Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School

Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School (Fancy Nancy)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  20 reviews
With the 100th day of school just around the corner, Nancy finds herself utterly stumped. She can’t think of anything exciting, special, or imaginative enough to bring in to class to commemorate the day. Just as Nancy begins to lose hope, she finds inspiration from an unexpected source—and learns that even sad events can bring with them a glimmer of beauty.

This sweet and t...more
Published December 1st 2009 by HarperCollins

Robin Brennan
My granddaughter enjoyed most of it...however, the unexpected problem of the beloved gold fish dying was problematic. When I picked the book up and gave it a fast go through, missed the page with the gold fish's demise. That little subplot brought up lots of questions about her fish, a trip to the fish tank to ensure that Dorothy was OK and questions that I hadn't expected to be addressing that day. While my granddaughter had experienced the loss of a loved one, this was not the day that I wante...more
Dolly
Jan 05, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very good book in the Fancy Nancy series. We are rapidly approaching the 100th day of school, so the timing is perfect for this book. We also have an interesting time thinking of ways of coming up with 100 items, and Nancy's creativity and imagination is wonderful. And finally, I like how they handled the death of a pet. It's a nice tale, that isn't too sad, but is sensitive to the emotions children have regarding their pets. We especially liked her poem and how she honored the memory...more
Jessie
Fancy Nancy books are super fun for little girls. I love all the pictures even though they are usually very busy they are really fun. I love the way they interact bigger words and how they explain them during the reading I think that is a great idea for bigger readers.

My summary,
Nancy is trying to figure out what to bring in for the 100th day of school and she wants it to be something different then everyone else. Her little sister's fish dies and they burry it and her mom was about to throw out...more
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Author: Jane O'Connor Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Interest Level: K
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.7
DRA: N/A
Lexile: 290L

Nancy is in a bind, she cannot think of anything to bring in to show on the 100th day of school. She thinks for a few days and finally comes up with the perfect idea after her sisters gold fish dies. She used the pebbles from the fishbowl to create a poster in Goldy's memory and glues on 100 pebbles. This series is great to keep young rea...more
Rachel C
Julia read this to me today and I was really pleased that this little reader had more substance than most. I found it sweet and extra special that it covered the loss of a pet in addition to teaching creativity and imagination. Although this is a "first reader", it was lengthy and I think there are several words that were difficult for a new reader to pronounce, e.g. imaginative, dilemma, and enough, but Fancy Nancy defined them (as she likes to do). I'd be inclined to categorize this a level 2...more
Nicole Holden
I really like the Fancy Nancy book collection, but this one in particular talks about 100 days of school. Since 100 days of school is part of the school curriculum, this would be a great book to read to students and give them ideas on their 100 day of school projects. This books will also be great for language arts and teaching new words and what they mean.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Children's Literature Project
DRA Level 16.

All of the kids in Nancy's class have decided what they are bringing for the 100th day of school. Fancy Nancy has trouble deciding what to bring. An unfortunate event sparks her creativity.

This book is great for kindergarten.
J.D. Holman
I am once again impressed by the Fancy Nancy series. It builds vocabulary and, in this one, deals with the loss of a pet. Pretty weighty stuff, but Fancy Nancy finds a way to make a sad thing into a positive one.
This is a great story for the 100th day of school. It contains large amounts of ideas that the teachers could uses on the 100th day. It also talks about a pets death which could be helpful in a different situation.
Lyn
I like how Nancy told her sister that we like Goldy (the goldfish) and she is still part of the family even though she died. Nancy made her sister feel better by making a poster of Goldy.
Inspired Kathy
I'm the boring mom who has sent my child to the 100th day of school with something much less imaginative than what Nancy comes up with to take to her 100th day of school.
Ron
These are perfect books for beginning readers. The "fancy" comes from the books use of using large words which are then described as fancy ways of saying something simple.
Satin
Great book for the 100th day of school. I loved Nancy's Fancy word list at the end of the book, and her determination to be creative and imaginative on her project.
Sandybear76
a new book for 100th day celebrations at school. Fancy Nancy has to take a collection of 100 somethings to school but she can't decide what to take.
Karen
Another good book from my daughter's favorite series. This was a good way to get my daughter excited about the 100th day of school.
Codie Gates
Fancy Nancy needs to think of something to bring to school for the 100th day of school. Can she do it? Let's find out.
Emily
Could create a math lesson from this book.
Gail
Creative and sweet.
Tonia Mallory
Tonia Mallory marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Stacey Novak
Stacey Novak marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kati
Kati marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Pinkalicious: Pink around the Rink
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Biscuit and the Baby
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Golden Rule
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • Tea for Ruby
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • The Night Before First Grade
  • Let It Fall
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany