Start by marking “Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1)” as Want to Read:
Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls, #1)

Athena the Brain (Goddess Girls #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,124 Ratings  ·  436 Reviews
Athena has always been above average. She has never quite fit in at Triton Junior High, but who would've guessed that Athena is actually a goddess? Principal Zeus's daughter, to be exact.

When she's summoned to Mount Olympus Academy, Athena thinks she might actually fit in for the first time in her life. But in some ways, school on Mount Olympus is not that different from d
Published April 6th 2010 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Athena the Brain, please sign up.

Anne Winkle Go to the book you want to review and usually, there's a button u can click to review.

American Mensa
May 28, 2013 American Mensa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-books
This is so far the best way to learn about Greek Mythology and their Gods and Goddesses for me. Meet Athena and her friends, Aphrodite, Artemis, Persephone, Poseidon, Pandora, and the mean girl, Medusa at MOA, Mount Olympus Academy. These God Boys and Girls and few selected mortals at the age 9 will bring laughter and tears to you while they are learning to be heroes and heroines in Mythology or to be wise Gods and Goddesses. After all, life at Mount Olympus Academy is not that much different fr ...more
Renee
Dec 06, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
My daughter (9) and I read and reviewed this book and this is what we have to say. Visit us at http://MotherDaughterBookReviews.com

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it:

I liked the story. I liked that the pages were short and it was a fast and easy read for me. The girls in the book reminded me of me and my friends. Some of us get along and sometimes one girl can be mean (but only sometimes).

I liked the part of where they were doing the project and Athena kept hurting the person that
*This review is based on a copy of the book I won through Goodreads FirstReads Giveaways.*

A very cute concept!

A new series of children's books based on a modernized version of Greek Mythology in which many gods and goddesses are seen as middle school students at Mount Olympus Academy.

Well written and easy to read, these books could be a nice springboard to introduce Greek mythology to younger people without being too confusing.
Angelc
Nov 06, 2010 Angelc rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

The first installment in the Goddess Girls books is a great introduction to the series. The reader is introduced to the school at Mt. Olympus at the same time that Athena first sees it. We are thrust into this brand new world of immortality and magic just like Athena is.

The book has a great message for girls about dealing with mean girls and also how to deal with boys. I loved Athena's attitude towards the cocky Poseidon as she realizes he's not so crush-worthy after all.

Book lovers wil
Small Review
Jun 03, 2016 Small Review rated it really liked it
This book is so cute! Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much with this book, especially when I opened it up and saw large, double-spaced text. I figured the characters and maybe a few locations would recall Greek myths, but I thought that would be the extent of things. This would have been fine and cute for the middle-grade audience this is intended for, but it would have been less interesting for me.

Luckily, the references to Greek myths went well beyond the characters' names! The entire book--
Arya
Apr 20, 2010 Arya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
This one was better than Persephone the Phony (I thought).

Athena has just found out that she is the daughter of Zeus, King of the gods and Principal of Mount Olympus Academy - no wonder she never fit in down on Earth! But even gods and goddesses are not perfect and Athena will have to deal with the biggest bully of all time - Medusa. Luckily for her the goddessgirls are on her side.

She will make some of the most amazing friends ever and solve the Trojan War game all in a matter of days - no won
Noelia Amarillo
Nov 29, 2013 Noelia Amarillo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro no lo he leído yo, sino mi hija pequeña (9 años), y se lo ha leído en menos de una semana!!! Lo primero que le atrajo del libro fue la portada, para qué negarlo, pero al poquito de empezarlo ya estaba enganchadisima, tanto, que me iba contando cada capítulo que leía. Está encantada con las aventuras de Atenea, porque, según ella, "la pasa cada cosaaaaa" y ahora está como loca por leer el segundo... lo dicho, un diez redondo!
Heather Doss
Jan 12, 2010 Heather Doss rated it really liked it
Start of a new series aimed at the younger crowd; great introduction to greek mythology in a Percy Jackson-meets-How I survived Middle School way. Fun reads that took me a lunch hour to get through.
Mehsi
Since I loved the Grimmtastic Girls I thought I would try out this series as well. Since it is kind of the same but now with Greek Goddesses and Gods. :)

