Start by marking “Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)” as Want to Read:
Passion to Die For (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1579)

Passion to Die For (Calloway Brothers - Copper Lake #5)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  331 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"I wish to God you were dead."

Little did Ellie Chase know those would be the last words she ever spoke to her estranged mother. When Martha's body was found the next morning, all eyes were on Ellie... who couldn't remember what she'd done that night. So when Tommy Maricci—the man she refused to let herself love came to her rescue, she couldn't say no.

Tommy believed in his
Published October 1st 2009 by Silhouette (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Passion to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passion to Die For

Ellie Chase thought she was safe in the little town, where the only pain she had to endure was watch her ex-boyfriend bring another woman to dinner at her restaurant.

But the evening wasn't over yet. Fate had another surprise in store for Ellie, a ghost from her past. A ghost that could and surely would destroy everything Ellie has worked so hard to obtain.

Well, this book is great proof why you should stick with something until the very end (or at least until the middle). Because it started so sl
Stuart Aken
This romance is more than a mere love story, otherwise, as a man, I wouldn't have read it. With its undertones of menace, thread of injustice, mystery to be solved and unspoken comments on small town American life this is a novel that should attract readers from both genders and all adult age ranges.
The characters are alive and, whether nasty or nice, cynical or naive, beautiful or ugly, they portray traits we can all both recognise and empathise with. The main story, of unrequited love, is inte
Mrs. Missive
The troublesome past smacked into the lead characters before we really got a chance to know them in my opinion. And with how serious the tone was the love scenes seemed a little cheesy. I finished it to find out what happened, but it wan't a fun journey.
Ellie Chase has been running from her past for as long as she can remember. She moved to a small town, started her own restuarant, and fell in love with Tommy Maricci. But, no matter how much she has turned her life around, she can't let the past rest and move on. Which pretty much cost her her relationship with Tommy. But suddenly, Tommy notices a strange woman talking with Ellie and notices the fact that she doesn't look happy talking to the woman. When the woman suddenly turns up dead and Ell ...more
This one was short and sweet. I learned not to judge a book by it's cover. After taking a good look at that overdramatic picture, I thought for sure that I wouldn't get past the first chapter. But I was wrong. It held my curiosity throughout and it was certainly a mystery I didn't easily solve. I would have changed who the killer was and I probably wouldn't have dedicated an entire chapter to lovemaking. However, I did keep in mind that it was a Harlequin romance and that was to be expected. I'd ...more
3 1/2 stars
this book really was a surprise. i got it for free for kindle and read it through in one day.

honestly you can't compare it to those high-prized thrillers that hit the bestseller list but it was nice and got everything my romance and suspense-loving heart craves.

You have a strong male lead character and a female lead that got a lot of dark secrets in her past.
The dark past slowly emerges and affects the heroines present life.
There's a murder and the lead gets prime suspect - yesss!

it w
May Mostly Romance
เลมทีหาในชุดคะ และกเปนการหากินตามรูปแบบนะคะ คือเมือหมดพีนองในตระกูลคัลโลเวยแลว กเริมเอาเพือนพองของคนในตระกูลนีมาเปนตัวเอง ในเลมกอนหนาทอมมี มาริกกี เปนนายตำรวจประจำกรมตำรวจแหงเมืองคอปเปอร เลค เพือนสนิทของหนุม ๆ ในตระกูลคัลโลเวย

เปนเวลาหาปีแลวทีทอมมีหลงรักแอลลี เชส เจาของรานอาหารในเมืองคอปเปอร เลค เขาเคยคิดวา จะทำใหเธอใจออน และยอมแตงงานกับเขาไดในทีสุด แตแอลลีกลับทำทุกอยางเพือปฏิเสธเขา ทังคูคบกัน และเลิกกันหลายตอหลายครัง เพราะไมอาจตัดใจจากกันได แตในขณะเดียวกัน กมีอะไรบางอยางในใจของแอลลีทีทำใหเธอไมอ
For the most part this was an enjoyable and intriguing book. I was surprised I continued with it though because there was some serious formatting issues with my copy. It made it difficult at times to read the book. And if that's the quality of ebook I should expect from Harlequins website, then I won't be getting any from them again. Anyway, the pacing was excellent in this story and I was hooked from the start, a real page-turner. I was also surprised with that, because I did not care for the m ...more
This was a free PDF from Harlequin, and I wish they offered freebies in formats other than PDF. They don't read very well on my Nook —the blocks and lines of text get broken up in odd places from the reflowing. It's not pretty, and it makes it hard to read and fully enjoy the book.

That said, this was a pretty good romantic suspense. It's set in a somewhat small town, and a very respectable heroine has a shady past, which makes her pull away from the man she loves, who happens to be a cop. The pl
Amanda Chalifoux
May 31, 2012 Amanda Chalifoux rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes romance books.
Recommended to Amanda by: no one saw it at walmart.
This book was GREAT I recommend it to everyone that loves romance stories. It is about a women named Ellie Chase and how she got into trouble as a kid & got kicked out of her house at only 15. She lived on the streets doing anything means possible to get money for food and a roof over her head. She then changed her named and moved to a place where she felt at home and didn't tell no one her life story. She bought herself a restaurant and a lovely little home. She still couldn't or didn't thi ...more
Kindle Freebie (I think?).

