Start by marking “However Long & Hard the Road” as Want to Read:
However Long & Hard the Road

However Long & Hard the Road

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  44 reviews

"Often in our most difficult times the only thing we can do is endure. We may have no idea what the final cost in suffering or sacrifice may be, but we can vow never to give up. In doing so we will learn that there is no worthy task so great nor burden so heavy that will not yield to our perseverance. We can make it...however long and hard the road."

So writes Elder Jeffre

Published September 1st 2002 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about However Long & Hard the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about However Long & Hard the Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Road Not Taken and Other Poems by Robert FrostThe Road to Wigan Pier by George OrwellThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Roads
78th out of 164 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Lowell
Chapter 3 is titled "The Inconvenient Messiah", and by itself is one of the greatest things I have ever read. The fact that virtually everything in this book maintains that same quality is astounding.

All of these can be found in an extended format on the BYU Speeches website, with MP3 files available of when each sermon was presented. Reading these fantastic; listening to Elder Holland's vocal delivery elevates it to an even higher level.
Donna
Jeffrey Holland is one of my all-time favorite speakers and writers. Whenever I'm feeling a little down trodden or pressed in by worldly cares, he seems to lift me right out of that and reminds me of what is truly the most important thing.
Bryce
Excellent read. I obviously took my time with this one, reading a page or two here and there. No matter how much or little I read though, I always left thinking a little deeper and I felt like I got a lot from this smaller book by Elder Holland.
Jodi
Dec 14, 2010 Jodi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
This book is a collection of talks. I had a hard time rating this book because there were some chapters I really liked and others that I struggled to get through. I first got the book because I thought it was all about facing trials and enduring through difficult times. The first couple chapters were just that, and I enjoyed them. But I felt like most of the book focused on sinning and repentance and reminded me a bit of The Miracle of Forgiveness, which isn't a bad thing, but just not what I wa ...more
Jenny
I read this at the right time. I was searching for answers for a friend but found my own spirit comforted and encouraged as I read.

Michele
I loved this book! Read it in one afternoon...a Sunday. Is there anyone who can validate where we are in our personal lives and lift us to see the 'more' that we can have and be, than Elder Jeffrey R. Holland? This was a sweet, poignant book that encouraged me to look at the things I get to repent of while making me know the Lord loves me completely just the way I am. Loved it!
Craig
A wonderful look (through the scriptures and other illustrations) at how the Savior's love (and through his Atonement), the difficulties of life occasioned by sin, affliction, infirmity, mistakes and the like that beset us in mortality can be borne and turned to our good and can be for our experience through faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and his plan of salvation.
Laurel
I love Brother Holland's colorful realistic way of speaking and writing. This book is a collection of talks he gave while serving as the President of BYU. He has edited them to bring them more up-to-date. These talks help strengthen anyone going through difficult times. Or helpful for someone who wants to find ways to support others going through trials.
Melissa Lowry
This is the type of book that makes you stop and take a good hard look at yourself. You cant help but read into every sentence as if it were directed purposefully at you. It talked of hope, perseverance and God. All things being ever directed towards God. I think its insightful on its own. And with the right attitude perfectly inspired.
Darci Gardner
Jeffrey R. Holland always has a way of sharing what I really need to hear. This book is no exception. Every time I re-read this I get something new out of it. It isn't boring. It doesn't feel like you are reading some boring church talk or general conference talk. This book is excellent.
Mandy
A MUST READ! I have used this book through my time at BYU, a mission, marriage, seminary, and almost every aspect of my life. It has valuable insights and lessons in every talk. I draw faith and strength from his insights. If you do not own this book...you should.
Tracy
This was really wonderful! Though all the material was new to me (it was published long ago), it had the same quality as his General Conference talks. It was profound, inspirational, and completely engaging. I'm going to read all of his books now. :)
Rebecca
This is probably one of my favoirte books. It was a book I found of my Dad's, and it followed me since I moved away from home. dad, if you ever wondered where it went, I have that and your doctrines of salvation (only one volumne)
Kendra
I received this for Mother's Day and needed it and used it for a talk in my church almost immediately. I love Elder Holland. This book had many talks I had never read before and the collaborations with his wife were great!
Cynthia
Elder Holland is so very good with words. I finished this book and felt a renewed sense of hope and strength to keep traveling down my own long and hard roads. I appreciate books that have that kind of power.
Jessica
This has been my "Sunday Read" the past few weeks. It was a wonderful collection of talks/addresses given by Elder Holland during his time at BYU. They were really insightful and inspiring...of course!
Kris
There are times when I am weary. Elder Holland's straight forward, practical voice rings through his writing and reilluminates the path and gives me the moral boost necessary for the journey ahead.
Mari
Love Elder Holland's humility and intelligence within this book. Favorite parts: chapter on marriage to BYU students and his amazing insight into Peter and his relationship with Jesus.
Makamae
Superb book on never giving up on yourself and having faith that Jesus Christ isn't just enough, but He is everything and can give us the ultimate forgiveness for things we do wrong.
Michelle
This is a collection of talks - some of which are in other books. However, I never tire of reading his words. Elder Holland has a way of phrasing language that speaks to me and inspires me.
Nick
This is a collection of talks given by Jeffrey R. Holland about persevering through life's trials. I recommend to anyone who has struggled or is struggling through life's challenges.
Sandy T
This is a collection of talks/essays from Elder Holland's years as president of BYU. In my opinion, he is genius at putting words together to inspire. Wish I could do that...
Randi
I LOVED this book. It is a collection of talks/devotionals by Elder Holland when he was President of BYU. It was very good. One that I would read over and over.
Livi
Wonderful. Written with great references to historical, literary and current events and people. Easy to follow the reasoning. Uplifting to say the least.
Katie
A great collection of devotional addresses from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland. Needed it when I began reading it, and will reference it often.
Lindsey
This is a great compilation of talks from Elder Holland. I especially liked the last one (chapter 10) for which the book was named.
Heather
I love Elder Hollands way of explaining various gospel doctrines and principles. Definitely will use this as a resource for the future.
Carrie
Feb 02, 2008 Carrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jen wise
This book got me through a lot in 2007. It speaks to the heart and the best part is that everyone can relate and gain inspiration from it.
Maria
Elder Holland is an excellent author. This book is a must for anyone who's struggling with the long, wearying challenges of life.
Ashlee Draper Galyean
I didn't expect anything less than amazing. It was spectacular in every way. But what else is to be expected of Jeffrey R. Holland.
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple
  • Gospel Doctrine: Sermons and Writings of President Joseph F. Smith (Classics in Mormon Literature)
  • Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant
  • Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • The Lord's Way
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv ...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...
Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon Broken Things to Mend Trusting Jesus Created for Greater Things