Start by marking “Lawnboy” as Want to Read:
Lawnboy

Lawnboy

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Lawnboy is, quite simply, the real thing, a novel of mystery and great beauty." —Michael Cunningham

They all thought I was good-natured, upright and responsible, generous, affectionate, and kind, and of course I could be those things, but there was much more to me than that, a side that unnerved even myself, and this side included William.

Seventeen-year-old Evan’s advent
Published June 27th 2006 by Graywolf Press (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Lawnboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lawnboy

Michael Armijo
I read this book in a matter of three days. First of all, I was intrigued by the Title when it was recommended to me. It was Recommended to those who enjoyed THE HOURS by Michael Cunningham.

I had LAWNBOY sitting on my bookshelf for a few months until I finally decided to get into it when I noticed a review on the backcover by Michael Cunningham, the reknown author. He described it as a novel of mystery and great beauty. Now that I've finished reading LAWNBOY I can say that I did enjoy it and, m
michelle
Adding Mark Doty's book reminded me how much I loved this one. (They are cute boyfriends who I waited on all the time in P-town.) One of the things I like about queer fag fiction that is from a time before the queer visibility that we "enjoy", is that due to the the secret nature of being queer, the opportunites the characters have to understand and experiment with identity often feel so uncomfortable that you want to judge them. But it is always important to remind yourself of a situation's con ...more
Shannon
Jun 16, 2007 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: "the gays"
Shelves: queer
Well written, but not amazing. Didn't really go anywhere. But it is gaytastic.
Lewis
This is the beautifully written story of a lost boy. Misunderstood by his family and uncertain where he belongs in the world, he drifts from one situation to another—in constant search of love and himself. He begins by finding a father figure/lover—an older man whose heart is sealed off. Later, he wanders into the world of his estranged brother and becomes the lover of his brother’s friend. In each case, Evan’s world subconsciously revolves around manifestation of family, as if he believes he ca ...more
Sara Habein
Is it fair to compare one writer to another? Is the comparison ever quite right? Blurbs for Lawnboy compared Paul Lisicky to Michael Cunningham (The Hours, A Home at The End of the World, etc.), and the cover even boasted a blurb from Cunningham himself. While certainly flattering, how does Lawnboy compare?

Non-straight characters? Check.
Coming of age/awakening type plot? Check.
Complicated romance? Checkity-check-check.

But couldn’t one say this about plenty of other books? Francesca Lia Block als
James Alton Moody
May 16, 2008 James Alton Moody rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gay boys, Florida boys
Recommended to James Alton by: West Hollywood Library
Loved the older man/younger boy affair. Struck home, really nailed some of my experiences. Actually that reminds me of a lesson learned I have to do something about...
The biggest success of this book is not character development or story line, but the creation of Florida and its natural/human environments as prominent and real figures. I've never been there myself but I sure feel like I have a true sense of the place: its decay, its promise, its beauty, and its oppressive weather.
Marco
Angsty and Emo-ish. This would have been a typical coming-of-age gay novel. Except it isn't. It's far deeper than I can dig. Far better and metaphorical than I can understand. this is something I probably will reread when I'm feeling more literary.
Bart
This was a good read. It treads well-worn ground but does it in a very fresh and occasionally quite insightful way. I wonder what the author went on to write after this. He produced some passages of incredibly beautiful writing.
Robert Vaughan
A coming-of-age story with a gay protagonist, in some ways feels unlikely, but the writing is lush, and descriptively beautiful. A fast paced book, and reads as rapidly.
Jay Z
I suspect that Mark Doty's brilliance is the main reason people go wandering hopefully towards Paul Lisicky. Turn back, peeps. Nothing to see here.
Cheryl
Took a class with Paul so this brought another dimension to my understanding of the book.
Captivating coming of age story.
Jim
Nevermind what it says on the back cover. It's a slow, drama queen type of read.
Beth
Jan 23, 2011 Beth rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: glbt
I couldn't get past the first twenty pages or so--the pedophilia was too much for me.
Dennis Fischman
Elizabeth McCracken put her finger on it: "hilarious longing" of a gay teen.
James Schwartz
Rereading this classic novel by Paul Lisicky. Very absorbing.
Judy
Mark Doty's partner in crime is a good read so far.
Stephanie Austin
This book blew my fucking mind.
Greg Wolfson
funny, smart, deep
Kalen
*** 1/2
Kevin L.
Kevin L. marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Cdmr9816
Cdmr9816 marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Rino
Rino added it
Feb 25, 2015
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Corvid
Corvid marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Tiara
Tiara marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
  • Letters to Montgomery Clift (Working Classics)
  • Looking For It
  • Breakfast with Scot
  • Arkansas: Three Novellas
  • The Abomination
  • The Night We Met
  • Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)
  • Farewell to the Sea: A Novel of Cuba
  • Latter Days
  • The First Verse
  • Nothing Pink
PAUL LISICKY is the author of Lawnboy, Famous Builder, and the forthcoming books The Burning House (2011) and Unbuilt Projects (2012). His work has appeared in Ploughshares, The Iowa Review, StoryQuarterly, The Seattle Review, Five Points, Subtropics, Gulf Coast, and many other anthologies and magazines. A graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, he’s the recipient of awards from the National Endow ...more
More about Paul Lisicky...
Famous Builder The Burning House Unbuilt Projects Flash Fiction: 72 Very Short Stories Fool For Love: New Gay Fiction