I actually really enjoyed this one. Harlequin serials can be a little hit or miss for me, but usually the Suspense ones are a solid bet. At first I was a little frustrated with the leads. The male, Tommy, seemed a little bit of a jerk, and I wanted to strangle the female, Ellie, for being so untrusting.

But then the story started to unfold, and then everyone's motivations became clear. I wasn't able to guess who the "bad guy" was, but there were definitely some red flag
2.5 stars (C-)

OK it was free so I shouldn't complain, but I expected much better from Ms. Pappano. This one just did not work for me. The heroine was too weak. The mystery/suspense was just blah. The heroine had a horrific back story but I just could not stir myself to care or empathize which is not like me.
Ok book. I had a really tough time with a hero named Tommy. Shallow? Yes. But there it is.

I liked the premise, liked the background stories. I even understood why Ellie acted the way she did. But I had a hard time with how quickly her revelations mAde her feel worthy of love. It should take at least 2 days, not just a few hours, right? Kidding people. Anyway, I also had a hard time with who the villain was. It just seemed so unlikely and they were so devoid o feeling. It didn't quite sit right.
Zee Monodee
Didn't find the heroine engaging, which kinda bombed the story for me, sadly
Ellie Chase started a new life in the Copper Lake community but her past comes back to haunt her. Tommy Maricci dated Ellie but finally called it quits. Ellie had too many secrets and was unwilling to let Tommy in. Now all her secrets will be revealed.

I give this 3 1/2 stars. It wasn't bad but I felt there was information not delivered to the reader in a timely matter. I didn't really connect to the characters like I wanted to either. This may be because the couple was already established and we
Sherri Hayes
The author did a great job building the suspense, and I didn't figure out who was behind everything until around the same time the characters themselves did. Although the beginning felt a little slow, once things got going I realized that the pacing was necessary. The H&h have a history, and that plays a key role in the story itself. My only real complaint is that I wish there would have been more romantic interaction between the H&h. I would definitely read more of Marilyn Pappano's wor ...more
Dec 19, 2012 Mary marked it as to-read
Loved Loved this book. The storyline was very diffrent and refreashing, and I was reading as fast as I could to find out what happened next. I could not believe the mother (martha) in the story and how mean she was to her daughter (ellie) and heartless. Most romance novels don't include a mother with such a coldhearted nature, and this was very refreshing and engaging. I will be reading more from this author because I enjoyed this book so much.
i first read this book years ago, as part of a series that i followed, and when this book was offered as a kindle freebie, i grabbed it and re-read it! both H/h are appealing characters, with their share of oh-so-human foibles, and the heroine is running scared when her past finds her. the hero is surprisingly accepting of what the heroine has been though in her past, and helps her find her place in his future.
Took ages to get into. Few interesting bits in the middle that could have been so much better if the protagonist was a bit more personal. Not that there wasn't anything to like, you just didn't feel enough for her to be sympathetic enough. The end drama was good, but there wasn't even a reunion! And a pathetic ending.
This is the first book I read by Marilyn Pappano. It grabbed my interest from the beginning. I felt sorry for Ellie. I was really glad Ellie had Tommy by her side for support. Ellie's mother is a piece of crap. This book was a great romance suspense to read. I would read more books by this author.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
It's like a Hallmark movie premise met a romance with sex and fornicated. Not sex, nit made love, not fucked...fornicated. Perfunctory, weird, glimmers of promise only to have to fake it, fornicating.
A good romance suspense story!Simply love reading it and like how the relationship between Tommy and Ellie is. Only the epilogue is short and wish it was a bit more longer . Anyway it was an enjoyable read!
The title is misleading. It's an interesting story about a girl who's life gone bad but she manages to survive and turn it around, only to have her past catch up with her.
This is a good solid read. It has romace and suspense. Two of my favorite things. Paired together, they made a great story. I shall try more of her books!
More like 3 1/2 Stars. So much happened so many emotions and goodness what a survivor Ellie proved to be.
Started out very intriguing got a little exciting but ended a little too happy for me.
Highly addicting suspense story, sweet romance between a cop and a restaurant owner
Omefa Garraway
pretty coo book not what i expected but it was really good.
great one loved it kept you going till the end
Aug 14, 2010 Laula added it
well written and captivating. love the twist!!
  • The New Deputy in Town (Whitehorse Montana, #2)
  • Emergency: Wife Lost and Found
  • Price of Passion
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress (Ruthless)
  • Cold Turkey (Events Unlimited, #1)
  • Speed Dating (Harlequin NASCAR, #2)
  • Too Close for Comfort (Loveswept)
  • Dancing In The Moonlight (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #2)
  • The Rebel Doctor's Bride
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • Once A Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • Triple Threat
  • Neighbors and More (High Rise #1)
  • High Seas Deception
  • A Taste of Romance
  • Dangerous Kisses
  • Playing Love's Odds

Calloway Brothers - Copper Lake (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • One Stormy Night
  • Forbidden Stranger
  • Intimate Enemy
  • Scandal in Copper Lake
  • Criminal Deception (Silhouette Romantic Suspense #1591)
  • Protector's Temptation
  • Copper Lake Secrets
  • In the Enemy's Arms
  • Copper Lake Confidential
  • Copper Lake Encounter

“I’m married, honey. My social life consists of work, church, taxiing the kids around and trying to schedule sex with my husband at least once a month.” 2 likes