Start by marking “Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg” as Want to Read:
Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg

Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg

Cast out of the refrigerator because of a small crack, Eggbert sets out into the world, using his talent for painting to try to blend in. Eventually he realizes that cracks are everywhere and reminds us all that our flaws are perfectly natural.
Published January 27th 1997 by Puffin Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eggbert, the Slightly Cracked Egg

Gabby
Feb 01, 2015 Gabby added it
Eggbert is an egg who loves to paint. One day the other eggs realize he has a little crack and kick him out of the fridge because he is different. He tries to fit into different habitats such as the kitchen counter, a flower bed, and the night sky by painting himself to match his surroundings. When others find out that he does not belong, they ostracize him. This discourages Eggbert. Finally he realizes that the earth is full of little cracks like in the clouds, and the Grand Canyon, and the ...more
Greta
Apr 12, 2008 Greta rated it it was amazing
has much to say about the creative process and originality... and dare I say some madness
Mary
Oct 22, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommended to teach Standard 2. It is a good book to teach allegories.
Michelle
Oct 07, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Be yourself no matter what etc
Tanya S
Sep 12, 2016 Tanya S rated it liked it
Nice book.
Dolly
May 21, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading to their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fun book that shows how to recover from adversity and that even a flaw or "crack" can turn into something to be proud of. Breaking free from the norm can lead to exciting adventures and new perspectives. It is silly and creative and the illustrations are just as fun. It's a great book to read aloud to children.
Leslie
Apr 07, 2010 Leslie rated it liked it
A fun picture book about Eggbert, an artistic egg who enjoys his life in the fridge until he learns that he has a small crack. He is kicked out of the fridge and has a hard time finding a place to live until he realized that there are lots of famous things that have cracks in them.

A fun read that is great for a read-aloud book for preschoolers and fun for young readers.
Andrea
Apr 18, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Cute story with message that it's okay to be different. Not one of my favorites, but love the message.
Sylvia
Mar 13, 2008 Sylvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
WOW! The pictures are amazing!! When Eggbert blends with flowers, stars, wow! Fantastic! Children will LOVE Eggbert with his slightly crack.
Meg McGregor
May 17, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
One of my most favorite children's books that shows being an individual and being happy with yourself is one of the most important lessons to be learned in this life.
Ruth
Oct 19, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
It's okay to be cracked and different. The things that make you stand out or the characteristics that will take you on the most amazing journeys that life has to offer.
The Brothers
Cute story about an egg "finding himself" when he is cast out for being a bit cracked. As usual, I was drawn to this story because of the food theme and illustrations. I'm a sucker for food...
Elizabeth Rachow
Mar 21, 2013 Elizabeth Rachow rated it it was amazing
Great book for teaching the main idea and supporting details! Also, has a great heart lesson about it is okay to be different! :)
Katie
Nov 21, 2007 Katie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Okay, Becky, this IS a good book. Thank you, Marisa, for pulling it for me:) I see why you cried. I think your comment prepared me for it. Eggbert is a cutie!
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2014
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Kate Maynor
Kate Maynor rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2014
Jenna VW
Jenna VW rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Alicea Rodig
Alicea Rodig rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2013
Jill M. Pierson
Jill M. Pierson rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2014
Vashti Puls
Vashti Puls rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2009
Alistair Ninancuro
Alistair Ninancuro rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2011
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2008
Millie Brereton
Millie Brereton rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2008
Aaliyah
Aaliyah rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015