Start by marking “DeKok and the Mask of Death” as Want to Read:
DeKok and the Mask of Death

DeKok and the Mask of Death (De Cock #27)

“Baantjer’s laconic, rapid-fire storytelling has spun out a surprisingly complex web of mysteries.”—Kirkus Reviews

“DeKok is a careful, compassionate policeman in the tradition of Maigret; crime fans will enjoy this book.”—Library Journal

In this next book in the popular Inspector DeKok Investigates series, a strange incident leads DeKok to discover the disappearance of a wo
Published June 1st 2009 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about DeKok and the Mask of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DeKok and the Mask of Death

Kate
This book is an installment in Dutch author Baantjer's police procedural series featuring Amsterdam detective Inspector DeKok. It was my first foray into the series and, indeed, into Dutch crime fiction, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The mystery at the centre of the book was gratifyingly puzzling and Inspector DeKok is a most engaging detective. And although brief (180 pages), it nonetheless managed to offer up not just a tightly plotted mystery but also a solid sense of place and character as we ...more
Drew
Oct 30, 2009 Drew rated it it was ok
It's cute. If it weren't for the prostitutes it would almost be a young adult mystery. Inverting the usual pattern of the mystery novels I've read, the solution turns out to be far more innocuous than we're led to expect, rather than more sinister. I'm not going out of my way to read any more of these, but I wouldn't complain about being stuck on a plane with one. (Then again, at under 200 easy-to-read pages I might need two or three to keep me occupied for the whole flight.)
Linda
Jul 12, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this mystery set in The Netherlands. Dekok is an older detective, smart and calculating. Velland is his younger, impetuous partner. Together they solve the mysterious disappearance of 4 young women who enter a hospital never to be seen again. Dekok is delightful, the other characters are interesting and believable, and the plot is well-structured and just twisty enough. Fun read.
Magda
Feb 06, 2016 Magda rated it did not like it
There is no wait queue for this book in the Clarence Regional Library. Always willing to try a new crime writer-especially somewhat dated and translated-I borrowed this tiny tome. Maybe when it was written in the 80's it was good crime reading but it has dated now. Soft in style and pace it will suit your elderly mother. I love the diversity of crime fiction. There's something to suit us all.
Gina
Apr 01, 2010 Gina rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Interesting mystery set in Amsterdam. A Dutch detective investigates the disappearance of four young women who have gone to a hospital and were never seen again.
Edana Cichanowicz
Jun 11, 2012 Edana Cichanowicz rated it really liked it
Found this author via the STOP, YOU'RE KILLING ME website. Want to read everything translated into English. Read this in one sitting on Sunday.
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Carolien
Carolien rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Judie
Judie rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Maria Stoneham
Maria Stoneham rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Peadar
Peadar rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Tommy Verhaegen
Tommy Verhaegen rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Roos
Roos rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Suzanne Arcand
Suzanne Arcand rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Shaun Deane
Shaun Deane rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2013
Hetty
Hetty rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2012
Frans Vlieg
Frans Vlieg rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
noex
noex rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
akaGracie
akaGracie rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
Jeroen Graanstra
Jeroen Graanstra rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2016
Vicky
Vicky rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Rina Vrielink
Rina Vrielink rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Kathe
Kathe rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2009
Cheryl Hurliman
Cheryl Hurliman rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2012
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Dawn
Dawn rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2010
Marjanka
Marjanka rated it liked it
May 05, 2014
Leo
Leo rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
ALBERT CORNELIS BAANTJER is the most widely read author in the Netherlands and has written more than fifty "DeKok" titles. He has also written other fiction and nonfiction and wrote a daily column in a Dutch newspaper. He was an inspector with the Amsterdam Police for thirty-eight years. Baantjer lived in Medemblik, The Netherlands.
More about A.C. Baantjer...

De Cock (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • De Cock en een strop voor Bobby (De Cock, #1)
  • De Cock en de wurger op zondag (De Cock, #2)
  • De Cock en het lijk in de kerstnacht (De Cock, #3)
  • De Cock en de moord op Anna Bentveld (De Cock, #4)
  • Dekok and the Somber Nude
  • Dekok and the Dead Harlequin (Inspector Dekok)
  • DeKok and the Sorrowing Tomcat
  • De Cock en de ontgoochelde dode (De Cock, #8)
  • De Cock en de zorgvuldige moordenaar (De Cock, #9)
  • Dekok And The Romantic Murder (De Kok Mystery)