Start by marking “One False Move: A Myron Bolitar Novel” as Want to Read:
One False Move: A Myron Bolitar Novel

One False Move: A Myron Bolitar Novel (Myron Bolitar #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  12,069 ratings  ·  499 reviews
It’s no secret that Harlan Coben’s name is synonymous with unrelenting suspense. In this compelling fifth novel in his acclaimed Myron Bolitar series, the unforgettable sports agent agrees to protect basketball star Brenda Slaughter while trying to unravel the tragic riddle of her life.

As a big-time New York sports agent, Myron has a professional interest in Brenda. Then a
Published August 25th 2009 by Dell (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about One False Move, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

I am steadily working my way through this series and here I am at number 5. Myron remains one of my favourite book characters but Win comes a close second! I loved the banter between them in this book and the way they operate as a team. The ending was very sad and made me want to go straight to number 6 just to find out how our hero copes:)
Before Myron Bolitar was introduced to Brenda Slaughter he said he wasn’t a bodyguard, so wouldn’t take on the job of keeping her safe. But once he saw her, he agreed without a lot of hesitation. A very intelligent young woman, Brenda was a basketball star – Myron represented sports stars in his business, MB SportsReps, so it made sense. No one needed to know of his added role with her. As Myron learned about Brenda’s tragic past, he determined there was more to her problems that it seemed – and ...more

A solid entry into the Harlan Coben/Myron Bolitar series, without ever truly excelling.

I’ve read quite a lot of Harlan Coben’s work now but the last standalone novel I read, “Hold Tight”, just tipped the scales for me and went into the realms of stupidity and a sense of deja vu to some of his other works. I was less than impressed with that book and decided I needed to leave the author alone for some time.

That was a couple of years ago and I felt it was time to read another of his entertai
Paul Lyons
With One False Move, Harlan Coben crafts yet another fine Myron Bolitar with a wonderful mystery full of nifty twists and turns. Okay, along the way, we already know how one small part of the mystery is going to play out-- still-- Coben manages to keep it fresh and moving forward with his cast of characters.

Myron's wit is probably the best part of these novels. He always has something funny to say in the face of danger-- and sometimes even asks himself, as a person would do, "Why did I say that?
Joe Stamber
If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel then don't bother. I would suggest Tell No One as a good choice. If you're considering One False Move as your first Harlan Coben novel featuring Myron Bolitar then don't bother as it's the fifth in the series.

The rest of you must already have read several books in the Myron Bolitar series. What do you want to know? It's Harlan Coben. It's Myron Bolitar. Imagine how you would expect it to be and that's exactly how it is.

Lynn Pribus
I like Coben's Myron Bolitar books better than some of his others because they are usually less weighted down by bodies, but this one had a goodly number. Not quite as light as some other Bolitars.

For most of the book, the tone is lighter -- more Robert Parker-ish with a wry, sarcastic delivery a la Spenser. This one involves a young black woman who is a top basketball player in a WNBA-like league. To protect her, Myron becomes her agent. But events 20 years earlier and lots of lying by lots of
One False Move is the 5th book in the Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben. Sports agent Myron Bolitar is hired to protect Brenda Slaughter, a beautiful basketball star. Her mother disappeared twenty years ago, and now her father is missing too. First the clothes were gone, then the money was gone.

If you're a Bolitar fan, you know that he is more than just a sports agent. And you know he's a sympathetic person who loves to help and save his clients. You should also be familiar with his team: Es
I picked this audio book up at the library because I am a new fan of Coben's. I didn't realize that this particular book is the fifth installment of the Myron Bolitar series. And I was already several chapters in before I realized it. It didn't seem to matter and it functions fine as a stand-alone novel (the only drawback being that I now know things that have happened in previous books).

I like Myron. His character is drawn pretty well and I laughed out loud several times at his sense of humor.
Probably my favorite Myron Boltiar book up to its point in the series. The pace is well done and things move quickly, but not so fast that you get lost. No excessive characters to murk up the plot. Also, nice to have things get so personal for Myron. The twists and turns keep coming and ends with one of the best shockers I can recall from a mystery story. All of this and the wit and pop culture references you'd expect from the series. A great read if you're a Coben fan or just looking for a grea ...more
The least predictable of the series thus far, but it still wasn't great. Coben has this frustrating habit of trying too hard to make his main character awkward. It is becoming grating.

