Start by marking “The New Meaning Of Educational Change” as Want to Read:
The New Meaning Of Educational Change

The New Meaning Of Educational Change

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Over the last few decades there have been attempts at planned educational change. The benefits have not equalled the cost. Fullan distils from these experiences lessons about how to cope with, and influence, educational change.
Published April 26th 2007 by Routledge (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The New Meaning Of Educational Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Meaning Of Educational Change

This book is a long, entailed description of the education system as a whole, with several explicit examples of how and where educational change fails and succeeds. The book feels much like a discussion in which Fullan lets the reader engage his thought process and assume the stance of a willing participant in the struggle for reform. He makes many powerful statements throughout the book, but the most profound idea, which I believe captures both the spirit and mechanics of change, is that effec ...more
Nov 20, 2008 Pam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are change agents.
Recommended to Pam by: my C & I 707 instructor
This books would be boring for most people. Since I'm in a class on curricular change, it was interesting (but not facinating) to me. I think I've decided that change is too difficult. There is too much inertia in the school system and I'm not very good a being a pioneer. Michael Fullan is certainly the head guru of change in education. I can't believe he's been studying this stuff for the past 20+ years!
I read "The Meaning of Education Change," and like a fool, I purchased "The New Meaning of Education Change" when I was at a conference. To sum it up, the "new" wasn't really different from the "first" book.

I liken Michael G. Fullan to John Grey (men are from mars...) due to their prolific output with something that always refers back to something in the original title. In Fullan's case, it would be "change."

1. Leading in a Culture of Change — published 2007
2. The Six Secrets of Change -- publ
Stan Golanka
Shows how difficult it is to change education (for the better).
This is DENSE reading material. Luckily my classmates and I are taking it chapter by chapter for discussion and explanation.
A lot of solid, useful material but too broad. It would have been better done as a handbook on Educational Change.
Ismar Maryani
Ismar Maryani marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Rashida marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Scott Foley
Scott Foley marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
John Elphas
John Elphas marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Ahmed Khan
Ahmed Khan marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Peggy Cheng
Peggy Cheng marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Sean Offenberger
Sean Offenberger marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Barbara Alley
Barbara Alley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Angela added it
Jul 13, 2015
Lincoln Smith
Lincoln Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Yeva is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Ad marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Isabelle Trudeau
Isabelle Trudeau marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Leading Change in Your School: How to Conquer Myths, Build Commitment, and Get Results
  • Tinkering Toward Utopia: A Century of Public School Reform
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Unmistakable Impact: A Partnership Approach for Dramatically Improving Instruction
  • Discipline with Dignity: New Challenges, New Solutions
  • Curriculum 21: Essential Education for a Changing World
  • How to Give Effective Feedback to Your Students
  • Teaching Digital Natives: Partnering for Real Learning
  • Shifting the Monkey: The Art of Protecting Good from Liars, Criers, and Other Slackers
  • Guided Math: A Framework for Mathematics Instruction