Start by marking “A Disastrous History of the World: Chronicles of War, Earthquakes, Plague, and Flood” as Want to Read:

Tune into the news today, and one would think that human beings were at risk of being wiped from the face of the earth by tsunamis, earthquakes, swine flu, or terrorism. One could be forgiven for thinking that we are in far more danger today than ever before. The fact of the matter is that danger has always stalked mankind. From ancient volcanoes and floods to the cholera ...more
Published February 16th 2010 by Skyhorse Publishing (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Disastrous History of the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Disastrous History of the World

GoldGato
May 30, 2014 GoldGato rated it it was ok
Recommended to GoldGato by: Orinda Library
If you are looking for a general overview of various catastrophes of ancient and modern times, this book is okay. Each chapter is devoted to a specific disaster (quakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, madmen) along with the total count of human loss. I found the crazy leader section the most intriguing, noting that the Three Horsemen (Hitler, Stalin, Mao) did more damage than the plague.

However, I wasn't completely satisfied. There are grammar errors throughout and I was a bit upset that the author used
Rebecca Haslam
Feb 09, 2014 Rebecca Haslam rated it it was ok
I thought I was even just a little aware of some of the tragedies and disasters that have befallen the world in recent times, but this book proved me wrong to a huge degree. To think of all the lives lost, the stories mentioned in the pages of this book is to think of how fortunate we are, to still be living, to do so in relative safety. I feel for anyone who has lost a friend or loved one in such tragic circumstances as those mentioned in this book.
Matthew Barlow
Jan 01, 2015 Matthew Barlow rated it really liked it
Just a little overview. nothing spectacular.
Amanda
May 19, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
It took me a few weeks to read this book. Usually I get impatient when books take that long but this one was really fascinating. I had never heard about a lot of these disasters. There were some typos and I wish some of the events were described a little more. I liked that the book was divided into a lot of sections so it was easy to start and stop.
Mike Stuchbery
Dec 08, 2013 Mike Stuchbery rated it liked it
Fun little waltz through human misery.
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Vince Grey
Vince Grey rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Amy Prongs
Amy Prongs rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Fatima
Fatima marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Saila
Saila marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Giles Guest
Giles Guest marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Giovonni E
Giovonni E marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Joey King
Joey King rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Israel Montoya Baquero
Israel Montoya Baquero marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Philippa Stork
Philippa Stork marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Daniel Finnegan
Daniel Finnegan rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Manuel De Pool
Manuel De Pool rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Molly G
Molly G is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2016
Carolina Phillips
Carolina Phillips marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Raul Magdalena
Raul Magdalena rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2016
Ranjani
Ranjani marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Jenny Talarski
Jenny Talarski marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Cynthia Gutiérrez
Cynthia Gutiérrez marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Mike Lamb
Mike Lamb rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Joanna
Joanna added it
Jul 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
John Wihtington is a television producer and writer, Among his television credits are 'Royal London' (LWT), 'From Marx to the Market' (BBC2) and 'Global Gamble' (Channel 4). He writes regularly for newspapers and magazines and the author of Shutdown, a book about the effects of shipyard closures on Teesside.
More about John Withington...