Start by marking “Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

Along the Shore: Tales by the Sea

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,539 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
A wide-ranging selection of Montgomery's tales that exemplify her story-telling art. Linked by the presence of the sea, these are sixteen enchanting tales, previously unpublished, forming a memorable volume for fans of the creator of Anne of Green Gables.
Published June 1st 1990 by Starfire (first published May 13th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Along the Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along the Shore

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAnne of Avonlea by L.M. MontgomeryEmily's Quest by L.M. MontgomeryThe Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
Anne and Friends
22nd out of 113 books — 49 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleMaster and Commander by Patrick O'BrianTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
Nautical Tales
328th out of 453 books — 325 voters

More lists with this book...

Elinor  Loredan
Mar 26, 2016 Elinor Loredan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery, 2011
There are several extremely sad stories in this collection, I think because LMM always thought that the sea itself sounds sad. Mackereling Out on the Gulf, for instance, does not end in a happy ending for the hero, but it is very moving. Others are simply hopeless (The Waking of Helen, A Strayed Allegiance), yet they hold beauty. Most of the stories are actually funny and end happily. I love A Sandshore Wooing and Fair Exchange and No Robbery. The Unhappiness of Miss Farquhar holds a moral that ...more
Yue
It is so hard to say/think/write this, but I am a bit disappointed with this collection of stories. I am a hardcore fan of LMM and I know she was an exceptional writer, no doubt in that area. Her descriptions in these stories are wonderful as always; to me, every time I read her books is like visiting an old friend. It is like I've met these characters before, and like I've been in those places before.

Alas, not in this book. The characters at least. Except maybe for a couple of them, because the
Rosalba
Dec 16, 2012 Rosalba rated it liked it
Shelves: lm-montgomery
This collection revolves around stories connected with the sea, and, being in love with L.M. Montgomery's books, I was none too glad this was our December selection over at the L.M. Montgomery Book Club here on Goodreads.
I liked this stories, although not as I had liked other collections, say, the Chronicles of Avonlea. Perhaps it was not the wisest choice to collect L.M. Montgomery' s short stories in themes, it makes reading them monotonous. Some of them repeat the same formula, such as a ha
Jessie Barrett
I have mixed feelings about this book. L.M. Montgomery is a master storyteller and in this book she does not disappoint. But the book is made up of short stories and each story left me wanting MORE! Not just tidbits of reading pleasure! I want the buffet!
Hayden
Aug 21, 2015 Hayden rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, other-genre
I'm always a fan of L.M. Montgomery, but this collection was a disappointment. It contained a few "recycled" stories that had plots reused in other works ("The Life-book of Uncle Jesse" have a familiar ring? A boy named Paul with his rock people also made an appearance...) The thing is, I decided on this book because out of the short story collections of L.M. Montgomery that I haven't read, this one had the highest Amazon rating. huh. Most of the stories were forgettable and some downright ...more
Christina
Nov 26, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
As with all the collections, there are some good, some bad stories here. I tend to prefer Montgomery with a lighter touch (except when she goes REALLY REALLY dark, which is why I like the "Emily" trilogy and the "Among the Shadows" collection best), by which I mean the stories that just breeze along (heroic doggies! Ministers who wear raincoats! Love affairs conducted through telescopes using sign language!). Otherwise you get stuck with people who say "hitherto" in conversation and a lot of ...more
Kerry
May 04, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it
I was mildly disappointed in this collection of stories. Don't get me wrong, the stories were good. Its just that that the author recycled characters and plots from her earlier short stories for her books. So as I read these stories, I was reading (in some cases word for word) excerpts from books I had already read and I was hoping for something new. Captain Jim from Anne's House of Dreams, Paul Irving from Anne of Avonlea, even shades of Barney Snaith from the Blue Castle.... they are all in ...more
Laura Bang
Aug 20, 2015 Laura Bang rated it liked it
Some good, some meh, and unfortunately my least favorite was the last one so it left a bad taste. The arrangement was rather poorly done, too -- if you're going to have stories on a theme, then you have to at least separate the ones with the exact same plot so that they're not right next to each other.

Still, there are some good stories in here, and it's interesting to see some of the characters Montgomery later recycled in other stories, particularly the Anne books. And I liked the range of mood
Kerith
Feb 09, 2012 Kerith rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Many of the LM Montgomery short story anthologies can read fairly redundantly, since editor Rea Wilmshurst has grouped many of them into themes. This group of stories is less so - the theme is of stories by the sea, a place close to Montgomery's heart, and therefore the stories range from romances to children's tales to those of family love, all closely linked by place. Romances do tend to lead the way, of course, as she certainly does those best. Some characters will seem familiar (Paul and ...more
M Strawberry
I have to say that this collection was a bit better than 'The Doctor's Sweetheart' and 'Among the Shadows', though I didn't like two stories 'The Awakening of Helen' and 'A House Divided'. I know that most of these stories were written about a hundred years ago, but I was dismayed at the use of the 'n' word in the latter story I mentioned. But some of the other stories were good reads. If you're a LM Montgomery fan, then you should check out this collection. There's a few not-so-good stories, ...more
May 01, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
I don't like her short stories nearly as well as her novels because it seems like the point you get into the story, it's over. The are nice when you don't have a lot of time to devote to reading and I tend to read these as a story here and there while reading other books (I even set it aside for a bit). It's cool that her short stories are edited into themed anthologies. I noticed a few of the stories in this one are weaved into her later books...more fleshed out. I do love her descriptions of ...more
Sue
Aug 23, 2009 Sue rated it liked it
I like her short stories. They vary in quality, and don't all have happy endings, and these stories all related to the ocean. I enjoyed "The Life-Book of Uncle Jesse" published in 1909 that told of an old sailor whose wonderful stories were published for the world to read. I also liked "Four Winds" which was the longest and had more character development. It was about a young minister who falls in love with a relusive girl with a mystery and then ends with a twist. I don't read short stories all ...more
Tara
Jan 25, 2010 Tara rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Some beautiful stories, some witty ones, some simplistic ones. It's interesting reading a lot of Montgomery's short stories in a row, because they're often similar. Enough so that I can predict the outcome of most of the stories. But her writing style is still beautiful (although I only thought of it as "slow" when I was 12). Definitely a different pace, but almost always a feel-good story.
JG (The Introverted Reader)
These stories are primarily ones that never saw the light of day after being published in magazines in Montgomery's lifetime. There's a reason for that. I love reading more my L.M. Montgomery, but these are not my favorites. Maybe because they're grouped together by theme? The stories get very repetitive. And some of the stories showed up as scenes in her books. Fans of Montgomery should read these, but don't pick this up expecting to fall in love with it.
T. Finley
Because of my love of L.M. Montgomery's lesser known works, I started this book with high expectations. Maybe a little two high. The book wasn't necessarily bad, I just didn't think it could compete with some of Montgomery's other collections.
Did I like it? It was ok.
Would I reread it? Probably not.
Would I recommend it? Maybe for die-hard L.M. Montgomery fans. I wouldn't use this book to introduce new readers to the author.
Anna
Mar 19, 2014 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This collection of stories is somewhat uneven. My favorites are the witty like "Fair exchange" and the pleasant like "Unhappiness of Miss Farquar" while I dislike the unhappy and depressing like "The Awakening of Helen". This collection also has a lot of stories that made it into Montgomery's novels so if like me you have read all the novels several times those will seem a bit repetitious, although it is interesting to see the changes made when they became part of the various larger works.
Marlo
Jun 30, 2010 Marlo rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I finally had to give up on finishing this book. I wanted to like it, to become emotionally invested in the characters like I was with other novels by L.M. Montgomery. There just wasn't enough there. Some of the short stories were sweet and touching, but most were saccharine. The lighthouse story was probably the only one I would recommend.
Charity
Jun 25, 2008 Charity rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Anne of Green Gables series
Yet another great book by the author of the Anne of Green Gables series! Here in this book are many short stories written by L. M. Montgomery, that were for various magazines of her time; amazingly enough if you've read the Anne of Green Gables stories, you'll likely reconize MANY of the short stories in this book, that helped create the series.
Kimberly
I'm not much of a short story person...I'm not sure why. I did, however, enjoy many of the stories in this collection. From reading some of the other reviews here, I have to agree that fans of L.M. Montgomery will either love this book because it's more Montgomery, or they will be unsatisfied with the recycling of some of her characters/plots.
Kate
May 23, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
One of my favorite collections of Montgomery's short stories. The woman loved the sea, and it sparks up the short stories, most of which were written for cash from magazines and tailored to specific audiences. The shore lifestyles appeal to me more than the farmland stories, so I prefer these stories to many of her others.
Megan
Jun 23, 2015 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This book is a collection of short stories and is really very sweet. If you've read the Anne series then you will be able to recognize LM's style pretty quickly, but that doesn't make it any less fun to read.
Heidi-Marie
I love Montgomery's short stories! I love her writing, but I don't always have time to read an entire story. Short stories are the best solutions. And she is still just as descriptive of scenery and forms great characters. I especially like this one with all of the seaside settings.
Hessie
May 23, 2013 Hessie rated it really liked it
A lovely read for any Montgomery fan. It isn't my favorite collection of hers but it is interesting to compare these earlier writings to her later ones. You can see the depth that she developed as a writer over the years. You can also see where the best of the stories ended up in her novels.
Emily
Aug 30, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
The stories are well-written, and I wished that some of them could go on longer. Some of the personalities and settings would be familiar to someone who has read more of Montgomery's works, but they were well done.
Heather
Jul 19, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
As with all books of short stories, some are better than others but I enjoyed most of these.

'A Sandshore Wooing', is LM Montgomery's love story at its quirky best! And 'Four Winds' is her best classic love story.
AlixJamie
Jun 12, 2010 AlixJamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though some of these stories I had already read in her novels, there were new ones that really showcase Montgomrey's descriptive prowess and strong characters. Truly enjoyable!
Megan
May 15, 2016 Megan rated it liked it
Good, but the last story is the same story that included the racial slur in A Tangled Web. Totally disappointing.
Grete
Jul 27, 2011 Grete rated it really liked it
Several of the stories are from quite early in Montgomery's career (c 1900). My favorite is "The Wakening of Helen."
Betty
Feb 26, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing
Love these stories written in Montgomery's delightful style. I'm always certain of feeling good after one of her books.
Jul 07, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Same review for all of these books - I loved LM Montgomery's short story collections as a young girl. I read several of them :)
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • A Modern Cinderella
  • Tales of the North
  • The Road Past Altamont
  • Lunar Activity
  • The Family at Misrule (Woolcots, #2)
  • Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse (Cherry Ames, #9)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Thursday's Child
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • L.M. Montgomery
  • The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain
  • Heidi's Children
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...