Chaucer's First Winter

Chaucer's First Winter

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Chaucer knows that bears are supposed to sleep through the winter. But it's much more fun to stay up and play!
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Chaucer's First Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chaucer's First Winter

Gail Cooke
Oct 18, 2009 Gail Cooke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of young children
With Fall nipping the air we know that Ol' Man Winter's on his way, so it's a perfect time to meet Chaucer, a cuddly little brown bear who is perplexed when his best friends, Nugget and Kit, say, "We're going to miss you a lot." Chaucer wanted to know where he'd be when they were missing him, and was told that he'd be sleeping because that's what bears did.

His parents verified that fact for him - bears slept in the winter. However, Chaucer was not convinced, so when his parents settled down to...more
Heidi
The storyline overall was good, though there were a couple of parts that were just OK to me. But the pictures? Purely adorable. More in the tiny things than I would have expected, but nice that they were there and helped tell parts of the story that is not in the text. In truth, they were my favorite parts, too!
Jaimee
Chaucer is a curious little bear. He doesn't want to sleep during winter! He wants to explore and play in the snow and that is exactly what he does. He stays awake all winter playing and having fun. Then the snow melts and Chaucer is very sad. When he tries to tell his parents about winter he falls asleep just in time for spring.
Sandybear76
This little bear is told by his parents that bears hibernate in the winter but Chaucer doesn't want to miss any wintertime fun. He stays awake for the winter and explores winter with his friend.s Loved it!!
Megan Baker
This story is a picture book intended for nursery or primary readers. It is about a young bear named Chaucer who does not want to hibernate so he can stay awake for his first winter. He does fun things in the snow and is sad to see winter go. Chaucer wanted to tell his parents all about his fun but he was so tired. By the time spring came he was fast asleep.
I rated this book three stars because it was a cute story but it did not really have a lesson to be learned. The illustrations were big a...more
Barnak
Neel and Deep didn't like the book because a bear could not not hibernate in winter.
Krista
Sweet story with Henry Cole's adorable illustrations!
Dolly
Feb 03, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book came as a "prize" in a box of Cheerios. The cover illustration is so adorable, we just knew that we'd like this story. It was a very similar to the story Little Brown Bear Won't Take a Nap!, but with watchful parents and a much more local adventure. We loved the illustrations and took turns reading the narrative; overall it was a fun bedtime story.
Alyn
Got it from a box of Cheerios. My son loved it. It was all he wanted to read each night until he lost the book.

This book is about a bear having fun during the winter with his friends instead of hibernating.

It is easy to read and the drawings are cute.
Shira
This book is an excellent way to explain to young children about hibernation within bears. However, in this story Chauncer is a bear cub who doesn't want to hibernate for the winter. Instead he wants to play around with his friends.
Ashley
Love that thos book has English and Spanish translation. Excellent for ESL classrooms. Children have to make decisions everyday between right and wrong, and Chaucer will help them understand what it means to follow directions.
carissa
A curious young bear, who does not want to miss the delights of winter, skips his first hibernation to play in the snow, glide on the ice, and admire the glittering rows of icicles and snow-covered pine trees.
Carolyn
Chaucer's supposed to hibernate, but he wants to play with is friends instead, and ends up spending the whole winter romping in the snow and experiencing the joys of winter.
Don Gubler
Okay, but if you want the realy good story read Bear Snores On.
Shaikha
Dec 05, 2012 Shaikha marked it as to-read
the bear is so happy with playing in the snow
Samantha Hastings
Great illustrations and a sweet little story.
Tina
hibernation, winter activities
Valerie
winter - friends - hibernations - bears
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Jan 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
How Santa Got His Job Big Bad Wolves at School Too Many Leprechauns: Or How That Pot o' Gold Got to the End of the Rainbow Now I Am Big! How Santa Lost His Job