Start by marking “However Long & Hard the Road” as Want to Read:
However Long & Hard the Road

However Long & Hard the Road

"Often in our most difficult times the only thing we can do is endure. We may have no idea what the final cost in suffering or sacrifice may be, but we can vow never to give up. In doing so we will learn that there is no worthy task so great nor burden so heavy that will not yield to our perseverance. We can make it...however long and hard the road."

So writes Elder Jeffre

Published September 1st 2002 by Deseret Book Co (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about However Long & Hard the Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about However Long & Hard the Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene HanffThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Road Not Taken and Other Poems by Robert FrostThe Road to Wigan Pier by George OrwellCrossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
Roads
82nd out of 174 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Lowell
Jan 22, 2012 Lowell rated it it was amazing
Chapter 3 is titled "The Inconvenient Messiah", and by itself is one of the greatest things I have ever read. The fact that virtually everything in this book maintains that same quality is astounding.

All of these can be found in an extended format on the BYU Speeches website, with MP3 files available of when each sermon was presented. Reading these fantastic; listening to Elder Holland's vocal delivery elevates it to an even higher level.
Donna
Apr 13, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey Holland is one of my all-time favorite speakers and writers. Whenever I'm feeling a little down trodden or pressed in by worldly cares, he seems to lift me right out of that and reminds me of what is truly the most important thing.
Morgan Lyons
Aug 08, 2016 Morgan Lyons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I am decidedly against what seems to be the trend of indiscriminately giving 5 stars to any book written by a prominent LDS author, and I have even been known to withhold a star of two from an Elder Holland classic, but not this one. I actually think chapter 3, The Inconvenient Messiah, merits 5 stars all by itself, and the fact that it's supplemented by nine other inspiring addresses just solidifies this book's perfect rating in my mind. Elder Holland is an absolute master in the English Langua ...more
Bryce
Nov 21, 2012 Bryce rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-we-own
Excellent read. I obviously took my time with this one, reading a page or two here and there. No matter how much or little I read though, I always left thinking a little deeper and I felt like I got a lot from this smaller book by Elder Holland.
Alex
Sep 03, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
... messages of hope.

... never give up praying. At times prayer may be the only course of action remaining - but it is the most powerful of them all.

By dismissing the principles of repentance and forgiveness, we foolishly choose to make life more painful for ourselves and for those who truly need our help.

... to be what we really are 'in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you something else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight.'

And when we've t
Jodi
May 12, 2016 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
This book is a collection of talks. I had a hard time rating this book because there were some chapters I really liked and others that I struggled to get through. I first got the book because I thought it was all about facing trials and enduring through difficult times. The first couple chapters were just that, and I enjoyed them. But I felt like most of the book focused on sinning and repentance and reminded me a bit of The Miracle of Forgiveness, which isn't a bad thing, but just not what I wa ...more
Jenny
Nov 04, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this at the right time. I was searching for answers for a friend but found my own spirit comforted and encouraged as I read.

Glen Brooksby
Feb 18, 2016 Glen Brooksby rated it it was amazing
I never read the hardcover book. I was THERE at BYU when this address was given. It was very moving and was accompanied with images from the 1890's. I own the pamphlet that was given out shortly after the talk. It's a short read, but everyone should read it once.
Amanda
Aug 04, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. Each chapter is on a different topic-- and Elder Holland states from the beginning that each is from a different essay or address which were never meant to be delivered together-- however, what they have in common is that each shares a message of hope. It was such an inspiring and uplifting read. It's short- but I probably marked up half of it. There are so many great parts that I could not even try to decide my favorite. Definitely a book I will read again in the futur ...more
Jake Dietz
Jan 17, 2016 Jake Dietz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection of essays. I especially enjoyed the last few about Alma, Marriage and However long and hard the road. Good read.
Richard
Mar 13, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing
My wife gave this as a birthday present to me, and the timing of which could not have been better. Our son was admitted to the hospital the night before my birthday, which proved to be a very difficult at the time. We have come to learn that he may have epilepsy and we've made efforts to cope with this fact.

