DeKok and the Mask of Death

DeKok and the Mask of Death (De Cock #27)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
“Baantjer’s laconic, rapid-fire storytelling has spun out a surprisingly complex web of mysteries.”—Kirkus Reviews

“DeKok is a careful, compassionate policeman in the tradition of Maigret; crime fans will enjoy this book.”—Library Journal

In this next book in the popular Inspector DeKok Investigates series, a strange incident leads DeKok to discover the disappearance of a wo...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Speck Press (first published 1987)

Kate
This book is an installment in Dutch author Baantjer's police procedural series featuring Amsterdam detective Inspector DeKok. It was my first foray into the series and, indeed, into Dutch crime fiction, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The mystery at the centre of the book was gratifyingly puzzling and Inspector DeKok is a most engaging detective. And although brief (180 pages), it nonetheless managed to offer up not just a tightly plotted mystery but also a solid sense of place and character as we...more
Drew
It's cute. If it weren't for the prostitutes it would almost be a young adult mystery. Inverting the usual pattern of the mystery novels I've read, the solution turns out to be far more innocuous than we're led to expect, rather than more sinister. I'm not going out of my way to read any more of these, but I wouldn't complain about being stuck on a plane with one. (Then again, at under 200 easy-to-read pages I might need two or three to keep me occupied for the whole flight.)
Linda
I quite enjoyed this mystery set in The Netherlands. Dekok is an older detective, smart and calculating. Velland is his younger, impetuous partner. Together they solve the mysterious disappearance of 4 young women who enter a hospital never to be seen again. Dekok is delightful, the other characters are interesting and believable, and the plot is well-structured and just twisty enough. Fun read.
Gina
Interesting mystery set in Amsterdam. A Dutch detective investigates the disappearance of four young women who have gone to a hospital and were never seen again.
Edana Cichanowicz
Found this author via the STOP, YOU'RE KILLING ME website. Want to read everything translated into English. Read this in one sitting on Sunday.
Wilma Milam
Wilma Milam marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Sharonm
Sharonm marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2013
Jolandavos
Jolandavos marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2012
Kim
Kim added it
Jun 25, 2012
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2012
ALBERT CORNELIS BAANTJER is the most widely read author in the Netherlands and has written more than fifty "DeKok" titles. He has also written other fiction and nonfiction and wrote a daily column in a Dutch newspaper. He was an inspector with the Amsterdam Police for thirty-eight years. Baantjer lived in Medemblik, The Netherlands.
More about A.C. Baantjer...
De Cock en een strop voor Bobby (De Cock, #1) De Cock en de wurger op zondag (De Cock, #2) Dekok and the Dead Harlequin (Inspector Dekok) De Cock en het lijk in de kerstnacht (De Cock, #3) De Cock en de moord op Anna Bentveld (De Cock, #4)