Bolitar is certainly very likeable as a main character. His cohorts are as equally likeable with the exception of his girlfriend. I do wish Coben would go off on a Win tangent for a book or two.

After five books I don't see these books as anything more than quick summer reads. There just isn't that much substance to
I am a huge fan of Harlan Coben. This is the 5th book of his I read, but the first featuring Myron Bolitar.

Simply put, Mr. Coben is one of the best writers out there. His characters are well-defined, interesting, and different. There are countless plot twists and unexpected turns. Parts of it are hilarious and had me cracking up. Others had me wiping a tear away. He is a writing genius and his books, including One False Move, are emotional roller coasters.

I was sure this would be a 5 s
Norm Zuckerman asks Myron Bolitar to be a bodyguard to star basketball player Brenda Slaughter. Brenda's father Horace, a mentor to Myron when he was a kid, has disappeared. Brenda has been receiving threatening calls and is being followed. One caller told her to contact her mother. That's not easy to do since her mother disappeared when she was a child. When Myron starts investigating Horace Slaughter's disappearance and the 20 year old disappearance of Anita Slaughter, he finds there are many ...more
Myron Bolitar's client this time is Brenda Slaughter, beautiful basketball phenom who doesn't want (or feel she needs) his services or his protection, but she's been getting threatening phone calls, her father is missing, and she wants to find the mother who deserted her when she was 5 years old. As the two begin to work together things get very complicated, with a candidate for governor who has a squad of hit men in his entourage, a less than savory rival sports rep company with "muscle," a 20 ...more
Darren Vincent
Best Bolitar entry since the first. The gang is all here, but unlike the last two that I read, this one seems to squeeze more drama out of the sublots. There is more substance to the relationships of the main characters and there appear to be some lasting consequences to these characters that were missing from the earlier novels. The main plot was great as well and I had no idea how it would end until the last few pages.

I am looking forward to reading the next Bolitar novel.
Hyderali Shaikh
So, finally I finished another book of my favorite mystery-thriller-who-done-it author Harlen Coben.
First, let me give you a quick summary about what this book "One False Move" is about.

Quick Summary
It is a story of our favorite sports agent Mr. Myron Bolitar who gets a job of guarding a basketball player Miss. Brenda Slaughter who gets threatening calls from some unknown person asking about her father who goes missing.

What I particularly liked about the book?
This is my second book in the ser
Myron Bolitar est recruté pour veiller sur l'étoile montante du basketball féminin, la ravissante Brenda Slaughter. « Du miel tiède sur des pancakes du dimanche. » Excusez du peu ! L'entourage de la sportive soupçonne son père de vouloir ruiner sa carrière, or ce dernier est porté disparu. Myron ne cache pas sa perplexité, puisqu'il a connu Horace durant ses jeunes années et ne conçoit pas une once de duplicité chez lui.

Brenda, aussi belle que farouche, semble soutenir la thèse de Myron. Mais ce
Jim C
This book is part of the Myron Bolitar series but it can be read as a stand alone novel. In this one Brenda is a professional basketball player and she is in trouble. The owner of the team asks Myron to look out for her and soon Myron is involved in so much more.

This book was a little slow at the beginning. But when Myron gets deeply involved in the mystery this book takes off. The mystery is well done and I had no idea where it was heading. The conclusion was terrific and this mystery was one o
To say I enjoyed this book would be an understatement. I was left slightly stunned and in awe at the end from the emotional punch Coben incorporated into a simple yet gripping mystery.

My brief overview - Myron is persuaded into helping up and coming women's basketball star Brenda Slaughter, daughter of his former mentor - whom he hasn't talked to in 10 years. What Myron doesn't expect is to be drawn into family intrigue and secrets that will change everything where he learns the best intentions
I went into this one frustrated because, I got out of order, and some details were mute at this point, but nonetheless, it proved as always to be an intense read...

Myron is asked to watch out for Brenda Slaughter. Her father, Horace, was once a friend and mentor to Myron, and after discussing the arrangement with Brenda, they agree to the arrangement.

