Start by marking “Sombras no Capim” as Want to Read:
Sombras no Capim

Sombras no Capim

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  471 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ao retomar a história apaixonante da sua vida no Quénia, cuja descrição iniciara no célebre "África minha", Karen Blixen conseguiu realizar em 2Sombras no capim" uma pequena obra-prima, em que ao mesmo tempo perpassa o seu amor pelos Africanos, pela sua dignidade e tradições, bem como a esfuziante beleza da paisagem sertaneja. Redigido entre 1950 e 1960.
Mass Market Paperback, 126 pages
Published 1988 by Dom Quixote (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Sombras no Capim, please sign up.

Shamim E. Haque I have not yet read this book. But judging by the fame that Blixen enjoyed as the author of Out of Africa, it seems to be a very thoughtful book. I am…moreI have not yet read this book. But judging by the fame that Blixen enjoyed as the author of Out of Africa, it seems to be a very thoughtful book. I am quite certain that if its thoughtfulness and a deep reflection on life that you are looking for, you will find it in Karen Blixen, surely in Shadows of Grass. Apparently this was one of her last books. (less)

Rebecka
I probably started with Blixen's books in the wrong end, but nevermind, I really liked this one so I'll just work my way back to her first (and more famous) books!
Cooper Renner
May 13, 2014 Cooper Renner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 more memoir/essays on her life in Africa: frequently quite touching and/or revealing, and always smartly written.
Kharen
Apr 25, 2016 Kharen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kharen by: Truman Capote

A principios del siglo pásado los ingleses estaban estimulando la migración de nacionales a sus colonias en África, para reforzar su presencia y aprovechar recursos y climas más benignos.

La princesa Karen Blixen vivió en Kenia y al regresar a Inglaterra, bajo el seudónimo de Isak Dinesen, dicen que escribió unas hermosas memorias sobre África, de las cuales este librito son solo un pedazo, un comienzo para intentar aprehender otras maneras de entender el universo, los tiempos y las relaciones

"No
Duckpondwithoutducks
This short sequel (well, not really sequel, but additional stories of things that happened during the author's time in Africa) is probably only for people who have read the original book, Out Of Africa. I really enjoy the way that she describes the land and the people with mostly impartial eyes, not in a "isn't this strange?" way, but in a "this is the way it is" manner.
Rachel
Oct 28, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I hate to ever agree with Hemingway on anything I will say that if this book is to be taken as the rule, one should never write about a place until one leaves it, for this book is the distillation of a life carried out passionately. And while I know that it would be natural for a writer to write only the most exciting bits down for posterity. But to write so clearly and passionately about people and places left many years ago, to still see as clear and fresh across, 30 years of age an ...more
Bette Hunter
Aug 08, 2013 Bette Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karen blixen wrote this over thirty years after she left Africa, everything she left there still crystal clear in her mind.
She was a big part of my childhood in Denmark, on the radio and on my parents and all my friends bookshelves. Forever right behind my retina and In my conscience.
I feel I have known her personally all my life. From where she lived in Rungstedlund, (far removed from where I was brought up in inner city Copenhagen), to the seventeen years she lived in Africa.
She lived in thi
Fred Shaw
Feb 11, 2016 Fred Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely stories of Karen Blixen memories of life in Africa, written more than 30 years after she left. In her own way she tells the reader how much she loved it there and how she loved all the people who were part of her life.
Tom
Oct 06, 2014 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
well that was,easy. this really just 4 more,chapters to "Out of Africa", and that's a good thing.
Krisette Spangler
May 30, 2010 Krisette Spangler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Dinesen has such a beautiful way of describing the world around her. Here is my favorite quote from the book.

"After a minute or two I could not help laughing. And as, scrutinizing my face, they caught the change in it, they joined me. One after another all faces around me lightened up and broke in laughter. In the faces of toothless old women a hundred delicate wrinkles screwed up cheeks and chin into a baroque, beaming mask - and they were no longer scars left by the warfare of life, but the tr
Billie Hinton
Feb 05, 2016 Billie Hinton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and illuminating.
Ruthmarie
Jan 11, 2014 Ruthmarie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look back to colonial Africa from a European who truly loves the land and has a somewhat sympathetic understanding of the indigenes but whose views nevertheless retain tinges of Western-colonial superiority. Still, the description of the landscape she loves, and the ways that have passed, is stunning.
Linda Lipko
Jan 28, 2015 Linda Lipko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Bonnie
Mar 25, 2016 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cbr8
Blixen (pseudonym Isak Dinesen) is a good writer, but she definitely carries a colonial lens over her time in Africa. This was not at all my favorite.
Janna
Feb 10, 2009 Janna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book continues the experiences of Isak Dinesen, author of Out of Africa. Written near the end of her life, 30 years after she left Africa, this volume features Dinesen's beautiful prose and the added perspective of the passage of time.
Mamdouh Abdullah
Jun 06, 2013 Mamdouh Abdullah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ظلال على الحشائش هو مكمل لراحلة من أفريقيا، سيرة ذاتية مخصصة لخدم إيزاك داينسن وتعاملها معهم والصورة النمطية للأفريقي عند الأوروبي. يحتوي هذا الكتاب الصغير على أربع مقالات وليس قصص قصيرة كما ذكر في مقدمة الطبعة العربية.
Maughn Gregory
Here are several incredible stories that didn't make it into "Out of Africa," news about what happened to the people in that book after KB left Kenya, and glimpses into her life during WWII, in German-occupied Denmark.
Sharon
Mar 03, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read as long as you have read Out of Africa, which is a wonderful book and a fantastic movie. Without that premise, these stories don't really have any meaning.
Sanna
Mar 16, 2014 Sanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad that I chose to read this book. I might read this again, just to feel the magic of it again.
Mumbler
a good follow-up and supplement. not the disappointment that so many such returns are.
John
Jan 04, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
life in africa 1920s well written danish author who also wrote out of africa
Cate
Apr 01, 2009 Cate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: african
beautiful insight into life in Africa, which is as true today as it was then
Mary Ann
Aug 04, 2013 Mary Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.....
Dec 26, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenya-1999-2004
See the review of Out of Africa.
أحمد جمال سعد الدين
لطيفة بشكل عام
Erica
Erica is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Laurie-Ève
Laurie-Ève marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Nóinín
Nóinín rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
  • Going Home
  • Gods and Soldiers: The Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
  • Løgnhalsen fra Umbrien
  • Tick Bite Fever
Pseudonym used by the Danish author Karen Blixen.

Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke (Danish: [kʰɑːɑn ˈbleɡsn]; 17 April 1885 – 7 September 1962), née Karen Christenze Dinesen, was a Danish author, also known by the pen name Isak Dinesen, who wrote works in Danish, French and English. She also at times used the pen names Tania Blixen, Osceola, and Pierre Andrézel.
Blixen is best known for Out of Afri
More about Isak Dinesen...

“Der kom en vederkvægende ro, en dyb fred og fryd over mig, det var som når en feber ophører. "Her," tænkte jeg, "kan jeg blive.” 3 likes