And yes, this was indeed pretty much Grimmtastic Girls. Only now instead of Fairy tales we have: Greek Gods/Goddesses, lessons that fit with mythology, set on Mount Olympus, Boarding School and some other similarities.
Note: I don't mind this at all, I like it, though it felt a bit weird. I kept expecting one of the girls from Grimmtastic to pop
Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)
Athena the Brain is the first book of the Goddess Girls series by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams

I’ve always loved Greek mythology and have just gotten into reading middle grade level and children books. I was so excited to see this series combined both.

Athena lives with her best friend, Pallas, because she has never knew who her parents were. She goes to Triton Junior High…or at least had gone to Triton Junior High. One day, Athena gets a message from Zeus saying that he’s her father and that s
Celine
Jan 15, 2013 Celine rated it it was amazing
The Goddess Girls books by Joan Holub & Suzanne Williams all feature one goddess, in the case if the first book in the series, that's Athena. Athena lives with her best friend Palles, and she doesn't know who her parents are. Then one day she gets a letter from Zeus, her father, saying that she must go to Mount Olympus Academy and start her training as a goddess.

This book is quite clearly meant for girls that have just learnt to read. The pages contain very little words, and the story is ver
Brenda
Jun 13, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tween girls who really like Greek Mythology
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Authors Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams have created a light breezy book that provides a wonderful introduction to Greek mythology for the younger age groups. Children might even be encouraged to check out other books of Greek Myths and compare them with the authors books. In this first book in the series, Athena is summoned to Mount Olympus Academy by her father Zeus. There she meets other Goddesses and Gods like Persephone, Aphrodite, Artemis, as well as Poseidon, Pandora and Medusa. The story ...more
Bookbuilder
Mar 17, 2015 Bookbuilder rated it it was amazing
It was an awesome start to a cool series.The series is about gods and goddesses that go to Mount Olympus Academy. One of my very good friends were always on different books in this series and I would always be so curious so that is when my trip to Mount Olympus Academy (MOA) began. The first book is about a regular girl Athena at a new school just finding out she is Zeus's daughter and a Goddess.Will she survive new enemies? Will she make friends and will she fit in ?
Maria J.
Nov 15, 2013 Maria J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta maravillosa colección de libros es una delicia para las más jovencitas de la casa.

Los problemas de Atenea y sus amigas son iguales a los que padecen las niñas de hoy en día entre 8 y 12 años, lo que hará que aprendan nociones básicas de mitología sin darse cuenta.

Además, comprobarán que sus problemas cotidianos tienen solución, y que equivocarse tiene arreglo.

Puedes ver el tráiler en www.edicionesdiquesi.com
Julia
Dec 02, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
Inhalt: Die brandheißen News von der Olymp High: Was ist in? Was ist out? Lies hier den neuesten Klatsch und Tratsch aus dem Leben der Göttergirls! "Ich, eine Göttin? Wahnsinn!" Als Athene an ihrem zwölften Geburtstag an Zeus' Eliteinternat gerufen wird, kann sie es erst gar nicht fassen. In dieser Schule werden nämlich die Sprösslinge der ruhmreichen Götter ausgebildet. Schnell lebt sich die kluge Athene dort ein, wo Fächer wie Heldologie, Biestologie und Rachekunde auf dem Stundenplan stehen. ...more
Shelby
Dec 05, 2011 Shelby rated it it was amazing
These books are a cute, light, fun read for both middle grader and older. Though they often stray from the paths of the true Greek Myths, the backbone is still the same while supplying the gods and goddesses fun new personalities and adventures. Any lover of Greek Mythology should try these - quick and fun, they're sure to be a hit!
Janet Blowers
Oct 12, 2010 Janet Blowers rated it it was amazing
Love it! Read this one to the girls at bedtime. Great Read - Super funny!

The goddesses are all about 13 years old in this series where they attend Mount Olympus Academy (MOA) run by Principal Zeus. Hades, Poisidon, Medusa, Artemis and mortals like Pandora are wildy funny.

