Start by marking “Ruffians” as Want to Read:
Ruffians

Ruffians

From the moment he signs his big contract with the NFL, Clay Blackwell's talents plunge him into a realm of ruthlessness, lawlessness and a conspiracy that makes playing for the Ruffians of Birmingham, Alabama, the most dangerous job a man could have.
Published December 1st 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ruffians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruffians

Reed Johnson
Feb 17, 2017 Reed Johnson rated it really liked it
I hope this isn't the true NFL.
Kellie
Dec 28, 2009 Kellie rated it really liked it
I remember Tim Green when he played for Syracuse and then Atlanta. Being from Syracuse, I’m a big Orange fan. Bob Costas hit the nail on the head when he said, of Green, “One is considered fortunate to be blessed with either brain or brawn. Tim Green has been blessed with both.” This is the first book I’ve read by Green. It’s a fantastic book about football as a rookie in the NFL. So many thoughts went through my head when I was reading. How much of this book was autobiographic? I hope almost no ...more
Steven
May 22, 2009 Steven rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of football or Tim Green
Enjoyable story about an ill-fated fictional NFL team that finally begins to win games after a maverick owner hires a do-anything-to-win coach. Soon nearly all the players are on the juice. The main character, a superstar in his own right, resists the pressure to take Steroids and the coach benches him until he finally gives in.

Interesting fictional journey into the "what-ifs." Although the main character is clearly autobiographical in many, many ways, nothing else about this book appears true.
Kay
Aug 22, 2008 Kay rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Men who like football!
Shelves: fiction
This is the first book Tim Green wrote. If it was the first book of his I read, I wouldn't have bothered with the rest! It is pure football without murder, mayhem, blackmail etc.. I'm just not a football type of gal! It did have the steroids aspect, but otherwise it was football, football and more football!
Sheila
Dec 19, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
A good read, but not too gripping. A lot of football play by play. Good for its insight into pro football. I would give it a 3 starts.
Michael
Great book by an excelloent author.
Jim Moffett
Aug 26, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it liked it
11-10
Ryan Rivera
Ryan Rivera rated it really liked it
May 18, 2011
Mike
Mike rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2012
Darlene Grant
Darlene Grant rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Jose Delacruz
Jose Delacruz rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Wicked Dancer
Wicked Dancer rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2009
Barry Erickson
Barry Erickson rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2010
Vesna Denić
Vesna Denić rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Johnathan Emhardt
Johnathan Emhardt rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Paul Harmon
Paul Harmon rated it it was ok
May 28, 2012
Jody Price
Jody Price rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2017
John Charles
John Charles rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Noran Satkowski
Noran Satkowski rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2009
ed musson
ed musson rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2017
koopajah
koopajah rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2010
Pat Murphy
Pat Murphy rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2007
RIck Marhula
RIck Marhula rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Todd Stolze
Todd Stolze rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Kschlueter
Kschlueter rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Rise and Walk: The Trial and Triumph of Dennis Byrd
  • The Boz: confessions of a modern anti-hero
  • Russell Rules: 11 Lessons on Leadership from the Twentieth Century's Greatest Winner
  • Pearl Harbor, 1941
  • Blue Blood: Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops
  • North Dallas Forty
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Magic Johnson: My Life
  • My Prison Without Bars
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • Splintered Icon
  • The Outside Man
  • The Bronx Zoo: The Astonishing Inside Story of the 1978 World Champion New York Yankees
  • Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler
  • The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant
  • Look Who's Playing First Base
  • You're Okay, It's Just a Bruise: A Doctor's Sideline Secrets About Pro Football's Most Outrageous Team
  • Tomahawk (Dan Lenson, #5)
Tim Green, for many years a star defensive end with the Atlanta Falcons, is a man of many talents. He's the author of such gripping books for adults as the New York Times bestselling The Dark Side of the Game and a dozen suspense novels, including Exact Revenge and Kingdom Come. Tim graduated covaledictorian from Syracuse University and was a first-round NFL draft pick. He later earned his law deg ...more
More about Tim Green...