1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book

1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  46 reviews
An acclaimed picture book, now an enchanting board book. One little girl wakes up to a fairy-tale world. She spies two dancing feet from the Golden Goose tale, three hungry bears just meeting Goldilocks, and four royal mattresses between the princess and the pea. With many objects to count on each colorful page, 1 2 3 is perfect for children learning their numbers 1 though...more
Board Book, 30 pages
Published September 17th 2009 by Dutton Juvenile (first published September 6th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book

Miriam
This is a nice book. I don't know how it works didactically (that is, I don't know when babies start learning numbers, but I suspect it is younger than when they would recognize all these fairy tales, but I'm not sure) but it was very pleasant in tone and I like the illustrations, which were in the style of old-fashioned paintings on wood (like, Early American? Primitivist? Not sure what it's called).

There are lots of details so it would probably still be interesting for kids who are already nu...more
Heather
I like the illustrations, I thin they would be really pretty to decorate a baby or child's room.
Rhiannon Hubble
1. Genre: Counting

2. This book is about a young girl who falls asleep reading fairy tales and sees all of her favorite fairy tale characters, while dreaming about counting.

3. A. Area for comment: Connections

B. This book is fabulous in that it connects many fairy tale characters to the concept of counting. Because these characters are familiar to the little girl in the story, she is more inclined to count because it is fun and exciting. She is more likely to view numbers and counting as an activ...more
Rachel
A sleeping girl dreams of classic story lines involving numbers: the three pigs, the seven beans for a magic beanstalk, four frog princes, etc. This book counts one to ten and then back again.

The illustrations in this book were vibrant yet muted by an overlay of the look of crackled paint. Those fine details seemed to lend age to the illustrations and helped the reader go back in time. Classic stories simplified to entice young readers: what a perfect compliment to a simple book.
Sarah Sammis
1 2 3 A Child's First Counting Book by Alison Jay is an imaginative book that teaches children their numbers one to nine, counting up and down. It does this against a backdrop of a girls walk through a wonderland populated by sixteen different but familiar fairy tales.

When my daughter and I read the book we took three passes through the book. The first time we read the story and counted the numbers. Along the way Harriet began to notice some of the fairy tales.

On the second time through we tried...more
Jen Zuvella
The book 1 2 3 A Child’s First Counting Book made it easy to relate the words to the pictures. I liked how once we counted up to the number ten it started to count back down to one, which shows students that counting goes in both directions. I also liked how the book took pictures from sixteen different fairytales and made it into one counting book that any kid could understand. One downside of the book using sixteen different fairytales as the pictures is there isn’t one story that students cou...more
Jenny D
This book counts characters from children’s fairy tales (e.g. 3 little pigs, 4 frog princes, etc.). It is best used for kindergarten students who are first learning to count to ten. One downside to the book is that it does not have a story; it relies on students’ prior knowledge of fairy tales. However, unlike many counting books, which simply count upwards, this book counts up to 10 and then back down, showing students that counting can go in both directions. To use the book in class, it would...more
Rachel
I first picked out this book for my son because he is working on remembering numbers and how to count, but also because I love Alison Jay’s crackled illustrations. This book features a young girl who falls asleep and dreams she is in the world of fairy tales, and starts counting things like “three little pigs” and “seven magic beans”. The pictures are interesting enough to entertain the kids and the parents reading it to them. The back of the book features a page that lists all the fairy tales f...more
Candice
Dec 31, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
My picture book project is at an end today and this is a good book to end with. I picked it up for my granddaughter who is 1 1/2 and she loves it. She keeps asking to read the sun book because there is a big sun on the cover. It is a lovely counting book that will grow with her as she begins to learn her fairy tales. It starts with one little girl going to sleep and progresses to ten and then back to one little girl waking up. The pages in between all have fairy tale characters - three pigs, six...more
Adrienne
This is a counting book based on fairy tales. There must be 20 different traditional stories represented as this girl dreams her way from one to twenty and back. My daughter (4) and I loved this book. At first when I read it she just watched while I counted the different things on the page. Then once we realized the different fun layers to this book we read it again and again to find the cute little clues the illustrations give you about what's coming next. Also, and I'm not going to give this b...more
Jane
Jan 12, 2008 Jane rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves fairytales, folktlales and traditional nursery rhymes.
My choice for Caldecott for 2008. What first seems like a simple counting books becomes much more interesting as the reader realizes that a magical goose is taking a sleeping young girl to places from nursery rhymes and fairy tales. Within each page the reader can look for characters or images from the tales and rhymes. Kids will have a great time finding all the many numbered things on each spread. They will also enjoy looking for the picture hints of the next destination. The crackled subdued...more
Kasey Hughes
This book is extremely unique when it comes to counting books. They use stories from many old fairy tales, such as Cinderella, The Three Little Pigs and Beauty and the Beast. The only problem is the child would have to read the words one, two, three instead of seeing 1, 2, and 3. I wish instead of words the authors would have used the actual numbers because it would make it easier for the child to realize the connection. The illistrations are outstanding though, and easy for the child to easily...more
Sarai
This story counts its way through familiar fairy tales - a golden goose with two soaring wings, three little pigs, etc. It counts up to 10 and then back down again.

