Start by marking “Sombras no Capim” as Want to Read:
Sombras no Capim

Sombras no Capim

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  392 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Ao retomar a história apaixonante da sua vida no Quénia, cuja descrição iniciara no célebre "África minha", Karen Blixen conseguiu realizar em 2Sombras no capim" uma pequena obra-prima, em que ao mesmo tempo perpassa o seu amor pelos Africanos, pela sua dignidade e tradições, bem como a esfuziante beleza da paisagem sertaneja. Redigido entre 1950 e 1960.
Mass Market Paperback, 126 pages
Published 1988 by Dom Quixote (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Sombras no Capim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sombras no Capim

Rebecka
I probably started with Blixen's books in the wrong end, but nevermind, I really liked this one so I'll just work my way back to her first (and more famous) books!
Cooper Renner
4 more memoir/essays on her life in Africa: frequently quite touching and/or revealing, and always smartly written.
Duckpondwithoutducks
This short sequel (well, not really sequel, but additional stories of things that happened during the author's time in Africa) is probably only for people who have read the original book, Out Of Africa. I really enjoy the way that she describes the land and the people with mostly impartial eyes, not in a "isn't this strange?" way, but in a "this is the way it is" manner.
Rachel
As much as I hate to ever agree with Hemingway on anything I will say that if this book is to be taken as the rule, one should never write about a place until one leaves it, for this book is the distillation of a life carried out passionately. And while I know that it would be natural for a writer to write only the most exciting bits down for posterity. But to write so clearly and passionately about people and places left many years ago, to still see as clear and fresh across, 30 years of age an ...more
Bette Hunter
Karen blixen wrote this over thirty years after she left Africa, everything she left there still crystal clear in her mind.
She was a big part of my childhood in Denmark, on the radio and on my parents and all my friends bookshelves. Forever right behind my retina and In my conscience.
I feel I have known her personally all my life. From where she lived in Rungstedlund, (far removed from where I was brought up in inner city Copenhagen), to the seventeen years she lived in Africa.
She lived in thi
Tom
well that was,easy. this really just 4 more,chapters to "Out of Africa", and that's a good thing.
Krisette Spangler
Dinesen has such a beautiful way of describing the world around her. Here is my favorite quote from the book.

"After a minute or two I could not help laughing. And as, scrutinizing my face, they caught the change in it, they joined me. One after another all faces around me lightened up and broke in laughter. In the faces of toothless old women a hundred delicate wrinkles screwed up cheeks and chin into a baroque, beaming mask - and they were no longer scars left by the warfare of life, but the tr
Ruthmarie
A look back to colonial Africa from a European who truly loves the land and has a somewhat sympathetic understanding of the indigenes but whose views nevertheless retain tinges of Western-colonial superiority. Still, the description of the landscape she loves, and the ways that have passed, is stunning.
Janna
This book continues the experiences of Isak Dinesen, author of Out of Africa. Written near the end of her life, 30 years after she left Africa, this volume features Dinesen's beautiful prose and the added perspective of the passage of time.
Mamdouh Abdullah
ظلال على الحشائش هو مكمل لراحلة من أفريقيا، سيرة ذاتية مخصصة لخدم إيزاك داينسن وتعاملها معهم والصورة النمطية للأفريقي عند الأوروبي. يحتوي هذا الكتاب الصغير على أربع مقالات وليس قصص قصيرة كما ذكر في مقدمة الطبعة العربية.
Maughn Gregory
Here are several incredible stories that didn't make it into "Out of Africa," news about what happened to the people in that book after KB left Kenya, and glimpses into her life during WWII, in German-occupied Denmark.
Sharon
This is a fun read as long as you have read Out of Africa, which is a wonderful book and a fantastic movie. Without that premise, these stories don't really have any meaning.
Sanna
I'm glad that I chose to read this book. I might read this again, just to feel the magic of it again.
John
life in africa 1920s well written danish author who also wrote out of africa
Cate
beautiful insight into life in Africa, which is as true today as it was then
Mary Ann
What a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.....
See the review of Out of Africa.
Katya
Katya marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Summer
Summer is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Niska
Niska marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kimly Coleman
Kimly Coleman marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Maria Jensen
Maria Jensen marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
  • Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller
  • The Splendid Outcast: Beryl Markham's African Stories
  • The Mottled Lizard
  • Hopes and Impediments: Selected Essays
  • Liberty
  • Sweet and Sour Milk (Variations on the Theme of An African Dictatorship, #1)
  • Whites
  • A Fanatic Heart
  • Death in Venice and Other Stories
  • Nurse On Call: The True Story of a 1950s District Nurse
  • Gods and Soldiers: The Penguin Anthology of Contemporary African Writing
Karen Christence Dinesen, Baroness Blixen-Finecke - wrote as Isak Dinesen, Pierre Andrézel, other pseudonyms: Tania Blixen, Osceola, etc.
A Danish writer, who mixed in her work supernatural elements, aestheticism, and erotic undertones with an aristocratic view of life, Blixen always emphasized that she was a storyteller in the traditional, oral sense of the word. She drew her inspiration from the
More about Karen Blixen...
Out of Africa Out of Africa / Shadows on the Grass Babette's Feast Babette's Feast & Other Anecdotes of Destiny Letters from Africa, 1914-1931

“Der kom en vederkvægende ro, en dyb fred og fryd over mig, det var som når en feber ophører. "Her," tænkte jeg, "kan jeg blive.” 3 likes