a feisty cat, a loving husband, and two wonderful daughters who still come back whenever they want a home-cooked meal.

Many of you already know Olivia as Barbara Dawson Smith, author of 24 his...more
More about Olivia Drake...
If the Slipper Fits (Cinderella Sisterhood, #1) Never Trust a Rogue (Heiress in London, #2) Scandal of the Year (Heiress in London, #3) Stroke of Midnight (Cinderella Sisterhood, #2) Abducted by a Prince (Cinderella Sisterhood, #3)