I picked this one up, again, because of the nice big sunshine cover art. I enjoyed the pictures inside quite a bit, and a page at the back shows the tales each drawing refers to.

Recommended for ages 4-8. I would think it could be introduced sooner.
The Library Lady
Describing this as a child's first counting book is a mistake--this is not something that would interest very small children. And I don't like the art technique with the cracking.It's not attractive, just distracting and makes this even less young child friendly.
That said, older children (preschool and early elementary) will enjoy identifying fairy tale characters and objects in the sets of objects to count on each page.
Amanda
Another required book on my kids reading list. While they have known how to count for a while, this book presents counting in a most imaginative way. First of all, Alison Jay is an amazing illustrator -- her work is simply inspiring. For each number, a different fairy tale was drawn to accompany it. So even if your kids know how to count, like mine, you can riddle them on the fairy tales...
Jennifer Warrick Davis
My 5 year old son recently brought this book home from his school library. We have sat a read the book several times in a single sitting. The book is counting from 1 to 10 and 10 to 1. It has beautiful illustrations that come from some of his favorite fairy tales. He enjoyed the pictures and counting the objects.

Originally posted on The Mystical World of Book Reviews
Nicole Holden
This is a cute and simple book to introduce counting to pre-k students. I love the way the number and the spelling of the number is illustrated on each page. I would have the students count each object that is displayed on the page. This book has cute children's fairy tales characters like the 3 little pigs, etc.

Beautiful book! My daughter is going through a big fairy tale phase right now, and she loves paging through the book and pointing out which story belongs to the illustration. I love it for the story within the story - it could be used for what it is (a counting book), or to make up a story using the illustrations.
Dianna
This counting book goes from one to ten and then back to one again. It uses fairy tales, so if you're a fan, you'll like this book. There's a key at the back so you can guess the fairy tale on each page. I love Alison Jay's illustrations.
Davida
Beautifully illustrated with old-looking, crackly paint pictures and very cool connections from number to number with a variety of fairy tales. Makes it fun for the reader and the person being read to, as there is lots to look at and look for!
Amy Brown
Dec 02, 2007 Amy Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairytales, counting
Shelves: k-3rdgrade
This book is beautiful. Each page refers to another fairytale and there are multiple things to count on each page as well. It's just a beautiful counting book with lots of things for parents and children to talk about as the look through it.
K
A neat little counting book. I did really appreciate the different layers - the plot of the book, the objects to count, as well as the references to all the fairy tales. It's definitely a counting book suited for numerous readings.
Linda Costello
Each page of this counting book refers to a common fairy tale. They are the dreams of one little girl sleeping. The illustratiions are beautiful. The very last page lists what fairy tail the pages are refering too!
Carol
Very cool and quirky illustrations using a great color palette. A unique concept book that not only involves counting, but guessing what fairy tales are being represented.
Daniel
The words and counting are a trivial part of the book; not unimportant though. The artwork shines as it intertwines fairy tales past into new fairy tales and colorful stories.
Angela
This is a gorgeous counting book. Each page uses an illustration of a scene in a famous fairy tale to introduce the next number. So beautiful!
Melanie
Fun fairy tale / nursery rhyme illustrations that emphasize counting. Definitely want to get this book again when we work on counting more indepth.
Hannah Faulconer
Alia
I really like the fairy tale spin on the usual counting book but the illustrations seem like they belong in a picture book for much older children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Alison Jay was born in Hertfordshire, grew up in Derbyshire and studied graphic design in London where she now lives. After graduating she worked in animation for a short while but gradually started to get commissions in illustration. She works in Alkyd a quick drying oil paint on paper and sometimes adds a crackle varnish to give the work an aged appearance. She has worked in all areas of illustr...more
More about Alison Jay...
ABC: A Child's First Alphabet Book Welcome to the Zoo! Red, Green, Blue: A First Book of Colors Picture This The Nutcracker