Start by marking “Midnight Confessions” as Want to Read:
Midnight Confessions

Midnight Confessions

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  18 reviews
With a gift for creating lush, evocative settings that instantly transport the reader to intoxicating places, Candice Proctor now turns her remarkable talents to the dazzling splendor of old New Orleans, where the air is fragrant with mock orange and sweet olive–and danger wafts on the gentle southern breeze. . . .

Widow Emmanuelle de Beauvais devotes herself tirelessly t
Published May 28th 2002 by Ivy Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Confessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Confessions

Sanya
Candice Proctor writes beautifully, sensually about life, death and love in the hot New Orleans during the Civil war.
These are some thoughts that got to me, Emmanuelle is thinking about his saying I love you; or maybe it was the beautiful way Proctor writes:
"For some men, the words came easy. She knew that, knew it all too well. Some men simply loved women, all women, loved the siren call of silken hair sliding over a bare feminine shoulder, loved the soft smoothness of a woman’s flesh beneath
Amanda
This book is clearly different than the rest of Proctor's historical novels. This one is a mystery surrounded by some romance, but it's easy to see that Proctor wants the mystery to be the important feature of the book. I could not get into it from page one.

I gave it a chapter or two and still I could not enjoy it. It is so different than her other works, and I did not like the feel of it at all. The writing is classic, descriptive Candice Proctor, but the plotting and mood are that of a mystery
Patsyann
This book is my perfect romance:
- Two tortured souls find each other .
- Instant attraction
- A mystery to solve before they find happiness
- Slow sizzling sexual tension. First sex scene takes place during thunder storm!
- And it really helps that they are both attractive (at least to each other)
Not a lot of conversation, very definite descriptions of time, place and people. Story is as meandering as the hot southern city of New Orleans.
Loved the story, loved the romance and loved the mystery. All
Ana T.
I have previously enjoyed Candice Proctor's stories and this one seemed like a very interesting read. It is set in New Orleans at the end of the Civil War and it is a mystery. The heroine is a local doctor (well not exactly a doctor because that wasn't allowed but something similar) and the hero is a Yankee soldier.

They meet when Emmanuelle witnesses a murder and he is the one in charge of its investigation. The murder weapon was an original one and that is only the beginning. Several other mur
Gerrie
As always, Candice Proctor writes a richly atmospheric novel, with great character depth and development. And she makes the history of 1862 New Orleans - under occupation by the Union troops - come vividly alive. The only reason I gave the book 3 stars (really 3.5) is that I simply could not warm up to the heroine. But the rest of the book was a solid 4 stars for me.
Melissa
Great setting, Civil War-era New Orleans, but the heroine kept SO MANY secrets from the hero that after awhile it stopped contributing to the tension and started being just a tease. I will read more of Candice Proctor, though. It looks like she enjoys writing about some fairly unusual locales.
Regan Walker
Mystery and Love in New Orleans During the Civil War—a great romance!

Another great historical romance from Proctor, this one set in the time of the Civil War in 1862 in New Orleans, occupied by Yankee troops. Rich in intrigue, mystery and deep felt needs of the heart, it will keep you on the edge of your seat right up to the very satisfying epilogue.

It tells the story of Major Zachary Cooper, a Union soldier and the provost marshal of New Orleans, and Emmanuelle de Beauvais, a beautiful widow, m
Germaine Lefebvre
Proctor quando sa scrivere da Proctor. Anche se Night in Eden rimane insuperabile.
Macaron
Only the epilogue is really romantic. There is no romance between the characters. Resentment, suspicion, sex, but no romance.
The story focuses more on the murder investigation, but in the end, it's hardly believable.
Donna
Candice Proctor does a good job of naming plant and animal life as well as mentioning New Orleans landmarks and streets in this book. A fun and a light story.
Keri
In the end MC was a very good book. It did take a while to get into the book. It was a Civil War romance , during the time of Butler's rein of terror over New Orleans. Murders were taken place in New Orleans and it was up to Zack Cooper, the Provost Marshal to figure out who was committing them. He meets the beauteous practicing doctor and widow, Emmanuelle. They embark on a discovery of the twisted and dark secrets of their world. The also discover a love for one another that has the ability to ...more
Lena Donan
A čakám od nej aj nejakú tú čerešničku na torte. Už nabudúce.
Jun 28, 2011 Jennifer added it
Shelves: 2007-reads
Made me want to go back to New Orleans. But then, looking at linoleum or taking a really deep breath makes me want to go back to New Orleans. Fabulous reconstruction of Civil War Louisiana, not-so-fabulous plot. Serviceable, but not inspired, anyway.
Maldivianbookreviewer
Set in the sultry New Orleans, this book is a blend of intense passion and romance with suspense that makes it a fast page turner. Candice Proctor writes great romances. Really loved the epilogue!
My review: http://bit.ly/bP8JHt
Irishgirl1247
Just didn't draw me in. I didn't really love Emmanuel or Zach. They weren't bad, I just wasn't rooting for either of them.
Charles
One of Candice Proctor's romance novels. Lush and beautifully written. Lovely characters and very enjoyable.
Fairy / Anna
That was so long ago...
Oh! I remember, I didn't like Emmanuelle. Meh :/
Rachael
Loved the setting ... New Orleans, Vieux Carre!,,, My favorite city.
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Jiji
Jiji added it
May 24, 2015
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Wendy Williams
Wendy Williams marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Shubhada
Shubhada marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
shms
shms marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Prairie Moon
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • The Outsider
  • Undercover Lovers
  • Last Chance (Cassidy Men, #2)
  • Don't Look Back
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (Cameron Family Saga #2)
  • Worth the Trip
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • A Just Deception (Private Protectors, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • What the Heart Knows
  • Without Words
  • This Side of Heaven
  • Tactical Deception (Silent Warrior, #2)
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Choosing Chase
  • Now You See Him...
Candice Proctor, aka C.S. Harris and C.S. Graham, is the bestselling, award-winning author of more than a dozen novels including the Sebastian St. Cyr Regency mystery series written under the name C.S. Harris, the new C.S. Graham thriller series co-written with Steven Harris, and seven historical romances. She is also the author of a nonfiction historical study of the French Revolution. Her books ...more
More about Candice Proctor...
Night in Eden Whispers of Heaven September Moon Beyond Sunrise The Last Knight