Start by marking “The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur: USA (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur: USA (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #1)

The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur: USA (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In "The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur," Jack zooms to the city that never sleeps to try to solve the mystery of the missing Allosaurus toe. Starting at the Natural History Museum, Jack's detection takes him to a competitive grade-schooler determined to win the science fair with his experiment crossing his own dog with the DNA from the bone of a dangerous, carnivorous dinos ...more
Published September 4th 2007 by Weinstein Books (first published June 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Escape of the Deadly Dinosaur

M.
A good adventure book for young boys. Reading level is probably 3rd grade or so, but younger kids will like it read aloud. Jack Stalwart is a 9-year old secret agent. He's sent to New York City to find the whereabouts of a missing allosaurus bone and ends up having to keep a marauding dinosaur from destroying the city. Jack comes equipped with a special flying skateboard, goo gel, and other high tech gadgets to assist him in the adventure. Best of all, his magic map lets him to do all this and s ...more
Lucy
I read this book with my ten-year old son. It's a simple, exciting adventure story about a school-aged spy that was fun to read. However, as a Brit (we live in the U.S.) I must have a little moan on behalf of Britain- England specifically; my issue, which my son also picked up on, is that the author, who is clearly American, doesn't know how English people talk! On page 2 Jack's mum says to him, "The Book of the Month book club sure does send you quite a few books." I think a little research wou ...more
Devan
I liked this book because it's easy to read and I enjoy mystery books where you have to find out who did something. I recommend this book to people who like mysteries. I think that Jack's magic map is pretty cool. The things Jack has may not be real but they are cool, like an anti-intruder alarm built into his agent watch phone and a power pogo. Jack is in a special program called GPF, the gobal protection force and his brother is an agent just like him. So, Jack goes around the world on mission ...more
Sandy
Jack Stalwart is a nine year old boy who joined the Global Protection Force as a secret agent in order to help fight evil around the world. This is a nice step up from the Magic Tree House books for readers that love the adventure component of those books but need something a little more challenging. Just like Jack and Annie transport to places on missions via their treehouse, Jack teleports through a map when a mission needs accomplished. In this first book, Jack teleports to New York City wher ...more
Marjana
I've read it to my son and we both liked it...I'd borowed it in our library and read it in Slovenian language, but only first and second one are translated....I hope that they will translate all the others....

Prebrala sem jo sinu in obema je bila všeč...sposodila sem si jo v naši knjižnici in sicer slovesko izdajo, prevedena je samo še druga knjiga...upam da bodo prevedli še ostale....
Kelly
May 19, 2011 Kelly added it
This book was entertaining but not very well written. I liked the gadgets the kid used but it wasn't realistic and the characters in the book weren't surprised when the kid pulls out a board that flies or changes into blades for ice. In that sense, it was weird. Oh, and there was a giant dinosaur in the present.
It was ok because it was achly Freidy (the dog)because tomas
put a dinosaurs leg on him.It was also OK because Jack used
his flyboard,goo tube and lots more.It also had everything
you ought to know about the allosaurus and new york city(utherwise know as the big apele)in usa.
Vonnegut
I love this book. I'd give one thousand, infinity, infinity, infinity stars. I like it too much. I've already read number 1-5. Well, I'm out of space. I'll see you in the next one I write. Well, I won't see you. I can't see you through the computer.
Jacob
I liked this book because the gadgets were out of this world! What I also liked was the dinosaur developing from a dog named Freddie. Jack is my favorite character becasue he is the secret agent working for the Global Protection Force (GPF).
Jen
This is a wonderful series for young boys. It has adventure as well as learning some basic facts about different countries. This would be easy to work into a lead in for social studies. My boys are hooked and can't wait to the next book comes in.
Amy
Nov 30, 2011 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: jfic
A great book for kids who have outgrown the Magic Treehouse books and want a little adventure in their lives. Jack is smart, earnest, brave -- and has cool gadgets! What could be better?
Ingrid
Great books for the kid who love spies and detectives! The author has new clever gadgets for the nine year old spy in each book. These have been a big hit in our house!
Tiffany
This book was adventurous, full of suspense, with super-hero feel. I loved reading about all of Jack’s gadgets, reminds me of James Bond 007. This book is part of a series. This particular story is about how Jack saves New York city from an allosaurus brought back to life from the toe bone stolen from the American Museum of Natural History. The theme would be staying cool, calm, and collected at all times, especially for Jack. The words of his brother calm him down: A successful secret agent cle ...more
Kristin
More secret agent fare for younger readers; info about Natural History Museum and dinosaurs; maybe level O?
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Secret agent first chapter series, for early elementary espionage.
Katie Jane
Listened to this one. Very impressive dinosaur noises.
Jackson
i liked this book a lot and it had a lot of action
Benjamin
awesome book!
just like the others.
Luis Olmeda
This book is still pretty cool no matter how many times I read it, and no matter how old I get. Even though its a VERY short book, it still entertains me a lot. I love the fact that a mere child stops a huge dinosaur from destroying New York city, when a grade-schooler crosses the DNA of an Allosaurus toe that was stolen from a museum, with his pet dog Freddie. This book is so cheesy and childish, but I love it. Reading this book always brings back the good memories of when i was a child, and al ...more
Heber Guevara
It is really awesome
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ?

FIC HUN

This is the beginning book in series all about Jack Stalwart, the 9 year old secret agent. This series is for about late second grade early third.
Jack is called on a mission to New York city, there seems to be a problem at the Museum of Natural History and he's the only one that can crack the case and put things right.
Erica
Cat
After being forced persuaded to "borrow" books from the 8 year old I babysit's new personal library, I chose this series (he did a book report on it). I have to say I can see why he loves it - it's got maps, tons of cool gadgets, and exciting secret missions. Plus there's that whole mystery with his older brother.

So far, I can see that the book tries to education/illuminate readers about lots of different things - geographical places, animals, etc. Obviously the premise of the book isn't very re
Sara
Would recommend as a bridge book. Exactly what you expect it to be. Beginning readers / elementary grades.

Series: Secret Agent Jack Stalwart

Readalikes:
Heroes in Training series / Holub & Williams
Zac Power series / H.I. Larry
Susan
Certainly not the best written book but I did like the gadgets that the Jack uses. This series would be a good next step for readers moving away from the Magic Tree House or A to Z Mysteries series.
Elizabeth
Ok but not great - more action oriented than magic treehouse but for younger kids (ok, boys) than Alex Rider. Shallow characterization, but that's a hazard of this level, I think.
Sydney
I am a five year old and I thought it was good. And I finished reading this book, and I thought that I would get the next one. This book made me very happy.
Sean Quach
The protagonist Jack Stalwart ,a secret agent,flashes to his destination using his trusty globe .When the globe spins that means there is trouble .Jack can travel around the world and help others to save the world.I like this sires because it is nor just one book it is a whole sires to keep you interested and read more.I think that the people who have trouble imagining the books.
Mary Ann
Will appeal to Magic Tree House fans. Adventure, travel, plus cool gadgets. But plot holes. Time Warp Trio and Zac Power are stronger series for similar level readers seeking wacky adventures.

I do not recommend the audio books for these at all. Jacks accent seems jarring, inconsistent and not well explained.
Angie
Completely unbelievable but then again ... does it have to be?

Fun little gadgets.

I'll have to get a few for our collection and see how they do. No, not the most literary but again ... not everything has to be. Building up stamina can sometimes be "just for fun" books.
  • Kaymon The Gorgon Hound (Beast Quest, #16)
  • Bowling Alley Bandit
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Poison Island
  • Another Whole Nother Story
  • Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns, #1)
  • Charge Of The Triceratops (Dinosaur Cove, #2)
  • The High Skies Adventures of Blue Jay the Pirate
  • Daisy Dawson Is on Her Way!
The Mystery of the Mona Lisa: France (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #3) The Secret of the Sacred Temple: Cambodia (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #5) The Caper of the Crown Jewels: England (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #4) The Search for the Sunken Treasure: Australia (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #2) The Pursuit of the Ivory Poachers: Kenya (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #6)