Twenty years ago, Brenda's mother disappeared from her life, and Horace raised her as a single father. The past begins to reveal itself as slowly
A good Myron Bolitar mystery. Myron is called by an old coach who wants him to watch over a young female basketball star. It appears she is getting some threats that she should take seriously. The young star, who is also a medical student at NYU, isn't interested in a bodyguard. She wants Myron to find her missing father, whom she had a restraining against and who is also Myron's old coach, and her mother who disappeared under mysterious circumstances 20 years earlier. But someone is determined ...more
Full review and more at:

The book was a nice quick read, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed his others. It may be because it was an earlier book. I've noticed with some authors that I've read more than one novel, the books just continue to improve and get better. (one would hope).

This one, although interesting, didn't grab me like others I'd read. I didn't feel quite an attachment to the characters that I had wanted to. That being said, it appears the mai
Chris Cook
I listened to this book on audiobook, and it's a good book for a long car ride. My only quibble is, once you've read one Bolitar book, it seems like you've read them all. If three books are any indication, he's going to fall in love with a woman who is accused of a crime, and someone very close to him is going to die. Okay, I have another quibble, too. In this particular book, the ending is a bit dissatisfying, mostly because the ethical decisions that are made by the characters are so gray they ...more
Probably the weakest Bolitar book so far.

It is a pretty decent mystery, but sometimes it feels like Myron is tossed into plots, when the books could be much better without him.
Warning....Start this on a snowy or rainy day, or on vacation, when you have nothing else to do but read. It is one I couldn't put down.
I have read all but one of the Myron Bolitar series and I have to say this was my favorite. Next up for me in the series will be Long Lost.
Well, this ebook bundle is headed back to the library today (someone else has a hold) so my Myron Bolitar binge read has come to an end. I definitely will pick back up with the last few books when I get the chance.

This one had a darker mood to it... things aren't going so well with Jessica, there's a new love interest, everybody is getting threatened and murdered and one of these days, Win is just not going to be there to save Myron from death by thug/psychopath. I wanted to carry on with the se
Mary Lynn Noonan-Toschi
Sep 21, 2015 Mary Lynn Noonan-Toschi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Mary Lynn Noonan-Toschi by: I love the author's books
I loved this book!! That plot twists kept me turning the pages wanting more of the story. Not even the Prologue prepared me for the ending. I just love reading about Myron, Win, Esperanza, Big Cindy and especially, Myron's parents who pull me back to my years growing up and starting my adult life in beloved, Livingston. I adored the local references. I fondly miss the old Heritage Diner and am as equally repulsed as Myron Bolitar at it's replacement. It's heart warming that some of our most sacr ...more
I like Myron, but I am not real fond of some of his associates, notably partner/protector Win and beautiful but not fully trustworthy girlfriend Jessica. Fortunately Jessica spends most of this book in California, leaving Myron free to form a close, but unfortunately brief, relationship, with Brenda, the professional basketball player he is hired to safeguard. In doing so, he must cope with not one but two rival groups of bad guys as well as other evildoers. It will take a better armchair detec ...more
Do you like standalone book OR a series of a character? 7 12 Feb 06, 2015 04:51PM
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Bury the Lead
  • Stone Rain
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • Mind Scrambler (John Ceepak Mystery, #5)
  • Stolen (Tavistock Family, #2)
  • Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

Myron Bolitar (10 books)
  • Deal Breaker (Myron Bolitar, #1)
  • Drop Shot (Myron Bolitar, #2)
  • Fade Away (Myron Bolitar, #3)
  • Back Spin (Myron Bolitar, #4)
  • The Final Detail (Myron Bolitar, #6)
  • Darkest Fear (Myron Bolitar, #7)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
  • Long Lost (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Live Wire (Myron Bolitar, #10)
Tell No One The Woods Caught Six Years Hold Tight

“I remember everything about her. The way she looked. The way she smelled. The way she’d come home from her job so tired she could barely put her feet up. I don’t think I’ve talked about her five times in the past twenty years. But I think about her every day. I think about why she gave me up. And I think about why I still miss her.” 1 likes
“They’re politicians,’ Win said. ‘They’d lie and evade if you asked them what they had for breakfast.” 1 likes