Start by marking “Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School

Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School (Fancy Nancy)

With the 100th day of school just around the corner, Nancy finds herself utterly stumped. She can’t think of anything exciting, special, or imaginative enough to bring in to class to commemorate the day. Just as Nancy begins to lose hope, she finds inspiration from an unexpected source—and learns that even sad events can bring with them a glimmer of beauty.

This sweet and t
Published December 1st 2009 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy

Nariman
Dec 01, 2015 Nariman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, tl, bn, picture-books
Meet fancy Nancy , she's trying to find an idea of a project for the 100th day of school, the project should contain a 100 somethings, all her friends did theirs and she's running out of time.
Sweet story with beautiful pictures and a set of new words for young children , my girls loved it , they were encouraging her and suggesting ideas for Nancy's project for the 100th day of school , and even said they'll ask for a 100th day of school of their own in their school.
Brooke Wagner
Feb 27, 2015 Brooke Wagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy: The 100th Day of School is the story of a girl who is trying to figure out what to bring into class for the 100th day of school. When she tells her teacher that she is having trouble thinking of something to bring in her teacher assures her that she believes that she will thing of something "imaginative" to bring in. From that point on she won't settle on something ordinary. Finally she does indeed find something "imaginative" to bring in. More than that what she decides on turns th ...more
Kimberly
Personal Reaction: Fancy Nancy is such a fun character that children can easily relate to. This is also a great beginning to read book for kids. I like how Fancy Nancy uses some big words but also describes them.

Purposes: Great read aloud book to Kindergarten or 1st graders and also a really great book for 1st and 2nd graders to read aloud in a small group setting or on their own. Fancy Nancy and the 100th Day of School provides many opportunities for discussing counting and numbers. This could
Robin Brennan
My granddaughter enjoyed most of it...however, the unexpected problem of the beloved gold fish dying was problematic. When I picked the book up and gave it a fast go through, missed the page with the gold fish's demise. That little subplot brought up lots of questions about her fish, a trip to the fish tank to ensure that Dorothy was OK and questions that I hadn't expected to be addressing that day. While my granddaughter had experienced the loss of a loved one, this was not the day that I wante ...more
Maria Armenta
Nov 27, 2014 Maria Armenta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aimed at the four to eight year old beginning reader, this Fancy Nancy story charms both the younger and older end of the spectrum. Fancy Nancy is worried. It is the 97th day of school and she needs to bring a project in for the 100th day of school. She is very worried and doesn't know what to bring. Mrs. Glassman her teacher tells her not to worry since she is so creative and will be able to think of something. So Nancy rises to the challenge. These readers are not as lavishly illustrated as th ...more
Dolly
Jan 05, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a very good book in the Fancy Nancy series. We are rapidly approaching the 100th day of school, so the timing is perfect for this book. We also have an interesting time thinking of ways of coming up with 100 items, and Nancy's creativity and imagination is wonderful. And finally, I like how they handled the death of a pet. It's a nice tale, that isn't too sad, but is sensitive to the emotions children have regarding their pets. We especially liked her poem and how she honored the memory ...more
Jessie
Dec 06, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ed-310
Fancy Nancy books are super fun for little girls. I love all the pictures even though they are usually very busy they are really fun. I love the way they interact bigger words and how they explain them during the reading I think that is a great idea for bigger readers.

My summary,
Nancy is trying to figure out what to bring in for the 100th day of school and she wants it to be something different then everyone else. Her little sister's fish dies and they burry it and her mom was about to throw out
Rachel C
Dec 11, 2012 Rachel C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Julia read this to me today and I was really pleased that this little reader had more substance than most. I found it sweet and extra special that it covered the loss of a pet in addition to teaching creativity and imagination. Although this is a "first reader", it was lengthy and I think there are several words that were difficult for a new reader to pronounce, e.g. imaginative, dilemma, and enough, but Fancy Nancy defined them (as she likes to do). I'd be inclined to categorize this a level 2 ...more
Emily
This book is simple and great for kid who are just learning to read. It would be a creative resource for the 100th day of school. It also has some new words for kids to learn. The big "fancy" words are listed in the back of the book. With this list, my students could work on some new vocabulary and begin to apply these new words to other situations and books we read. In the book, the main character is in search of 100 items that represent her that she can bring in and show off on the 100th day o ...more
Rosa Cline
Jan 29, 2017 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, death, 2017
Usually Fancy Nancy books are full of big words (and then followed by an explaination of what the word means) making reading it out loud almost impossible. Although for a child reading it quietly alone it is okay. But this book doesn't have very many words that little ones wouldn't understand.

