Start by marking “Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped And Smoothed” as Want to Read:
Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped And Smoothed

Bespoke: Savile Row Ripped And Smoothed

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A behind-the-scenes expose of life on Savile Row from one of Britain's most celebrated and successful tailors.
Published September 1st 2009 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Bespoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bespoke

Helen Stothard
I found this book absolutely fascinating. I enjoy reading biographies but think this is the most entertaining so far.

It combines the history and mystique of Saville Row with the humour of Richard Anderson, it is also a form of business guide as well.

I could picture the scenes and the characters easily, and although famous names were mentioned it wasn't in the sense of name dropping, merely to add to what was being said.

I would happily recommend this book to others.
Silvia
For somebody who doesn’t care an awful lot about her own clothes – I could happily spend my days wearing jeans, t-shirt and DocMartens – I have developed a serious kink when it comes to menswear, or rather: bespoke menswear. It all started when I took up writing fanfiction because one of my MCs is always impeccably dressed and wears the most beautiful three piece suits. Well, if you want your stories to be believable and if you want your characters to come to life, you need to do some proper res ...more
Shawn Patrick Henning
This book told a story of a craftsman. While it was particularly interesting to me as someone who is interested in mens custom suits, I think anyone who appreciates artisans and craft will find the book interesting and perhaps even inspiring.

Richard does a nice job of weaving in details of the trade with a narrative of his personal experience as well as historical information. All-in-all very well done.
Dale
I love to hear about the lives of real people doing their jobs, especially in professions that are glamorized or otherwise displayed as one-sided.

This book was an amazing peek behind the curtain of high quality bespoke suit making in London's famous Savile Row. It followed the life of Richard Anderson, from when he started as an apprentice cutter just out of high school (or "University", or whatever Brits call it), all the way through the build up of his own brand. You got to see a world steepe
Vicki
I was fascinated. I even understood most of the sewing situations he talked about. I have a true respect for suit makers and especially those 'Bespoke' makers. Imagine having something made so perfectly for you and your shape. Very impressed.
Mitch
Nov 10, 2009 Mitch rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: amanda antunes
This first book of its kind from the point of view of an actual maker of some of the finest men's garments available today.
Andy
Similar to Marco Pierre White's book The Devil In The Kitchen in that it recounts the education of an English lad to an old traditional trade via The School of Hard Knocks. More importantly this is one of the best books written about menswear and is absolutely mandatory reading for anyone involved in the craft of tailoring at all.

Anderson goes into great instructional detail all through the book on how to best fit a suit or pants on someone with an uneven body - like 99% of us out there. He expl
Julia
An entertaining and engaging read. Anderson gives an accessible insight into the world of bespoke clothing, specifically Savile Row's world, which (as it turns out) is not without its infighting, fame, larger-than-life personalities, and horror stories. I would have liked more details about the actual construction of a suit, but I suppose that to get that I would need to apprentice myself on Savile Row!
Judy
I enjoyed this book. The author is unpretentious when he could be. He makes you feel like you know him and could have lunch with him. I love a book that opens a whole new world to me and this one did. Who knew all that went into a bespoke suit. Who knew what 'bespoke' even meant!
Jude
Jude marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
seyonne
seyonne marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Tobe Fong
Tobe Fong marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Elzakun
Elzakun is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Alasdair Ekpenyong
Alasdair Ekpenyong marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Yao
Yao added it
Dec 16, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Urmi
Urmi marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cleanse & Purify Thyself. Book One: Cleansing ASP 3.0 Programmer's Reference Cleanse & Purify Thyself Professional ASP.Net 1.0, Special Edition Homesteading: Self Sufficiency Guide To Gardening: Homesteaders Guide To Growing What You Eat