Can't wait to read more...
Ella A.
Aug 10, 2013 Ella A. rated it it was amazing
In this book about Athena (my favorite goddess ) gets a surprising note from Zeus saying tht she will get to attend mt Olympus academy. She has tons of fun at her new school
Damerah
Sep 09, 2014 Damerah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goddess-girls
Awesome
Johnny
I definitely will not be reading any more of these books. The cover artwork totally got me on this one, and I thought it would be a good book to read with my daughter. I imagined a witty play on Greek mythology written for the tween set, but I'd hardly call anything about this book witty. At a few moments, it amuses with its attempts at providing background for the major players in Greek mythology, but of course it does so at the expense of the original stories, totally disregarding them in many ...more
Latricia
Nov 01, 2010 Latricia rated it it was ok
This book kicks off what will no doubt be a popular series in the wake of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series and his new Heros of Olympus series. The books and the movie have awoken an interest in mythology not only for the older readers. The Goddess Girls is aimed at tween girls and set in Mount Olympus Academy where Athena, the new girl, meets goddess girls, godboys, and some special mortals who get to attend school there.

It's a cute story with some fun characters and classic teen drama situa
Kimberly Gill
The Goddess Girls is a series of books about Greek goddesses in Greek mythology. The series tells stories of the younger generation of Olympian pantheon as privileged students attending Mount Olympus Academy to develop their divine skills and progresses. The series focuses on four primary characters - Athena, Persephone, Aphrodite, and Artemis as a group of loyal friends. Athena is noted for being brainy, Persephone is mysterious and kind, Artemis is bold and strong, and Aphrodite is "effortless ...more
Ashley
This is a cute story about my favorite of the Greek goddesses.
It teaches a lesson about bullying and bit giving up.
It's odd to think of Athena bring insecure about her inventions and this was a good take off the tale.
I love that we get to see the gods and goddesses messing with the humans during the Trojan War.
Tiffany
Feb 11, 2014 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
In Goddess Girls: Athena The Brain By Joan Holub I had enjoyed very much because of all the problems that Athena faces are similar to problems in middle school.I love how even though Athena wanted to go home she didn't give up because she wanted to make her dad Zeus proud. As so, "At the mention of "home," Athena felt a pang of loneliness even in the midst of the excitement of making new friends."(Holub This shows that she wanted to leave and she felt homesick, but she stayed. I can infer that s ...more
Emma
Apr 25, 2016 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uno-challenge
I loved this book, it was short but it was very sweet. I loved all the characters we know from mythology portrayed as teenagers, it was fun, original and very exciting. The whole concept of the school and how it was run was amazing. There was so much I loved about this book and I cannot think of one thing I disliked apart from it ending, thank goodness there's more books in the series.

I loved the character Athena, she was one of the mythological characters I knew less about, it was fun to see he
Jordi Rodriguez
Jul 13, 2015 Jordi Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atenea, la diosa de la inteligencia, no nació siéndolo, y en este libro vemos como progresa.

El libro comienza con Atenea, sin saber sí quiera que es una diosa, nada más y nada menos que la hija de Zeus, pero es entoces cuando le llega una carta en la que le informan sobre ello, y ella se sorprende. Que debe hacer atenea, ¿dejar a Palas su mejor amiga para emprender un camino lleno de aventuras en su nuevo instituto del monte del Olimpo o dejar su vida tal y como esta? La respuesta es clara, debe
VBergen
Mar 11, 2015 VBergen rated it did not like it
I fell for the cover artwork. It started bad and I tried to imagine that I was 9 years old -as it was the age when I was very fond of Greek mythology with The Odyssey already read- to be able to continue reading, but my favorite goddess Athena as a cheerleader... no way! Poseidon as a teenager while Zeus is the old principal of the high school is a silly anachronism and it goes on all over the book with the most unexpected characters as teenagers and others as teachers.
Chloe
Mar 27, 2011 Chloe rated it it was amazing
actually this book is a quick read but I luv ancient gods and goddeses
Ashley Ehlers
Nov 30, 2015 Ashley Ehlers rated it liked it

Originally posted on Paranormal Sisters: http://paranormalsisters.blogspot.com...