The title of this book is very appropriate with every essay written herein. I'm very happy to have read this book.
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, mormon
A book of powerful essays written by Elder Holland before his call as a General Authority. Sue D. loaned to me.
Michele
Jul 15, 2010 Michele rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Read it in one afternoon...a Sunday. Is there anyone who can validate where we are in our personal lives and lift us to see the 'more' that we can have and be, than Elder Jeffrey R. Holland? This was a sweet, poignant book that encouraged me to look at the things I get to repent of while making me know the Lord loves me completely just the way I am. Loved it!
Craig
Nov 03, 2011 Craig rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-doctrinal
A wonderful look (through the scriptures and other illustrations) at how the Savior's love (and through his Atonement), the difficulties of life occasioned by sin, affliction, infirmity, mistakes and the like that beset us in mortality can be borne and turned to our good and can be for our experience through faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ, and his plan of salvation.
Laurel
Mar 20, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008-read
I love Brother Holland's colorful realistic way of speaking and writing. This book is a collection of talks he gave while serving as the President of BYU. He has edited them to bring them more up-to-date. These talks help strengthen anyone going through difficult times. Or helpful for someone who wants to find ways to support others going through trials.
Melissa Lowry
Dec 18, 2010 Melissa Lowry rated it liked it
This is the type of book that makes you stop and take a good hard look at yourself. You cant help but read into every sentence as if it were directed purposefully at you. It talked of hope, perseverance and God. All things being ever directed towards God. I think its insightful on its own. And with the right attitude perfectly inspired.
Darci Gardner
Mar 14, 2012 Darci Gardner rated it it was amazing
Jeffrey R. Holland always has a way of sharing what I really need to hear. This book is no exception. Every time I re-read this I get something new out of it. It isn't boring. It doesn't feel like you are reading some boring church talk or general conference talk. This book is excellent.
Mandy
Feb 27, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing
A MUST READ! I have used this book through my time at BYU, a mission, marriage, seminary, and almost every aspect of my life. It has valuable insights and lessons in every talk. I draw faith and strength from his insights. If you do not own this book...you should.
TK
Nov 15, 2014 TK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really wonderful! Though all the material was new to me (it was published long ago), it had the same quality as his General Conference talks. It was profound, inspirational, and completely engaging. I'm going to read all of his books now. :)
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my favoirte books. It was a book I found of my Dad's, and it followed me since I moved away from home. dad, if you ever wondered where it went, I have that and your doctrines of salvation (only one volumne)
Kendra
Feb 28, 2010 Kendra rated it really liked it
I received this for Mother's Day and needed it and used it for a talk in my church almost immediately. I love Elder Holland. This book had many talks I had never read before and the collaborations with his wife were great!
Cynthia
Oct 22, 2011 Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Elder Holland is so very good with words. I finished this book and felt a renewed sense of hope and strength to keep traveling down my own long and hard roads. I appreciate books that have that kind of power.
Jessica
Jul 02, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This has been my "Sunday Read" the past few weeks. It was a wonderful collection of talks/addresses given by Elder Holland during his time at BYU. They were really insightful and inspiring...of course!
Kris
Jul 20, 2008 Kris rated it it was amazing
There are times when I am weary. Elder Holland's straight forward, practical voice rings through his writing and reilluminates the path and gives me the moral boost necessary for the journey ahead.
Marie
Apr 18, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book!

This is so up lifting!! I think I will read it again!! Elder Holland is amazing and he understands our struggles. You will love this!
Mari
Oct 22, 2009 Mari rated it really liked it
Love Elder Holland's humility and intelligence within this book. Favorite parts: chapter on marriage to BYU students and his amazing insight into Peter and his relationship with Jesus.
Makamae
Jan 30, 2012 Makamae rated it it was amazing
Superb book on never giving up on yourself and having faith that Jesus Christ isn't just enough, but He is everything and can give us the ultimate forgiveness for things we do wrong.
Michelle
May 14, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of talks - some of which are in other books. However, I never tire of reading his words. Elder Holland has a way of phrasing language that speaks to me and inspires me.
Nick
Oct 01, 2012 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of talks given by Jeffrey R. Holland about persevering through life's trials. I recommend to anyone who has struggled or is struggling through life's challenges.
Sandy T
Nov 18, 2009 Sandy T rated it really liked it
This is a collection of talks/essays from Elder Holland's years as president of BYU. In my opinion, he is genius at putting words together to inspire. Wish I could do that...
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Pathways To Perfection: Discourses Of Thomas S. Monson
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Power to Become: Spiritual Patterns for Pressing Forward with a Steadfastness in Christ (Spiritual Patterns, #3)
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • The Lord's Way
  • When Times Are Tough: 5 Scriptures That Will Help You Get Through Almost Anything
  • Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball
  • Press on: Messages on Faith, Hope, and Charity
  • God Wants A Powerful People
  • Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections Of Those Who Knew The Prophet Joseph Smith
  • A New Witness for the Articles of Faith
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv ...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...