Start by marking “Forgive the Moon” as Want to Read:
Forgive the Moon

Forgive the Moon

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  25 reviews
During a vacation on Long Island, Amanda Kincaid hoped to sort out the many changes in her life, including her crumbling marriage. Instead, she discovers some shocking things about the past-and meets a wonderful man. Forgive the Moon is a novel of family and forgiveness, betrayal and renewal-and the many ways the seasons of our lives can change.
Published June 1st 2004 by Signet (first published June 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Forgive the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forgive the Moon

Julie Grear
This was a pretty good "beach read". Would give it 3 1/2 stars. Typical of most books that alternate from present time to flashbacks, I really enjoyed the chapters that told the story of Amanda's past,as there was more depth to the story, whereas the Chapters telling the story of her present day life were very typical "beach books" of a woman who is trying to figure out what has happened to her life after 20 years of marriage. Have to say though, early in the book there is a chapter that brings ...more
Donna
Sep 18, 2008 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like excellently crafted novels, family relationships, sailing, great beach reads
“The Opposite Shore” begins aboard a sailboat and although the sailing by no means smooth from that moment on, you immediately know you’re in the hands of a skipper who will take you on a memorable ride through deep waters. Inspired by Shakespeare’s most mature play, The Tempest, this novel is “character-driven” in the very best sense of the word. We come to know four people intimately—the somewhat ethereal painter Rose, her husband William with longtime passions of his own, their teenage daught ...more
Talia Carner
This particular summer of Amanda's vacation on the east end of Long Island is different as her world is going through changes she can neither control nor is capable of facing: Her mother's death after years of mental illness during which she was emotionally absent even as she cooked dinners for her family (with that cigarette forever hanging at the side of her mouth, a feather of ash dangling at its end.) Amanda's husband, having recently launched a new business venture with a young female colle ...more
Jan
So Amanda's marriage is facing the typical cliche`. Husband is having a midlife crisis which results in wife having mid life crisis and blames it all on her crappy childhood. Though I found it OK. Other parts were just vulgar for the sake of being vulgar. Not at all in line with the characters that she was portraying. I found that other characters were added at random and didn't make much sense. She would start building them and then .... nothing. It wasn't awful, but wasn't spectacular either.
Louise
This is Maryanne Stahl's FIRST novel and I must say she did an incredible job. It was a wonderful story about forgiveness, families and the events that keep us glued together.

From the back cover:

"When Amanda Kincaid comes to Long Island for her family's annual beach vacation, she can't help but reflect on the many recent and significant changes in her life. Her mother has passed away after years of mental illness. Her beloved daughter has left for college. Her twenty-year old marriage is falling
Lynn
I hate to call this a "beach read" when really, Stahl explores the issues of what happens when a mother dies and a marriage disintegrates and a woman struggling with empty nest syndrome learns how to heal. I like that this was complicated and not an easy fix. Stahl is pitch perfect in this lovely novel.
Susan
Nov 13, 2008 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone struggling in marriage or with a divorce, that there is always hope.
Shelves: adult-fiction
I originally bought this book because of the illustrations on the front cover of the ocean and beach. Amanda Kincaid, the main character in this novel, is likable and in many ways easy to relate to. She struggles with her marriage and her children like most women one way or another and try to figure out how to keep going in spite of her challenges. While I enjoyed the flashbacks concerning the recent history of Amanda's marriage and home life, I didn't much enjoy the author's flashbacks of her c ...more
Denise Lowe
A woman's struggle to find her way as she is forced to come to terms with the pain of her childhood, the crumbling state of her marriage, the sacrifice of personal dreams to raise a family, and the possibilities now that her family is growing up and their needs are not as immediate and all-engrossing. A search for peace and equilibrium in a world that is topsy-turvy.
Morrigan
This book bogged down for me but then with a bit of a push it picked back up and I read it to the end and I am glad I did. The bogged down part was when the plot just read like so very many other books on the bookstore shelves. In the end though the author pulled it out and made it, its own book.
Charlene
This book should have been called "Forgiving My Mom"... The woman is recalling events in her life and reconciling with her memories of her mom. It could be her mid-life crisis where she starts acting out, but in the end she realizes that she is okay.
Carrie
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The content just disturbed me too much to be able to like it. It would be a good read for someone who is able to watch R rated movies but I like books with not so much detail.
Kshappert
a fairly predictable storyline...woman with troubled marriage goes to the beach and finds a handsome man...but a decent enough read
Kitty Tomlinson
Amanda Kincaid comes to terns with her grief over her mentally ill mother’s death on her family’s annual Long Island vacation.
Lisa
So far it's kind of sad....but the setting is Long Island where I am from!
Maryanne
Jun 20, 2007 Maryanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mywork
I wrote this book and would love any and all feedback from readers. thanks!
Jen Reardon
Great story about family and trying to find your way in life.
Carol
Did not hate or love this book but really not a fan of the ending.
Linda
Loved reading about familiar places on the East end of LI.
Kiessa
This book inspired in me a feeling of complete apathy.
Lois
Kept my attention -- romantic and challenges of marriage.
Melissa Cummings
it wasn't fab, however, i don't regret reading it
Teresa
too much romance for my taste
Bonnie
Good but predictable.
Katherine
Lovely, lovely writing.
Susannah
Meh. Just - meh.
Kristine
Kristine marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • The Travelling Hornplayer
  • Breaking It Down
  • Love Falls
  • Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • A Spanish Lover
  • The Liar's Diary
  • Doctor Olaf van Schuler's Brain
  • The Catalpa Tree
Maryanne Stahl lives in Thunderbolt, Georgia with a man, a dog, and two cats.
More about Maryanne Stahl...
The Opposite Shore