I feel like this book is aimed more towards children instead of middle schoolers. Why I say that is because there isn't much depth to it and the story lines move seriously fast. Starting with the beginning, where we find out that Athena is Zeus' daughter and then the next moment she's at her new school, Mount Olympus Academy. Here a lot of stuff goes down in just a couple of days.

Like things would happen and as the
Brina
Mar 06, 2012 Brina rated it really liked it
Für Athene ändert sich das Leben schlagartig, als sie einen Brief von Zeus erhält. Der Gott befiehlt ihr auf den Olymp zu kommen, um dort an der Elite Schule Olymp High zu lernen. Für das kluge Mädchen bleibt dies nicht die einzige Überraschung, denn sie erfährt, dass ausgerechnet Zeus ihr leiblicher Vater ist. Schnell lebt sie sich auf der Olymp High ein, lernt ihren Vater und neue Freunde kennen, aber sie muss auch mit den Schattenseiten leben, denn nicht alle wollen mit ihr gut befreundet sei ...more
Class of 2015: goddess girls 1 8 Dec 10, 2013 12:56AM
Book Discussions ...: Athena the Brain 1 6 Mar 12, 2013 10:46PM
  • Pandora Gets Jealous (Mythic Misadventures #1)
  • Have a Hot Time, Hades! (Myth-O-Mania, #1)
  • Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • The Dead End (Poison Apple #1)
  • If the Shoe Fits (The Princess School, #1)
  • Love Bites (My Sister the Vampire, #6)
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • The Only Girl in School
  • The Trojan War
  • The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams
Children's book author: MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...

Goddess Girls (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Persephone the Phony (Goddess Girls, #2)
  • Aphrodite the Beauty (Goddess Girls, #3)
  • Artemis the Brave (Goddess Girls, #4)
  • Athena the Wise (Goddess Girls, #5)
  • Aphrodite the Diva (Goddess Girls, #6)
  • Artemis the Loyal (Goddess Girls, #7)
  • Medusa the Mean (Goddess Girls, #8)
  • Pandora the Curious (Goddess Girls, #9)
  • Pheme the Gossip (Goddess Girls, #10)
  • Persephone the Daring (Goddess Girls, #11)

“It's one of my inventions-a shampoo," Athena explained. "Anyway, I didn't know it would do"-she gestured toward the snakes-"that.” 4 likes
“Athena looked down at the map just in time to see Odysseus sink into the Mediterranean Sea. She must’ve dropped him when she fell asleep! “This is real water?” She reached for him, grabbing his foot in the nick of time. Something under the water’s surface nibbled at her finger. She bent to look closer. A grinning sea monster about ten inches long splashed out and licked her nose. “Ew!” she said, jerking back. Not only were the seas and oceans real, the beasts that lurked in them were too! Holding Odysseus in one fist, Athena quickly grabbed the bag at her feet with her other hand. After digging around in it a minute, she pulled out the little ship she’d found on the stairs on the way to class. “Here you go,” she said, plopping it into the Mediterranean Sea and setting Odysseus inside it. “This ship is just the thing to get you where you’re going. Once I decide where that is.” “Good save,” murmured Aphrodite. “Thanks,” she said. “But I almost drowned poor Odysseus. What a terrible thing to do to a poor, unsuspecting mortal!” “Don’t worry. You’ll get better at this stuff after a while,” said Aphrodite. But what if I don’t? worried Athena. What if I make a mistake and do something like that to another mortal someday? Like Pallas, for instance. That would be awful! Athena was beginning to think supernatural powers were nothing but a big pain. Every little mistake the gods and goddesses made could cause trouble. And the whole world was watching their every move. So was Mr. Cyclops. Although he only had one eye, it seemed to notice everything. “You’d better get going,” Medusa told her haughtily. “King Menelaus just commanded Odysseus to bring Helen back from Troy.” “You–he can’t do that,” Athena protested. Aphrodite gently elbowed her. “Yes, she can,” she warned.” 3 likes