Nancy can't figure out what to bring to school for the 100th day. All her friends are bringing really neat things and even with recommendations from her Mom and Dad she still can't think of anything. But w
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Melanie
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Author: Jane O'Connor Illustrator: Robin Preiss Glasser
Interest Level: K
Grade Level Equivalent: 1.7
DRA: N/A
Lexile: 290L

Nancy is in a bind, she cannot think of anything to bring in to show on the 100th day of school. She thinks for a few days and finally comes up with the perfect idea after her sisters gold fish dies. She used the pebbles from the fishbowl to create a poster in Goldy's memory and glues on 100 pebbles. This series is great to keep young rea
Nicole Holden
Jan 19, 2012 Nicole Holden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Fancy Nancy book collection, but this one in particular talks about 100 days of school. Since 100 days of school is part of the school curriculum, this would be a great book to read to students and give them ideas on their 100 day of school projects. This books will also be great for language arts and teaching new words and what they mean.
JennE
Jan 22, 2017 JennE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fancy Nancy needs 100 items to take to school... and she uses "fancy" words like dilemma and elegant and imaginative. She wants something imaginative and fancy.... and even when her goldfish dies, she comes up with the perfect 100th day item. Kids love Fancy Nancy and teacher love her for using "fancy words."
Sarah(All The Book Blog Names Are Taken)
Such a sweet story that starts out with Nancy at a loss for what to bring on the 100th day of school that turns into her doing something very touching for her little sister when her beloved goldfish dies. Another great Fancy Nancy story!
Shelli
Feb 20, 2010 Shelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This I Can Read Fancy Nancy series is perfect for young students to practice their reading skills and boost their confidence by practicing many sight and easy to sound out words, while enjoying a fun story.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Children's Literature Project
DRA Level 16.

All of the kids in Nancy's class have decided what they are bringing for the 100th day of school. Fancy Nancy has trouble deciding what to bring. An unfortunate event sparks her creativity.

This book is great for kindergarten.
Jan 30, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, read-aloud
This is a great story for the 100th day of school. It contains large amounts of ideas that the teachers could uses on the 100th day. It also talks about a pets death which could be helpful in a different situation.
J.D. Holman
Oct 21, 2012 J.D. Holman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am once again impressed by the Fancy Nancy series. It builds vocabulary and, in this one, deals with the loss of a pet. Pretty weighty stuff, but Fancy Nancy finds a way to make a sad thing into a positive one.
Estefania
Dec 01, 2010 Estefania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was very nice
Kathy
May 16, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm the boring mom who has sent my child to the 100th day of school with something much less imaginative than what Nancy comes up with to take to her 100th day of school.
Ron
Feb 14, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary
These are perfect books for beginning readers. The "fancy" comes from the books use of using large words which are then described as fancy ways of saying something simple.
Kenzie O'Hagan
May 03, 2016 Kenzie O'Hagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my very first long book I read by myself. I like the marbles, jellybeans, and crayons page.
Sandybear76
a new book for 100th day celebrations at school. Fancy Nancy has to take a collection of 100 somethings to school but she can't decide what to take.
Karen
Apr 27, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book from my daughter's favorite series. This was a good way to get my daughter excited about the 100th day of school.
Lyn
Feb 23, 2013 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gracie-s-books
I like how Nancy told her sister that we like Goldy (the goldfish) and she is still part of the family even though she died. Nancy made her sister feel better by making a poster of Goldy.
Holly Letson
It was fun to hear all the different collections of 100 things that the students brought in.
Satin
Great book for the 100th day of school. I loved Nancy's Fancy word list at the end of the book, and her determination to be creative and imaginative on her project.
Michelle
* re read: book unhaul
* reliving my childhood
* don't know if this should count but oh well
Codie Gates
Fancy Nancy needs to think of something to bring to school for the 100th day of school. Can she do it? Let's find out.
  • Pinkalicious: Pink around the Rink
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • What Is a Princess? (Disney Princess)
  • Let It Fall
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Kitten
  • Tea for Ruby
  • The Berenstain Bears' Sleepover
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas